LegacyGT.com

Interest? -- NorCal April 2007 Drive, BBQ, Camping

ZinFreak

After reading the new Performance magazine and seeing the write-up on an Alaskan owners BBQ that drew a whole 30 cars, I figure we can do far better than that here in Northern California.

So, I'm trolling for any interest in the following

- Drive from Santa Rosa out to the coast, up Highway One, then back through one of my favorite drives through Stewarts Point-Skaggs Springs Road to Lake Sonoma Picnic/Campground. This is roughly a 3.0 - 3.5 hour drive of some of the most spectacular twisty roads and scenery in Sonoma County. The 1 hour ride up the Sonoma Coast is breathtaking.

- Have a blow-out BBQ at the picnic grounds of Lake Sonoma

- (Optional) Group camp after at the Lake Sonoma Liberty Glen camp site.

I'd like to make this a family affair. The site and campground has a great play area for kiddos. However, kids or S/O's aren't required, or rent one for the weekend.

I plan to cross post this on the Forester Owners and NASIOC sites. If I can generate enough interest I'll talk to my favorite local Subie dealer, SOA and maybe some bay area tuners to throw in some goodies or display some goods.

Date is in flux at this point, turns out the Forester folks in the Bay Area may be contemplating a 4th Annual Drive & BBQ in late April or early May 2007. I'm on that list as well and talking with one of the coordinators of their last drive/meet that ended up doing almost exactly the same drive.

So at this point, I need to start a headcount. I know it is early, but 5 months will fly by. If this turns out as big as I think it could be, I'll need the time to put things in place.

Hit me with a PM or reply if you have any interest, I'll keep a running headcount in this thread.

Can this be sticky'd in the NorCal forum?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Cool. I've been chatting with an organizer of the Forester group's drive/bbq from 2006 and we will get together in early January to lay down the plans.

We would probably end up with 2 drives

- Cautious drive up Hwy 1 to Skaggs Springs then in bound to Lake Sonoma ( see pleiad7's notes below )

- For those not interested in burning up the coast, a leisurely drive and wine tasting up Dry Creek Road

Both would end up at the north end of Dry Creek towards Lake Sonoma. There is a large BBQ area with volleyball pits and tables.

For those so inclined, a pretty nice campground (Liberty Glen) is about 5 miles up the road in the hills overlooking the lake. We like hitting the campground in the Spring before the yellowjackets take over. I think the Forester group also worked out discounted rooms at a local hotel for those making a weekend of it.

Anyone know if the Bay Area contingent of NASIOC is alive? I've heard rumors that it is dead. I've registered on that site but haven't done much poking around yet.

Stay tuned and let me know if you are interested.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

We went on the 06 North bay drive/bbq with the FXT crowd, and it was a blast. We went on the leisureley drive/wine tasting and it was loads of fun. We would be down for camping the weekend at lake sonoma.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

- Spirited run up Hwy 1 to probably Skaggs Springs then in bound to Lake Sonoma

Spirited drive and Hwy 1 do not combine well... it's way too crowded, even in April/May, and you always wind up behind slow trucks or RV's. You have to hit up the lesser traveled, more fun roads... Coleman Valley, Meyers Grade, Ft. Ross, King Ridge, Tin Barn, Annapolis... then out Stewarts Point/Skaggs Springs toward Lake Sonoma. :icon_wink

Anyone know if the Bay Area contingent of NASIOC is alive? I've heard rumors that it is dead. I've registered on that site but haven't done much poking around yet.

The BAIC crowd hangs out at i-club, not NASIOC. Unless i-club is down. :lol:

Spirited drive and Hwy 1 do not combine well... it's way too crowded, even in April/May, and you always wind up behind slow trucks or RV's. You have to hit up the lesser traveled, more fun roads... Coleman Valley, Meyers Grade, Ft. Ross, King Ridge, Tin Barn, Annapolis... then out Stewarts Point/Skaggs Springs toward Lake Sonoma. :icon_wink

^^^ What pleaid7 sez... I've driven Highway 1 twice a month over the last 5 years from Jenner to Sea Ranch. It is hit or miss for traffic, some days it is a mess getting stuck behind an RV, others it is clear sailing. Once on the connecting roads listed above you won't see many vehicles.

I've edit my post above to reflect a conservative albeit cautious drive up Highway 1. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

^^^ What pleaid7 sez... I've driven Highway 1 twice a month over the last 5 years from Jenner to Sea Ranch. It is hit or miss for traffic, some days it is a mess getting stuck behind an RV, others it is clear sailing. Once on the connecting roads listed above you won't see many vehicles.

I've edit my post above to reflect a conservative albeit cautious drive up Highway 1. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

On the 2006 drive, we had a pro rally driver (Paul Eklund) of Primitive Racing lead the drive for the first 80% of the roads. He then returned early to help with some of the logistics, but when the local took over, there was a slight route change...and that's when the issue with the RS took place.

I-club would be the best choice I thank there was a bbq and drive last year around that time that was up in napa that had a nice turn out

The BBQ in Vacaville? Yeah, the attendance was great and it was a fun get-together. However, personally I would not want to go on a drive on real technical roads with most of the people who attended... unless I was running sweep in the way back!

However, personally I would not want to go on a drive on real technical roads with most of the people who attended... unless I was running sweep in the way back!

Ditto. Been on too many drives in the past which resulted in accidents... So, I'll drive behind you. :lol:

-Mike-

• 2 weeks later...

Archived