LegacyGT.com

Front Diff Failure?

JuxtaGT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er, what did they say? I know it's a crap shoot, but are they pointing the finger at you? If more power is the issue, why wouldn't the clutch or gear set burn up before the center diff? No SOA rep was involved for me, in fact, there was never a point in which my mods were even debated.

I hate this crap. No consistancy between dealers, or even SOA. Take a chipped Porsche with header back exhaust in for warrenty drivetrain work like this and nobody bats an eye.

Okay, problem was several bearings in the center diff, guess if one starts to go they all start going.

Recap of symptoms: Humming noise above 45/50 mph that sounds like it's coming from the trans somewhere. Noise becomes mechanical rotation/bearing noise at lower speeds, but is present at all speeds. Pushing in the clutch and putting the car in neutral does not stop the noise. Pushing the gear shift lever against the side (like going into reverse or fifth gear) of the transmission changes the pitch of the noise. Throttle also changes pitch/level of noise.

Parts Replaced:

32145AA030 Gasket Case R

806322040 Roller Bearing

806330080 Roller Bearing

806230170 Ball Bearing

38913AA101 Center Diff AY

Hope this helps anyone who is having a similair problem.

Same exact problem. All parts are identical.

Denial is your best friend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, appears it's a front wheel bearing after all. Also learned that warranty apparently will not cover the cost to fix it if you tell them you hit a curb. I guess I didn't really want to get new golf clubs anyways.

Well, appears it's a front wheel bearing after all. Also learned that warranty apparently will not cover the cost to fix it if you tell them you hit a curb. I guess I didn't really want to get new golf clubs anyways.

:lol: why would you tell them that? just play dumb. :icon_tong

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo!!! :dm::dm::dm::dm::dm:

My service guy at Subaru (SLC) just called me! My center diff is fixed and replaced! He said he drove my car and the clutch makes a little bit of noise because it is aftermarket (duh) but that is the only problem now! He even saved my JDM Extra-S but couldn't put it back in because it would void the warranty... What a nice guy, though. I've been without my car for over a week!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to pick it up.

• 2 years later...

I've been having a whining sound also, but its only when I have my foot on the floor at high RPMs (which is rare). Most noticeable in first gear, not as pronounced in second. I just had my car in for a rear wheel bearing warranty replacement and the tech said my front pinion bearing was making noise. I didn't mention the noise I hear to the dealer because its rare that I abuse my car and I forgot all about it.

Would that be related to the noise I mentioned?

What does replacing that bearing involve, could I do it myself?

Archived