LegacyGT.com

Tire chains on 2005 GT Wagon?

NSFW

The owner's manual says not to use chains on the stock tires. It doesn't say what tires you should use for chains, though...

BMorrisJ says he managed anyway:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=876153&postcount=9

Does anyone want to confirm or deny the wisdom of running chains (or cables) on the stock tires? Is anyone else doing it? Has anyone had the chains hit the body?

Can anyone recommend wheels / tires that DO fit chains? I'm guessing 6x17 would probably work?

Thanks!

The cops in WA can pull you over on the mountain passes and require you to put chains on even if you've got AWD. That happens rarely (maybe never) but I don't want to give a cop an excuse to ruin my day.

Also, if conditions are really bad, I may want to put on the chains for the descent back down, after a day or night skiing or boarding. Going uphill has never worried me since the hill makes braking more effective, but downhill is correspondingly worse. I've only felt the need to chain up once or twice in > 15 years of twice-a-week ski/boarding trips, but still. Better safe than sorry.

Anyone have experience with these cables? They claim to be designed for cars like ours where there isn't room for regular chains.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_app_guide.asp

For some reason this thread made me think of the pic someone posted here that showed the chick in the Mustang sitting on a hill in the snow with the snow chains on the front tires.:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I think the cable work well and they are thin so they should fit your car. Les Schwab also has small chains that look pretty good. I have never tried putting chains on my suby's and I can understand how it's not optimal but I would think there has to be some cable or chains that will fit well and keep the cops at bay. If you are running the stock RE92 tires, get some chains...those things are horrible in deep or slushy snow. I know you WA folk know deep and slushy, mostly deep right now:icon_mrgr .

What if you already have traction tires? They don't make you put chains on if you have studs right? In Oregon I have never had to deal with cops or check points in any snow condition. They just assume you are clued in to the conditions. In California they definatly check everyone during bad weather. I roll the studs all winter due to daily driving on ice and snow. Going to the mountain twice a week should be enough to justify some winter tires, why not those?

I just don't like studded tires, they're too noisy and slippery for the 90% of the time that they're not on snow/ice. I think they do exempt you from the chain requirement but I'm not sure.

And honestly I expect to use these chains like 3-4 times max over the life of the car. They're more for peace-of-mind than for actual usage. :)

The cops in WA can pull you over on the mountain passes and require you to put chains on even if you've got AWD.

AWD cars with tires that meet WAC 204-24-040 requirements are exempt from chains in WA state per WAC 204-24-050.

See item number 4 in FAQ.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/traction.htm

I have never been pulled over in my previous '98 Outback without chains.

You could also get the Nokian WR. 50K mile A/S tire with a winter traction device rating...supa badass!

http://www.nokiantyres.com/passengercars_product_en?product=610503&name=NOKIAN+WR#

Like I said, you can get cables but if they stay in your car all the time then they don't do much good. When you do use them, they will be a pain to install and they will have to stay really tight or they will ruin the wheel wells.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/files/nkr/ha_talvi/wr_tuote_iso.jpg

Bendite, I will be getting snow tires for sure. It's just a question of which ones. I was wrong about studded tires btw... I'm not sure if you're in WA, but:

Q: I drive a vehicle with studded tires. When DOT requires chains to be put on, do I need them with studded tires?

A: Yes. Studded tires are not a substitute for chains.

(from http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/traction.htm)

And also for MickeyD2005's edification:

Exception for all wheel drive vehicles. When "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles shall be exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices as specified in WAC 204-24-040 provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle.

(from http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050)

I asked a cop about this stuff years ago though, and was told that officers do have the power to require AWD vehicles to chain up, and if you don't have chains, you can get a ticket and will be sent back down the way you came. And that's what this is all about. If spending a few bucks on chains now prevents a cop from sending me back home on a day when it's dumping snow, just once, then it's worth it.

So you see Bendite, in these parts, chains can do some good if they stay in your car. :)

I've never been asked to put on chains either, even when driving an AWD car that nobody knew was AWD. I figured I'd have to eventually convince an officer that it really actually had AWD... never had to. But I'd rather buy chains now than risk getting denied a day of snowboarding when conditions are at their best.

(Actually, I kinda did risk it today...)

^^ Already knew that, but cops have never pulled me over.

I just wanted to be clear regarding this statement you made earlier, which is accurate but incomplete:

AWD cars with tires that meet WAC 204-24-040 requirements are exempt from chains in WA state per WAC 204-24-050

AWD vehicles are only exempt until/unless a cop says they really do need chains. Then they're not exempt. :)

Do not put chains on your subie unless you're going to put them on all four wheels otherwise you'll do damage to your differential. Remember, they will usually close the roads before making a four wheel drive put on chains.

Thanks for the info! Chains in Washington State mandatory at times...that's interesting. I am headed to Baker this winter and I will have to remember to carry some cables with me. Do you think they make you put them on or just show them? I am in Oregon and they just have a flashing sign on the road that says "chains or traction devices required". I have never seen anyone actually checking tires in Oregon. Probably why so many SUV's end up on there lid around here.

What about those Spider Chain things? I hear they are great for traction. They look pretty easy to install and it doesn't look like it would have any potential to rub the wheel wells. I don't know where you'd store them in your car? You would have to get a Thule box for the top just to store 4 of these but they look interesting. It's 10F outside right now and the roads are covered with ice and snow, should be a fun day on the road

http://spikes-spiders.quicksecuresite.com/

http://www.spikesspider.com/images/fitting%20diagram.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have spyder spikes for my GT. Takes about 30 secs to install. They work fine but are loud. Of course so are cables. I had to put them on to enter Yosemite Nat. Park last year.

They will not fit on an OB Beaner because there is not enough room in the wheel well's leading and trailing edges.

We all can dream...have a client who deals in military goods and has a bid on one for me...Do I have it in the driveway, no...Will I have it in the driveway...YES!

You must - MUST - bring it to the local MB dealership and ask where the parts dept is!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 2 weeks later...

So, did you pick up a set of chains? I like the idea of having a set as a anti-ticket device.

Like most here though, I have never put chains on any car while driving bad conditions. (rear wheel drive Mercedes & Volvos circa '80's, '78 honda civic, '98 4Runner, '89 Bronco II (worst car I ever owned), A4, '88 VW GLI Jetta). Personnelly, I think chains are more helpful when you might be way up in the mountains on a logging road that has a couple feet of snow on top of mud. Those are really slick conditions, next to ice of course.

Anyone know the ticket price for not having chains?

Cheers,

Mike

The cops in WA can pull you over on the mountain passes and require you to put chains on even if you've got AWD. That happens rarely (maybe never) but I don't want to give a cop an excuse to ruin my day.

Also, if conditions are really bad, I may want to put on the chains for the descent back down, after a day or night skiing or boarding. Going uphill has never worried me since the hill makes braking more effective, but downhill is correspondingly worse. I've only felt the need to chain up once or twice in > 15 years of twice-a-week ski/boarding trips, but still. Better safe than sorry.

Anyone have experience with these cables? They claim to be designed for cars like ours where there isn't room for regular chains.

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_app_guide.asp

Anyone know the ticket price for not having chains?

Even though they can give you a ticket, I don't think they actually give you a ticket. I think they make you turn back... at least that's what they did to my friend with his FWD Mazda.

I don't think they actually give you a ticket. I think they make you turn back... at least that's what they did to my friend with his FWD Mazda.

Well, that's good to know. I think the law is ridiculous anyways.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes, I got a set of SCCs from a local Discount Tire, for the 205/50/17 Goodyear GW3s that I also bought since I last posted to this thread.

I have no intention of taking my LGT on logging roads in the winter. I'll let a friend with an Outback drive for that trip. :)

Last I heard the minimum for any ticket was about a hundred bucks. However I can't see this kind of thing happening except on a busy road where cops would rather get you out of the way than spend the time to ticket you.

They did block I-90 to make chains required a couple weeks ago though, so there's precedent.

Archived