LegacyGT.com

Post your Favorite NorCal Drive

ZinFreak

This is one of my most favorite drives...

Stewart's Point-Skaggs Spring Road. Connects between Healdsburg/Dry Creek to Highway One.

The pics are two views from Google Earth.

One looking east from the Pacific, the other looking west from Lake Sonoma/Warm Springs Dam.

It is 60 miles of turns, twists, climbs, and dives with incredible scenery. Once you arrive in Stewarts Point there is a little store you can grab a cold drink. The gas pumps may be working again in the near future. The little town of Gualala is (north of Stewy Pt.) is cool, stop at Bones Roadhouse for a killer burger or ribs.

StewyPt.thumb.jpg.7088b7d5bddf647dd94c736f69bff1c6.jpg

StewyPt2.thumb.jpg.10826c0a0f33d570a6f9e2308c44260f.jpg

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Winding Way between Sunrise and Hazel in Citrus Heights. (part of my daily drive)

I know this road, but there's always so much traffic.

I like the road from highway 50 to Ice House Reservoire. I think it's just called Ice House Road.

I haven't taken the LGT there yet, but had my friend took his Chevy Tahoe. We did some hokey off roading...we went maybe 1/4 mile off roading until we turned back because he didn't want his truck to get scratched :lol: .

Start off of Hwy 116 by the Russian River. North on Cazadero Hwy which turns into King Ridge Rd., when the road T's, it's up to you to get back to PCH. Lots of great roads with little to no traffic. Beautiful scenery too. Last time I did it, I think I saw like 5 cars in 60 miles.

Georgetown to Loon Lake then down to Placerville. Especially since about 3 years ago when it was repaved and widened.

K

That is Wentworth Springs Road :D

I do a couple drives on that a year with other Subaru folks... I think im going to go for a drive on it tommorow if its not snowed in :)

Start off of Hwy 116 by the Russian River. North on Cazadero Hwy which turns into King Ridge Rd., when the road T's, it's up to you to get back to PCH. Lots of great roads with little to no traffic. Beautiful scenery too. Last time I did it, I think I saw like 5 cars in 60 miles.

Nice drive.

South on Highway 1 from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz is always fun, and 1 south of Carmel to Big Sur is awesome.

i love the drive on 1 along the coast. last time i went in my Z they were doing a lot of road construction though...:(

one of my favorite drives, although it's a short one, is Redwood rd from castro valley to skyline. then grizzly peak rd has some pretty nice views.

hwy 9 from saratoga to hwy 35. and from there you can north south or west. It's all fun.

Here is a cool road I drove last week while on Kuaui in Hawaii. Too bad it was in a rental minivan and not my XT.

It's Waimea Canyon Road.

http://www.iamku.com/gallery/trips/2006-11-15_kuaui/IMG_2704_800.jpg

if you want a taste of WRC style of road, check out quimby road in san jose, get off capitol expressway exit EAST off 101, turn right onto quimby, then just keep on going, a coupla miles later it starts to wind up into the hills, very narrow, VERY twisty, and vERY steep, combined means on some hairpin uphill turns, you are almost in danger of scraping the sidekit on the ground, and may spin a coupla tires...

NO cops

highly suggest going at night, for two reasons:

1. the road is narrow enough and with enough completely blind corners that its much better if you can see headlights coming

2. when you get to the top of the hill, you can get a nice night view of greater san jose

you dont need to drive fast to enjoy the road, if yo can maintain a steady 40mph you will feel pretty scared lol also no cell phone coverage up there so perhaps best to take a friend so if you roll off the side of the mountain, he can call 911 :D

quimby turns into mt. hamilton which even tually winds back down and you can get back onto 680 via alumrock

quimby's cool but a little too bumpy and steep for my liking. but the drive uphill once you reach mt hamilton rd is pretty nice going all the way up to the observatory. just watch for rocks on the road cuz it can get kinda slippery. and keep an eye out for the occasional deer!

• 3 weeks later...
And in the middle of Sacramento... I wouldn't exactly call winding way a good road to take a drive on :p

I think your original message said "housing area" instead of "Sacramento". Heh, guess you just changed it :icon_razz .

Besides, I don't scream around the twisties, I just appreciate it as part of my daily commute.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Anyone ever drive to Eureka...WOW

incredible!

I think it was highway 46...they just did the roads up there so it's nice and smooth.

WOW

Humboldt County has some of the greatest backroads in Northern California! Here's one of my favorites... :icon_mrgr

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/SubaruForester/p10202946jr.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/SubaruForester/p10202920bm.jpg

Archived