LegacyGT.com

No owner's manual, so 4 questions

My 2005 GT Ltd came without an owner's manual. The dealer is getting me one, but it's not here yet. So I have some questions...

1) Can this car accept chains? I assume so, but the tire shop clerk said I should check my owner's manual first.

I'd be shocked if the answer was "no, " since the law here says you have to have them with you and put them on if an officer asks you do. (Which is unheard-of, but if I meet a grumpy officer and it costs me one snowboarding trip...)

2) If "yes," do the chains go on the front or on the back?

3) Is there a fuse that I can pull to disable the air conditioning, without disabling anything else? I think I'd be happier with the auto climate if it would just let the temperature go down slowly. It's cold enough outside that AC really isn't necessary. (And won't be until June, or perhaps May if we're lucky.)

4) If "yes," where is that fuse?

Thanks!

Surprise:

Tire chains cannot be used on tires listed below because of lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body.

" 2.5-liter turbo models (except OUTBACK):

215/45ZR17 tires

Looks like fuse 22 would disable the AC (good), but would also disable the rear window defogger (bad). Fuse position 15 is unused, I'll have to see how hard it would be to use it for the AC or defogger circuit.

Surprise:

Looks like fuse 22 would disable the AC (good), but would also disable the rear window defogger (bad). Fuse position 15 is unused, I'll have to see how hard it would be to use it for the AC or defogger circuit.

i got a set of chains (cables??) that worked just fine on stock slidestones...:lol:

if the AC is not needed it just won't run.

Subaru and I clearly have different opinions of what "needed" means. If it were up to me, I'd never have felt it yet, and wouldn't for another few months. :)

It might not be as annoying if I didn't have cold - my nose is kind of unhappy to begin with - but I still see no point in sacrificing fuel economy for it. Mostly I just don't want to feel cold air on my hands / in my face when I'm otherwise quite confortable.

I realize AC can defrost a car a little quicker, but IMO it's not that big of a deal. I'd trade the extra-speedy defrost (which I might use twice a week at most, for a couple minutes) to improve the climate control (which I use any time I'm in the car). My old car defrosted quick enough with the AC off, I'm sure the Subaru will be better still... I don't think it's a big loss.

Subaru and I clearly have different opinions of what "needed" means. If it were up to me, I'd never have felt it yet, and wouldn't for another few months.
What meier motor sports said above. In general, if you use any of the AC/heat/vent controls it puts that control into manual mode. The first thing I do after starting in the (not hot) morning is to set the AC off (set off if it's on, or set on-off if it's not on). I also don't like how it often sets the air flow to recycle, so I habitually manually set it to fresh air after starting. If I do use defrost that again turns on the AC, and if I don't want AC I just press the AC button again. It is a bit annoying to need to out-think the computer, but it's not bad after you get used to it.

I bought my car in the winter and gave up on "auto" just about immediately. When it's below freezing out and I've got the thermostat set to 75, the AC should never kick on. I don't know what they were thinking, but I don't like it. So I don't use the auto and I'm happy not to. That was a great workaround, but I don't care enough to pay that much attention to my fan. I'll just keep working it myself.

Archived