LegacyGT.com

seat heater problem

XgT

Also, if you look at the electrical diagram, it shows 1 harness with 4 pins. Otherwise how would the top work and the bottom not? My part source also indicates two separate parts for the top and bottom. A mystery?

I was going to check an electrical diagram as a next step. Glad someone else thought of it.

I'm guessing 4 pins for positive and negative for both back and bottom.

How strange would it be if the female portion accepted 2 male portions (top and bottom)? I've never seen a plug like that but I guess it could exist. I'm wondering if one of the wires for the back portion is just not making good contact.

Because of this confusion I'm not actually thinking about letting the dealer do this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments.

I've used my heaters every day for the cold half of the year, and they all work fine. I do notice the heat transfers differently depending on what clothes I wear. If I remember to take off my coat once the seat starts warming, it roasts my back, but if I have a sweater or coat on, I don't feel a thing. Same with what kind of pants I'm wearing.

Just a thought to consider before everyone goes out and swaps parts wholesale to get more heat...

Interesting comments.

I've used my heaters every day for the cold half of the year, and they all work fine. I do notice the heat transfers differently depending on what clothes I wear. If I remember to take off my coat once the seat starts warming, it roasts my back, but if I have a sweater or coat on, I don't feel a thing. Same with what kind of pants I'm wearing.

Just a thought to consider before everyone goes out and swaps parts wholesale to get more heat...

I checked both seats. I turned them on at the same time and tested them both out with the same clothes on and the passenger one was noticably hotter than the driver side.

Interesting comments.

+1

http://www.joon525.com/images/SeatDiagramPartNumbers.jpg

I'm leaning a little more towards the "2 heater elements" side because I've found information/diagrams from the first source to be incorrect.

In the diagram of the seat assembly above it shows a connector coming from the back heater (18) and two connectors on wiring for the bottom heater (12). The back plugs into the bottom's wiring harness, and the bottom's harness plugs into the wiring coming from the seat heater switch.

In the diagram of the seat assembly above it shows a connector coming from the back heater (18) and two connectors on wiring for the bottom heater (12). The back plugs into the bottom's wiring harness, and the bottom's harness plugs into the wiring coming from the seat heater switch.

Nice. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Finally had the driver seat cushion heater replaced under warranty. It took them 3 times: the first time they returned the car without fixing anything, saying it was working fine. The second time they ordered the wrong part. Finally, today it was done. The part number is 64111AG14A.

• 7 months later...

The bottom on the drivers side just quit working on my 05obxt and it is 5 days out of the 3/36 warranty. :spin:

So I start off asking the service department if they've had any problems with seat heaters quiting working or know anything about them. Blank stare, don't have a clue. Next stop is the parts department. I ask the guy to get me a price on the bottom cushion seat heater. So he comes back with the part #64111AG14A and $117.20 I told the guy ok, well let me go home and make sure it isn't a connection or something. So I type the part # into google and the first thing that comes up is that there is a TSB about it. Something about the seater element pattern can cause an open circuit and the design has been changed for the 06/07 years. http://www.thel7.com/TSB/07-61-07.pdf

Then I look up the price and find out on http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=64111AG14A that the list is $89.60 and they sell it for $68.28 + 9.95 for shipping.

So I call my dealer back and say hey, "the list is $89.60". Long pause, ok, I can sell it to you for that. Oh, thanks!!! for selling it to me for FULL list price and not f'ing me up the wazooo. I asked if I could get a discount on the list? He tells me I need to call back and talk to someone else about a discount? WTF? Is this how people do business these days? They could have made a few dollars from me, now they are making nothing and I will never go back.

Also, the guy screwed up and gave me the paper with their info on it. Their cost is $53.76, and list $89.60. The paper says GP%(gross profit) 54.1%

So is this normal for a Subaru dealership to jack up prices over list???

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally got around to replacing the seat heater. Took me about 2 hours total, taking my time. If I had to do it over again probably 1 hour. The wire in the old one wasn't broken, but it was burn't. It's not too hard to get the seat apart. After taking it out of the car, you just take off both side panels and then about 6 bolts and the bottom of the seat pulls completely out of the frame. Pry the leather up and get to the 6 hog rings and pivot the leather cover to the side and the seat heater is exposed. For those that dont know how the leather material is held to the seat, they sew extra material in between the two pieces of connecting leather, which creates a little tube and then slip a metal rod down that. In the seat bottom are metal wires, etc and you take a ring of metal called a hog ring and hook the two together. They fit pretty snug so it is a wrestling match to get them connected, but not that hard with a couple pairs of needle nose. Here are a couple pics of the bottom seat heater. The one on the left is the new one with a redesigned wire shape in the middle. Not sure what makes the big difference, because both still go under the metal rod running across the seat to hold the leather down in the middle. Seat is nice and toasty now, actually seems to get hotter than before.

Will

http://webpages.charter.net/lewishome/subaruseat02.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/lewishome/subaruseat01.jpg

• 9 months later...
So the back and bottom are all one piece? We have the same problem as many' date=' driver's seat back has no heat, seat bottom singes your A**. Out of warranty of course, and looking to do it myself as inexpensively as possible..[/quote']

No, the back and bottom are separate pieces. In my pictures, even though it looks long, that is only the bottom heater. Not sure how difficult it would be to replace the back heater.

• 2 weeks later...
i have the same problem with the butt portion of the seat, mine went out of warranty 24 days ago! i called subaru of america and told them about the TSB and whatnot but they have no record of it. we'll see where this goes.

Doesn't matter if they have a record of it or not, the TSB was not about them fixing it for free. It was only to tell the service manager that there was an updated bottom seat heater if a customer had a problem. You still gotta pay. Of course if your car was still under warranty, they would fix it for free.

Also, did you click on this link and get the printout.... http://www.thel7.com/TSB/07-61-07.pdf

yea, my car is like 24 days outa warranty, the repair estimate was much lower than the ones posted here the dealer quoted me at 225 or so for parts and labor. if SOA meets me at least 1/2 way on that i'll be happy, but the guy on the phone sounded like they were gonna take care of me.

well guys add me to the list i just got an 05 obxt and passenger side is hot hot and drivers is cold, dunno about the back, ill check on that later, but the butt is dead. Ill take pics when i get around to fixing it, since its almost december 1st its high on the list

• 3 weeks later...

Well, add me to the list. The seats (driver & passenger) are now getting so hot that we turn them off after the first cycle. No visible burn marks. Does anyone have any more pictures on taking off the seat cushion and doing the replacement? I am a complete noob at this kind of work...

Cheers,

Mike

Archived