LegacyGT.com

HID owners

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

our headlights were not designed with HIDs in mind so it wasn't "specifically" to be used with HIDs so it won't perform as well as the OEM BMW, Benz, Lexus'......plus your 6000k's are bluish-purple so it's not the "white-white" HIDs..

I have the 42k or the 43k (I forgot :D) which is the "whitest" of the colors and it is pretty good...(my previous car had 6000k's and I couldn't see shite when it rained, but it looked "brighter" than the 43k's due to the slight blue when it wasn't raining, but ya, it was terrible in the rain :(...don't know if you have that issue)

someone chime in on the "bright vs white" theory....it has to do with which color/k our eyes repond better to...

In Taiwan now...:spin:

well it's not totally blue and in the rain I use my fogs as well so visibility isn't that bad..

I do know that the 4300s are more whiter, but does that make it brighter?

I wanted to move down to them but my installer said the balasts were specifically for 6000ks only, so I'd have to buy everything all over.. which I don't have the cash to... sucks..

installer said the balasts were specifically for 6000ks only, so I'd have to buy everything all over.. ..

I call BS on the installer...peeps be changing "k's" all the time on the same ballast...x-tec's right?..I got them...and yes, u can change the k' without changing the ballasts:icon_bigg

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I call BS on the installer...peeps be changing "k's" all the time on the same ballast...x-tec's right?..I got them...and yes, u can change the k' without changing the ballasts:icon_bigg

are you 100% sure about this??? cuz if so, i'm getting 4300k bulbs ASAP

This is what I got as a reply when I sent him an email

"This is a slight issue in that that particular brand of HID kit does not

come in anything lower than the k rating you have received. What I can try

and do is contact another supplier of mine who has 5000k and lower bulbs and

see if they would be comaptible with your set-up."

any of you guys realize that your HIDs are not as bright as OEM hids?

they are whiter than halogens and sometimes whiter than OEM HIDs if you have 6000k+ HIDs, but I've noticed that they're not as bright..

is it only me? :icon_conf:confused:

BTW, I have XTEC6000ks

Depends on bulb I guess.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36402

Look at my before and afters. I am running Xtec 5000k bulbs. I am roughly the same distance from the blue can in each pic.

our headlights were not designed with HIDs in mind so it wasn't "specifically" to be used with HIDs so it won't perform as well as the OEM BMW, Benz, Lexus'......plus your 6000k's are bluish-purple so it's not the "white-white" HIDs..

I have the 42k or the 43k (I forgot :D) which is the "whitest" of the colors and it is pretty good...(my previous car had 6000k's and I couldn't see shite when it rained, but it looked "brighter" than the 43k's due to the slight blue when it wasn't raining, but ya, it was terrible in the rain :(...don't know if you have that issue)

someone chime in on the "bright vs white" theory....it has to do with which color/k our eyes repond better to...

After doing considerable research on HID, I have learned that these after market el cheapo conversions don't work. None of them located the bulb and/or filament correctly within the Subaru's reflector.

I'm going to try a set of 9011 HIR bulbs ($29.95 ea. from http://www.rallylights.com). These bulbs, designed by GE put out 75% of real, correctly designed HIDs and reflectors. They are manufacturered by Toshiba and are currently OEM in certain vehicles like the Dodge Viper.

Most importantly, the 9011 bulb locates the filament in the exact same location as out 9005 high beams. The base is identical except for one notch, and is easily modified.

I don't care how much wattage or volts or lumins or candlepower an HID bulb puts out, if the filamement isn't correctly located within the housing, it's a waste of money.

If you want to rice-out your Legacy and like the look of HIDs lighting, great. It won't help you see at night, but you will look cool in the high school parking lot.

they are whiter than halogens and sometimes whiter than OEM HIDs if you have 6000k+ HIDs, but I've noticed that they're not as bright..

BTW, I have XTEC6000ks

The OEM HID on the 07 JDM Legacy isn't that much brighter than the 4100K kit I installed on an 05 USDM Legacy - at least not as much as I expected.

This Space For Rent

oem d1s and d2s xenon systems use 4100k bulbs usually referred to as 4300k bulbs. kelvin rating is color related not brightness. the lower the kelvin rating (to an extent) the higher visibility will be, especially in the rain.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

BTW, I have XTEC6000ks

Having tried 6ks and 43ks... the 43ks are LEAGUES brighter than the 6ks. 6ks SUCK in the rain. The blue does nothing for illumination.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you want to rice-out your Legacy and like the look of HIDs lighting, great. It won't help you see at night, but you will look cool in the high school parking lot.

Having had 4300k HIDs, 6000k HIDs, and going back to stock a couple of times... the 4300k HIDs put out way more light. and both the 4300k and 6000k make a big difference when they hit anything reflective (signs, traffic signs, over pass signs, reflective gear). Anything higher than 5000k loses effectiveness... anything over 6000k become ricey. Not saying it's perfect but the car does have projectors and HIDs on it do not look aftermarket. Not saying that the stock lighting isn't good/great but the HIDS ARE better than stock.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having had 4300k HIDs, 6000k HIDs, and going back to stock a couple of times... the 4300k HIDs put out way more light. and both the 4300k and 6000k make a big difference when they hit anything reflective (signs, traffic signs, over pass signs, reflective gear). Anything higher than 5000k loses effectiveness... anything over 6000k become ricey. Not saying it's perfect but the car does have projectors and HIDs on it do not look aftermarket. Not saying that the stock lighting isn't good/great but the HIDS ARE better than stock.

I don't understand. You're talking about color temperatures, not light output. Although you may perceive a certain color light being more effective, if the wattage is identical, so is the output. Of course, if the bulbs are different, some could position the filament closer to optimum in your reflectors than others.

I don't understand. You're talking about color temperatures, not light output. Although you may perceive a certain color light being more effective, if the wattage is identical, so is the output. Of course, if the bulbs are different, some could position the filament closer to optimum in your reflectors than others.

The blue of the 6000k blends with the night and doesn't look "bright"... especially in the rain. The 4300k stand out in stark constrast to the night and are definitely brighter than the stock bulbs.

I understand Kelvin. I have had marine aquariums for 15 years now and have studied astronomy for leisure and academics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All I can say is that aftermarket HID's in halogen projector housings must be nightmareish for other drivers with no self leveling mechanism.

not ass bad as people with thier headlightspointed striaght up tp the rear view headlights

or "bro trucks" aka "lifted trucks" with their lights on..

you guys are fighting a fight that..shouldnt even be discussed...its getting really retarted...do post in all the trcuk forums and things like that, about their lights causing a distraction, or go tell people off whose lights are not calibrated accordingly...deal with those people first as I am Damn sure that there are more cars on the road with the above mentioned, rather than cars that bother people because of hid kits, and projectors without self leveling units

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Archived