LegacyGT.com

Front Diff Failure?

JuxtaGT

I have read through all the threads about wheel bearing failure, and believe that is what my issue is. What concerns me is my "jet engine turbine" noise is somewhat throttle as well as speed dependant. The noise doesn't go away when I let off the throttle, but it does quite down somewhat.

Has anyone actually had a front diff failure diagnosed and fixed? Or, did it turn out to be the ubiquitous wheel bearing issue?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ask because I've read a few people having the rear diff replaced due to noise. The whine is very noticeable at 55/60+.

Car is at 36k. Have changed the trans/diff fuild twice now, once at 17k and again at 33. Changing at 33k had no effect on the whine, which seemed to appear at 26k-ish.

interesting....because I have the same whining noise as well. it starts at about 50mph but once I let go of the gas to coast it goes away and as soon as I acclerate you hear the whine again. I did have my rear diff replaced a few months ago for a different reason. I had a friend in a car who is a mechanic Ford and mentioned the noise is definately not from wheel bearings. He feels its coming from the gears in the rear.

I have to eventually bring mine into MSPT for Dave to diagnose. He's going to tell me I am crazy but this is whinning sound is driving me crazy!

Let me know what you find out. I'm most interested in fixing this problem.

Bluechip, is the sound you are getting coming from the front or rear? Mine is def from the front.

I suppose it may not be the diff itself, but a support bearing in the assembly maybe? :iam:

Ah... unless it is really loud or there is vibration along with it... I wouldn't worry about it.

Depending on the temperature... I get a lot of different high pitched whines from the turbo, differential, and gearbox.

^ Most likely true, been this way for 10k miles now and no different. Really I just wanted to see if someone whith this issue had found a cause and maybe even a solution.

Pointless to take it into the dealer. Stg II motor + coilovers & sways = no love without $$$$

It's my baby though, and I don't like it when she makes funny noises (well, only when I WANT her to make funny noises).

juxta have u inspected your wheel bearing? do you know how? im tell you. lift the wheel off the ground and rick it back and forth in the 12 and 6 position. if you feal play figure out if its from the wheel bearing or your lower ball joint. if you can reach around to get part of your hand on the axel shaft and part on the hub so your on both at once you will be able to tell if its the wheel bearing with play or some other part. you might need a friend to help move the wheel while you feal. but you also may not feal anything

^ I posted in the NorCal forum asking if anybody has had this problem so they could listen to mine. Scary as it sounds, I may be one of the more experianced mechs in this area, no luck so far.

I plan on checking the wheel bearing soon. Bum wrist from a mtb accident is making wrenching a bit tough right now.

Gear mesh on the ring/pinion will create gear "whine". That is definatly a potential. But to have that happen.. it would mean that one of the two gears have shifted... meaning a bearing failure or a ring bolt failure.

Very unusual to delelop a whine.... usually it is there from the start.

^ I have read about the ring & pinion before, not sure I remember much from the thread. If I had to guess, that is very near where the sound is coming from, because it sounds like the trans to me. err. Wish someone near me could diagnose.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's not the wheel bearing, this much I know. Having convinced myself it was the right front wheel bearing, I replaced it. Nope. I'm out $175 (tools included) and a few hours work. Pretty bummed at the moment, thought I had it.

So, could it be the half shaft? I inspected the boots to see if they had any tears or leaking grease, nope.

I'm starting to resign to the fact that this may be a pinion gear bearing problem. The noise definitely sounds like it's coming from the right front side of the car though.

I've seen a guy in Richmond, VA who went thru two sets of front ring and pinions in a WRX. They got worn down so bad the teeth were jumping and causing the case to flex. (I rebuilt his tranny myself) Eventually the case bolts snapped and the car locked up. There was a loud roaring noise leading up to this of course. The WRX was an auto-x car. Cause was never found, even after the second set was worn out.

Maybe his replacement rear diff had the wrong gears?? (Don't remember why he had the rear replaced) Maybe he hit a wheel on the side? I was also thinking the ceter diff was busted and in the "locked" mode (overheated/broke the clutch pack), causing too much stress on the front and rear diffs during turning. But, I've never learned how/if to test the center diff.

You would see plenty of metal during an oil change to show something is not right. Dark grey color, tiny shavings

Before doing an oil change, run the car in reverse on the lift for a few minutes. The front diff acts like a pump, circulating oil around the tranny. There are cavities to catch debris. running in reverse may pull some garbage back up front to the drain hole.

Scott

:eek: The teeth were skipping?!?!?!

In all the differentials I have ever set up / repaired... I've NEVER seen one skip teeth. I have seen broken teeth, broken ring gear bolts, broken bearings, etc... but I've NEVER seen one jump teeth.

How much case flex was there.... 12"? :lol:

:eek: The teeth were skipping?!?!?!

In all the differentials I have ever set up / repaired... I've NEVER seen one skip teeth. I have seen broken teeth, broken ring gear bolts, broken bearings, etc... but I've NEVER seen one jump teeth.

How much case flex was there.... 12"? :lol:

It was a guy named Chris ????. His handle at WRXfanatics.com was skeptic, or something like that.

He drives around the east coast racing his WRB 02 WRX. Middle eastern looking guy. Lives in Richmond VA. Nice guy.

Busted case bolts around the front diff!! We reused the case, did not see any cracks. So yes, they are flexable. I saw it with my own eyes. All the little bolts around the edge were OK, and tight. The four big bolts were all broken, or stretched so bad, they broke the second we tried to loosen them.

The teeth on the gears were razor sharp at the edges, and missing 15% of the over all legnth.

Archived