LegacyGT.com

seat heater problem

XgT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think there is actually a heater in the back... i think the heat just radiates up there sometimes.

I know my back doesn't get hot unless i've had the heater on for a long long time

that or mines always been broken too

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 months later...

I'm reviving this thread since it came up in my search.

I'm having the same concern as XgT so I looked through the ever so helpful vacation pictures and there IS indeed a heater element for the back portion of the seat. I too feel like it's really weak or just not working.

Anyone else experiencing the same phenomenon? (Bottom is hot but the back isn't equally as hot)

Today on the way to work I confirmed that the back isn't working. The passenger side is OK though. I'm going to order the heater element after checking that the one in there is still plugged in first. How messed up would that be if it's just unplugged from moving the seat back and forth or something? :lol:

What sucks is it's cold enough for me not to want to work on the car. I can just picture myself getting the heater element and then not putting it in until the spring!

If I do have to replace the element I'll take some pictures for you guys.

If your planning on replacing the heating element yourself my dealer told me it was a huge PITA for them. They had the car for a couple days. They weren't too specific with what they had troubles with though.

I reviewed the manual last night and it didn't look too bad.

I'll look it over again tonight and see if I missed anything.

If they had the car for a couple of days due to waiting for parts that's one thing but if it took them a couple of days for primarily labor well, that's just absurd.

If your planning on replacing the heating element yourself my dealer told me it was a huge PITA for them.

That's another reason I'm replacing my own, even with plenty of warranty left at only 14k miles. If it's a difficult job on such a vital part of the car (taupe leather = easy to damage), I'm going to trust my work over that of a frustrated Suby tech who would rather be doing an easier, more profitable job.

I am having the same problem. The driver's bottom cushion heater is not working, the back heater is fine. On the passenger side both are fine. Does anyone remember if there's just one harness for both the bottom and the back heaters, or separate? I might have knocked it out when I was installing the subwoofer.

That's another reason I'm replacing my own, even with plenty of warranty left at only 14k miles. If it's a difficult job on such a vital part of the car (taupe leather = easy to damage), I'm going to trust my work over that of a frustrated Suby tech who would rather be doing an easier, more profitable job.

Ditto.

I am having the same problem. The driver's bottom cushion heater is not working, the back heater is fine. On the passenger side both are fine. Does anyone remember if there's just one harness for both the bottom and the back heaters, or separate? I might have knocked it out when I was installing the subwoofer.

River Vale huh? I'm next door in Old Tappan (Grew up in River Vale).

I will post up diagrams of the exploded seat view tonight when I get home from work. I think there are 2 harnesses (1 for the bottom and 1 for the top) but I have to triple check that later tonight.

Actually it took them over a month to get the part in (don't get me started on that). The dealer changed ownership and a few things fell through the cracks (like my part order). They had the car for 2 days doing the install.

As far as frustrated techs doing the install.. I'm sure it can be frustrating doing a stupid (to them) seat heater install but profit has nothing to do with it for them. They get paid the same either way. Also, if they fubar the leather they have to pay to fix it. Whereas if you fubar the leather you have to pay to fix it. Speaking of, does that mean you're paying for the heating element as well?

Actually it took them over a month to get the part in (don't get me started on that). The dealer changed ownership and a few things fell through the cracks (like my part order). They had the car for 2 days doing the install.

As far as frustrated techs doing the install.. I'm sure it can be frustrating doing a stupid (to them) seat heater install but profit has nothing to do with it for them. They get paid the same either way. Also, if they fubar the leather they have to pay to fix it. Whereas if you fubar the leather you have to pay to fix it. Speaking of, does that mean you're paying for the heating element as well?

I'm paying for it out of pocket. I think one was about $85 and the other was a little over $100?? I'll verify this later tonight.

As far as dealing with messing up the leather, I can deal with that. I don't expect any problems with doing this myself though.

EDIT: If you feel safer dropping it off at the dealer that cool, doing this by yourself isn't for everyone.

Yikes, that's crazy. Whatever floats yer boat!

EDIT - I've been assuming for some reason that your car is still under warranty. If it isn't I would also consider putting the element in myself, but that probably wouldn't last long.

Mine is under warranty but it takes something much more than just a seat heating element to make me bring it in. I prefer to do all work myself although there are some things I will pay others to do for me, this just isn't one of them.

So I have the same issue with the bottom warmer on the drivers side being waay too hot, and the back warnth being non existant.. I want to rip that thing out of the bottom of the seat and throw it in the back area...After a long day of snowboarding is about the only time I even think about turning my heater on but then I dont because I want the heat on my lower back not my ass... I havent tried sitting in the passenger seat one I dont think.. I just think that if the engineers at Subaru were really badasses they would have given us dual-zone seatwarmers with individual warming control...just my $.02

Warm back, cold a$$ here too...I have cloth not leather, so it isn't something I feel the need to get fixed right away. Really disappointed though...a car made for cold climes and my seat heater doesn't even last one winter...WTF? Let us know how dealer repairs go...what they eff up so the rest of us can be on the watch. Thanks.
It is still ugly.

OK well I found something interesting. One of my diagrams show the seat heater as one whole unit with one half on the bottom cushion and the other half on the back of the seat. It looks like it's one circuit throughout the entire thing with one plug (which makes obvious sense).

Take a look:

http://www.joon525.com/images/SeatDiagram.jpg

NOTE: I know it says that this is a manual seat but the power seat has almost the same diagram and the heater element portion of the 2 diagrams are exactly the same.

BUT then I go to look up the part number and find that there are 2 part numbers!??

Take a look:

http://www.joon525.com/images/SeatDiagramPartNumbers.jpg

Seat cushion (bottom): 64111AG00A $89.46 at www.subaruparts.com

Seat back: 64111AG02A $69.05 at www.subaruparts.com

So I'm thoroughly confused right now.

I also looked over what's required to swap these out yourself. It's not hard looking but it looks like it will take a little time. Definitely not as quick as installing an intercooler or swapping the stereo. I know I can handle it but I would prefer to know what the hell is up with the dual part numbers vs the first diagram. If there's 2 parts then there should be 2 harnesses? Yet the first image only shows 1 harness?? WTF? Do the 2 separate heater elements connect to each other and then to one single line? If that was the case wouldn't neither of the elements work?

So now it might be a dealer thing. :icon_mad: I'm going to do some more research either later tonight or tomorrow. I tried to look under the seat to see if any connectors were loose but couldn't see much since the shape of the seat plus my OEM subwoofer blocks a lot. Some other night I'll have to go give it another go with unbolting the seat as well to tilt it up.

Hope this helps some of you. One last thing, the instructions said to undo "hog rings"....I'm going to assume these are just circular pieces of metal with a slit in it that you can twist to free it from another ring or in this case a metal rod?

I'm leaning a little more towards the "2 heater elements" side because I've found information/diagrams from the first source to be incorrect.

Archived