LegacyGT.com

Q's About 5MT and Diff Fluid Change

Metal2You

The MTs use a T70. You can get a full set that includes the T70 from NorthernTools for ~$35.... or the snap-on one for ~$100 cnd (sigh)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Um - FWIW - I got a T70 bit from NAPA for $3.99...They only had one in stock in the surrounding 5-6 stores & distribution center though, so you might want to just order one from them now if you think you might be changing your diff oils some day.

~edit~ Also - to fill the rear diff, the gear oil I got came in long narrow bottles with a small tip at the end (most do) - I just poked that in the "fill hole" and squeezed the oil in. I managed to empty about 3/4 of the bottle doing that, then I just refilled it with another bottle & squeezed until full. It worked pretty well - KISS FTW.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Yeah that sounds like a good way to fill jazzymt.

Bu the redline doesn't come with the little spout...more like a regular bottle of oil....might be more difficult....

YOU FOUND THAT PART AT NAPA...hard to believe since Subaru is the only company currently using that tool....

GM used it a long time ago on a brake system...

but other than that I think subaru is like the only auto mfg using that.....

odd that napa had it.... but good going.... I already ordered mine from ebay and it is on its way...or I would check out the napa around here

• 2 weeks later...

I swapped my tranny and rear diff fluid in half an hour. It's that easy. I had access to a lift though, that made it a lot easier.

To fill the tranny i used one of those medal funnels, the with the flex tube attached to it. The only stag I ran into was I poured the fluid in faster than the it would pour into the trans, so I spilled a coulple oz on the ground. Car smelled like buring oil the whole way home.

I used Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic.

Is using synthitic in a a limited diff a bad idea, since you need friction for the limited slip to work?

I swapped my tranny and rear diff fluid in half an hour. It's that easy. I had access to a lift though, that made it a lot easier.

To fill the tranny i used one of those medal funnels, the with the flex tube attached to it. The only stag I ran into was I poured the fluid in faster than the it would pour into the trans, so I spilled a coulple oz on the ground. Car smelled like buring oil the whole way home.

I used Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic.

Is using synthitic in a a limited diff a bad idea, since you need friction for the limited slip to work?

I'm not sure about Mobile ONE...I just researched Red Line to and decided to go with that. Too late to ask questions now though... :)

For those that have done this without a mechanic's lift.. did you have to put the car up on jack stands?

Probably not enough room to do the fluid swap without lifting right?

That's going to double the time for the gear oil change....

???

I have a 93' Mustang (yes, I'm part of that crowd to :cool:) and have to add a friction modifier to the diff every time I change the fluid. I know the LGT doesn't need the modifier, but will the limited slip still "grab" like it's supposed to with the slipperier synthetic?

Archived