LegacyGT.com

alignment off?

Rexmobbin

my car is less than a week old, and i have a slight issue that i also had with my WRX (maybe an AWD thing?) when i'm on flat ground, if i hold the wheel perfectly straight, the car will slightly veer to the left. therefore, i find myself constantly with the steering wheel very gently cocked to the right all the time. does anyone else notice this? or am i just unlucky? it's a very slight bit off, not really noticeable unless you're trying to notice it.

I had the same problem, but with the car drifting to the right. I took it in to my local dealer, and they tired to pass it off as a radial pull and just cross rotated my tires. Didn't help. Ends up their alignment rack is broken so they send me down to a nearby tire shop. A couple days and a couple of trips there later, they determine that the caster is out of spec. It is a non-adjustable parameter. The tire shop ends up loosening the front subframe and twisting it slightly on its mounts and retorquing it all back together. This got the caster back in spec, and the problem is 90% gone. In hindsight, I'm glad the dealer had to send me to an outside shop, as I'm pretty sure their solution is not in the Subaru playbook. Had it been up to them, it would just be deemed "normal" and I'd be left beating my head against a wall.

I don't think so. Really the subframe "twist" is not that big a deal. A couple bolts loosened, a firm shove and put it back to together and see if it did the trick. Could be production tolerances or it may have gotten thrown off is transport, who knows. My car still drifts to the right a tiny bit, but if I let go of the wheel, it'll take a good 5-6 count till it starts to go to the next lane (freeway driving). I can live with that, as no one has any business taking their hands off the wheel for that long.

Glad you got your issue fixed boostjunkie. I'm still having mine looked at. My car's now at a second dealer, for the 4th time to fix the same issue. I have my problems documented in the Warranty forum. They've also quoted the castor or camber issue to me, and that it is non adjustable. We'll see whether it gets fixed this time or not..

This is a post that keeps appearing time and time again. A lot of ppl are having the same issue and Subaru is taking no responsibility whatsoever. Take it to you nearest tyre garage and ask them to re-align. Yes it is a pain, Yes it is an expense to you but atleast you will know the alignment will be done right. Subaru are good at most things but this, they are hopeless. How do I know this, some issue with mine..... Adam.

My alignment issue is finally fixed. After going up to SoA and dealing with the District Service Operations Manager, they had me bring it in to a dealer that has full alignment equipment and all that. the DSOM made them print out before and after specs, and everything was all off. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm happy to report that my car drives straight now. What a happy day..

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay in responding. Hahaha, the whole thing took like 2 days. Becuase the dealer was having problems with their alignment machine or something, and then they didn't have the 05 specs, which is why I think my spec sheet says it's for a 2003 Legacy Sedan. What a pain in the butt. And that was just after I brought it in to the shop. Time frame from when I first reported the problem to the first dealer, to when it was finally resolved by the second dealer after going through SoA was like a good 3-4 weeks. Maybe a little longer... Now THAT'S a real pain in the butt.

LOL exactly, I know what you mean. And then you get the "a scratch, we didnt do that" I have heard that one a few times too. I repeat, NEVER let Subaru EVER touch yr rims or do a tyre rotation or welcome to Scratch World and Not Balanced Galaxy. Trust me, tell them this or suffer.... Adam.

Archived