LegacyGT.com

Front Diff Failure?

JuxtaGT

Dude... not to be a jerk... but it has been making this noise since 11/22/06 and you STILL haven't taken it in to have someone look at it? If it is that bad, get it looked at.

Do you think it is going to get better all by itself? You are probably just causing more damage if it is a differential.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you are right, I should have taken it in already. But, I ordered the wheel bearing two and half weeks ago thinking that was the problem after much debate here. That turned out to not be it. So, it's not like I haven't been trying to work on this. The car drives fine, just makes a humming noise most noticable on the throttle. Since the car is out of warranty I was hoping this was a problem I could tackle.

I need my car, have to drive every day. Thanksgiving came around. Left for the holidays to New Mexico. Next course of action is to take it to in. I'm not exactly rolling in money this time of year though. So, ease up dude, some problems don't get fixed quickly or easily when you don't have the time, money, or resources to make things happen.

I wasn't pissed... I just was reading your original post again and realized that it had been over a month.... :eek:

I don't want to see ya chew up the internals any more than they already are... that's all. I :wub: ya, man! ;)

If you were anywhere near me I would easily jump in my car and come out and take a look at it. I don't like to see my fellow LGT brothers flounder.... :)

Here's the AVI file of what mine sounded like. It was the center diff. Car was supposed to be done yesterday, but won't be done until Tuesday. Please right click the link and save it to your computer. The whining noise isn't the turbo, and the chickchickchick noise you hear is what REALLY had me concerned.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~mcquiggc/centerdiff.avi

maybe pinion bearing/improper backlash in front diff........ask about it

Yeah... but backlash should only change with gear teeth wear over MANY MANY miles. Your diff shouldn't just "develop" excess free play.

Here's the AVI file of what mine sounded like. It was the center diff. Car was supposed to be done yesterday, but won't be done until Tuesday. Please right click the link and save it to your computer. The whining noise isn't the turbo, and the chickchickchick noise you hear is what REALLY had me concerned.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~mcquiggc/centerdiff.avi

Thanks for posting the clip. It's tough to tell if that is the same noise though. Think I'm going to ping Jeremy@Crucial at his new shop to have them give it a listen. This one is beyond me, time to take it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to start with the dealer on this, car went in this morning. I should at least try and get it done under warrenty, only 39k on the car.

Went on a test drive with the service tech. At least he heard and acknowledged the problem. Yeah, I'm not crazy (well, THAT crazy).

It seems to be working like this: Mechanic heard the noise when I drove around with him. He has a better understanding of where noises are really coming from than I do (I hope). He thought it sounded like it was coming from the center part of the trans. (center diff), so he started there. You can remove the rear transfer case and enclosed center diff/clutch pack without dropping the transmission. If inspecting that fails to provide the answer or fix the problem, then they will drop the trans to access the front diff and gear assembly. I talked with the service department this morning, and they seem to think that was the issue, but haven't had confirmation on that yet.

The moral of the story: I had totally psyched myself out about taking my Stg. II car into the dealer fearing that it would void my warranty, or they wouldn't fix it. A lot people on these forums seem to perpetuate these misconceptions. If they are a good dealer, they are going to take care of you. Obviously, if you have a heavily modified car, they might start asking questions. I also tend to think how you treat them helps or hinders your cause. Come in demanding they fix it, and they probably aren't going to help you very much. Come in with a good attitude, and things are easy. I mean, I'm having some issues with the KW coilovers in the car that the tech pointed out. I talked with him and the service advisor for a while about aftermarket suspension options, both of them suggesting options they have heard about. Pulling in to leave the car, I was in the middle of several modded WRX's and STi's. So, just take it to the dealer if you honestly think it's a warranty issue.

^I agree. I've been having all my work done by Dave @ MSPT which is AKA Metric Subaru so I am not worried about being at Stage 2. I relayed your info to him so he is anxiously awaiting to see what they find while he waits to hear when a rep of SOA is going to visit the dealership.

Okay, problem was several bearings in the center diff, guess if one starts to go they all start going.

Recap of symptoms: Humming noise above 45/50 mph that sounds like it's coming from the trans somewhere. Noise becomes mechanical rotation/bearing noise at lower speeds, but is present at all speeds. Pushing in the clutch and putting the car in neutral does not stop the noise. Pushing the gear shift lever against the side (like going into reverse or fifth gear) of the transmission changes the pitch of the noise. Throttle also changes pitch/level of noise.

Parts Replaced:

32145AA030 Gasket Case R

806322040 Roller Bearing

806330080 Roller Bearing

806230170 Ball Bearing

38913AA101 Center Diff AY

Hope this helps anyone who is having a similair problem.

Same sort of thing that mine was diagnosed with. I'd say those bearings are trouble. Mine was bad enough that it had burn marks through the case where the shaft comes through. The burn marks went all the way through (both inside and outside the case). Basically the whole diff and shaft was replaced.

Hope the new bearings last...

Okay, problem was several bearings in the center diff, guess if one starts to go they all start going.

Recap of symptoms: Humming noise above 45/50 mph that sounds like it's coming from the trans somewhere. Noise becomes mechanical rotation/bearing noise at lower speeds, but is present at all speeds. Pushing in the clutch and putting the car in neutral does not stop the noise. Pushing the gear shift lever against the side (like going into reverse or fifth gear) of the transmission changes the pitch of the noise. Throttle also changes pitch/level of noise.

Parts Replaced:

32145AA030 Gasket Case R

806322040 Roller Bearing

806330080 Roller Bearing

806230170 Ball Bearing

So all the bearings _and_ the diff? I would guess either or, or maybe just overzealous?

Which dealership did you go to? And how long did it take them to do diag?

It seems to be working like this: Mechanic heard the noise when I drove around with him. He has a better understanding of where noises are really coming from than I do (I hope). He thought it sounded like it was coming from the center part of the trans. (center diff), so he started there. You can remove the rear transfer case and enclosed center diff/clutch pack without dropping the transmission. If inspecting that fails to provide the answer or fix the problem, then they will drop the trans to access the front diff and gear assembly. I talked with the service department this morning, and they seem to think that was the issue, but haven't had confirmation on that yet.

The moral of the story: I had totally psyched myself out about taking my Stg. II car into the dealer fearing that it would void my warranty, or they wouldn't fix it. A lot people on these forums seem to perpetuate these misconceptions. If they are a good dealer, they are going to take care of you. Obviously, if you have a heavily modified car, they might start asking questions. I also tend to think how you treat them helps or hinders your cause. Come in demanding they fix it, and they probably aren't going to help you very much. Come in with a good attitude, and things are easy. I mean, I'm having some issues with the KW coilovers in the car that the tech pointed out. I talked with him and the service advisor for a while about aftermarket suspension options, both of them suggesting options they have heard about. Pulling in to leave the car, I was in the middle of several modded WRX's and STi's. So, just take it to the dealer if you honestly think it's a warranty issue.

Parts Replaced:

32145AA030 Gasket Case R

806322040 Roller Bearing

806330080 Roller Bearing

806230170 Ball Bearing

you have a 5 speed manual?if so a 5 speed manual center diff is completely different than a 5 speed auto>>.

Which dealership did you go to? And how long did it take them to do diag?

Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City. Brought the car in Monday morning. Was diagnosed and fixed by Tuesday afternoon (I was lucky they had all parts in stock, otherwise it would have taken a week).

Archived