LegacyGT.com

Brake pad lifespan?

My Legacy GT waon just hit 40K miles, and I decided to swab the brake pads all around the 4 wheels. The dealer checked and told me I still got 7mm left in the front and 6mm in the back, no need to change at this moment.

What? I've been running around mixed during this 40K miles, and I am working around LAX area, living close to Downtown LA, 6pm traffic is typically bumper to bumper during this 18 miles trip, are these pads last longer then most of cars out there or what?:icon_conf

A lot depends on

- Driving style (hard on the brakes, anticipate stops)

- Brake caliper and pad dimensions

- Vehicle weight

- The roads you drive (straight, low speed stop and go, serpentine coastal highways)

- ???

We have a Toyota Tercel with 75K still on its original brakes and just changed the tires at 60K.

I drove Highway One up the Pacific Coast twice a month for 4 1/2 years in my Accord EX. I was constantly on the brakes due to the nature of the road and ate through 3 sets of brakes and 2 sets of Michelins MXV4 in 70K. That car used to eat up the back brakes faster than the fronts :confused:

It all depends.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I had to have my rear pads replaced under warranty by dealer around 25K miles. I thought it was strange to have the rear go out before the fronts...but it is what it is.

05 Legacy GT

Well, I talked with a Honda Tech when I was having the rears go before the front on my Accord EX. His explanation was that with the ABS controller the design of the braking system can be done in such a way as to redistribute or bias the braking forces. Don't know if he was blowing smoke :iam:

Any Subie Techs here that can shed some light on the topic?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

All Subarus come with EBD. Electronic Brake force Distribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_brakeforce_distribution

I think this system would keep the pads good for a very long time because it doesn't send a set amount of force to the front all the time. So it kind of spreads out the work to all four brakes.

All Subarus come with EBD. Electronic Brake force Distribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_brakeforce_distribution

I think this system would keep the pads good for a very long time because it doesn't send a set amount of force to the front all the time. So it kind of spreads out the work to all four brakes.

Oh yeah! that's it, I totally forget about this technology, Subaru's AWD has been so advance at distributing power to all those wheels, EBD makes a lot of sense to work independently to control those brake forces...it also help to even the pad life...I guess Subaru also wants to even the charge too, the dealer asked for $280/front and $260/rear brake service!:icon_mad:

Archived