LegacyGT.com

Race Gas

So I was at a delta sonic getting a car wash and noticed that they sell 100 octane racing fuel. So i'm thinking... 5 dollars a gallon....

What happens if I put this into my engine? would I see any difference? would it be harmful to the engine?

I do somewhat know that higher octane means less chance of knocking or something like that, and that higher octanes will only bring out the potential of the engine and would not gain more power.. so then does that mean that since 100 octane is higher than 93, you will see even more of the engine's potential....?? What's the point of 100 octane fuel on a stock engine?

If you have a Protune 100oct map you bet you can tell a difference:eek::)

The difference between a 93oct Protune map & a 100oct map is VERY noticeable!!!!

If you are not tuned for it though it's just a waste of $$

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

gotcha.

If I move to cali and have nothing but 91 fuel there, and i'm at a 93 TDC protune map, would I have to pay extra to get a different map? or would that be free?

Also, if I were to add mods, would I need a new map from TDC all the time? free or not?

Well, not much is going to happen except your wallet will be thinner.

Octane rating doesn't equate to energy content of the fuel. The octane rating is a measure of the fuel's "anti-knock" properties. Higher octane fuel takes more energy to start the flame front and therefore can be run in engines with higher compression ratios.

That's why premium fuel (higher octane) is "required" for turbo charged engines or engines with high compression ratios. Lower octane gas tends to pre-ignite under higher compression and causes engine knock (and destruction).

Put high octane gas in an engine designed for regular and nothing happens. No extra power, same mileage.

Same same for rice-gas in a premium burner.

NOW, up the compression ratio, then you need the strong stuff.

Capisci?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

then how about 91 vs 93? does that make a difference?

Like Wukindada said, only if you're tuned for it. Notice the cobb/tdc/etc. 91 vs. cobb/tdc/etc. 93 oct maps have different HP ratings. :)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived