LegacyGT.com

Feedback on Rota Wheels?

CT05Legacy

I have Rota Tarmac IIs on my Impreza in the summer, and I like them.

When researching, I was originally going to buy a set of Prodrive P1s. I asked around (a lot) before buying them, and finally ended up talking to a Solo2 autocrosser who was pretty familiar with both, which went something like this:

Me: "Will I ever notice a difference between the two?"

Him: "Twice, once when you see the receipt, and once when you look at the center cap."

So what's the major difference between a cast wheel and a forged wheel? You'd think that there would be strength, fatique, life differences, but wheels need to meet some standard. I guess some wheels could outperform this standard. Should I be worried about riding on a cast wheel if I bought Rotas?

I'm impressed by the fact that rota offers so many wheels in suby specific centerbore so no hubcentric rings are needed. not true with 99% of aftermarket wheels.

they also offer better sizing in some cases than the wheel they're copying. the work emotion cr kai is only offered in 18x7.5 +48 or 18x8.5 +43 (which is a little low for the offset). If I bought the emotion I'd have to use hubcentric rings, pay almost double, not have as many finish options, and would definitely have to roll fenders (with the 8.5 +43). I opted for hyperblack rota torque in 18x8 +48 which is hubcentric and I might get by without rolling fenders (I want to run a 245/35 18 tire).

rota also offers more finish options than most manufacturers ....... finish isn't as good as the stuff that's double the price, but it isn't bad either.

:)

You can't beat Rota price. You can get better wheels, but they cost a lot more.

One of things I love the most about Rota's, is that I don't worry about bending them or anything, since they are so cheap to replace. Unlike these prodrives I used to roll on, which I was worried every time I hit a pothole.

You can't beat Rota price. You can get better wheels, but they cost a lot more.

One of things I love the most about Rota's, is that I don't worry about bending them or anything, since they are so cheap to replace. Unlike these prodrives I used to roll on, which I was worried every time I hit a pothole.

Wouldn't you expect that the wheels should be as strong and have a comparable ability to resist bending?

Wouldn't you expect that the wheels should be as strong and have a comparable ability to resist bending?

Oh it is, but for me bending wheels is a fact of life. Happens at least once a year (bent two stockers last winter alone). Rota build quality is up there with the rest of the cast wheels I've owned.

Oh it is, but for me bending wheels is a fact of life. Happens at least once a year (bent two stockers last winter alone). Rota build quality is up there with the rest of the cast wheels I've owned.

i've been driving for along time and have only bent one rim and that was hitting a curb where the hell are you driving to bend one a year? i live in the Chicago area so please don't tell me about potholes. :confused: bosco

now watch tonight i'll bend a rim on the way to bowling :lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The roads here get big buckles in them every winter, and the expansion joints in bridges are larger then normal. The temperature gap between the seasons is pretty big. Goes from 0 in the winter to 110 in the summer, which probably accounts for a lot of the buckling.

Anyway, most people probably have slightly out-of-round rims, but in most cases weights can balance the rim out. For most people, this is probably acceptable. And depending on application, its usually okay for me too. But, I make sure my auto-x wheels are very round every time I change the tires.

Archived