LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake vs. K&N

shediesforhim

From all I read the SPT intake makes you lose power. I got a K&N typhoon because I read it did'nt lean out the mix, made moe power, and was tunable. I have had mine for about 4 month and I think it great. You can really hear the blow off valve and turbo spool.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Alright I'm not trying to hijack this though I kind of am..

I'm a complete n00b at engine work and am scared sh*tless of ruining my first car. That said, is the K&N Typhoon a simple bolt on job? I also heard not to use it with an off the shelf AP map because it only makes you lose power?

Before I purchased my Acessport, I had installed the Typhoon with a manual boost controller, and a fuel cut defender. On the stock tune, I estimated (using my G-timer and data collected before any mods) my car was putting out an average of 269 flywheel hp.

When I was stock, the timer calculated 248-253 flywheel hp consistantly.......right on the money.

Figure K&N, a little boost, you can gain about 20 ponies.

Unless you're running massive modded power, stick to stock.

Actually, wouldn't you see more of a gain on a N/A with a CAI or filter then you would on our turbo vehicles.

I think the filter becomes a limiting factor on how much air the car sucks again.

Then again I am no expert on either systems. So take my advise with a grain of salt.

Actually, wouldn't you see more of a gain on a N/A with a CAI or filter then you would on our turbo vehicles.

I think the filter becomes a limiting factor on how much air the car sucks again.

Then again I am no expert on either systems. So take my advise with a grain of salt.

The stock intake is very efficient. Very little performance to be gained to be and noticable performance decline to be had over time by going aftermarket.

Archived