LegacyGT.com

What do YOU do for wheels?... And your thoughts.

FrescoGT

Here's the lowdown... When I had my WRX, the stock 16" wheels and RE-92s weren't babied as much, I mean I took care of them but I used them throughout winter and stuff. Really didn't care what happened to them entirely. In the spring, I would switch to my 18" nice rims and RE-750s and use them until just the beginning of fall. Living in NJ, we've been having sort of mild winters but there a few days during the winter season where it would just blizzard out of nowhere. In addition they like to salt my town's roads heavily the night before it forecasted to snow, and sometimes it doesn't actually snow!

Now with my new LGT, I really like the stock 17" wheels (the RE-92 tires I still despise) and want to take extra good care of them. So I wanted to know what you recommend in terms of wheel/tire configurations thats both economical and practical.

So I've decided to either:

a) Keep stock 17" on and use them ALL year round, replacing the RE-92 tires with better All-Seasons when they've been worn down. I will just have to freeze my arse off cleaning the rims often lol.

b) Do a similar config like the WRX - keep stock 17" on thru winter/whatever and put on 18" and summer tires in the warm months (kinda contradicts what I'm trying to do)

c) Buy dedicated snow tires and new 17" rims (not like Gram Lights, Prodrive, or some expensive crap lol), use those for winter, and revert to stock 17" for the warm months

If you have your own configs, let me know :) Otherwise just let me know if a/b/c is recommended. Thanks!!

Coming from NYC, I think you can do with good all-seasons. Unless you absolutely have to drive like you do on the dry on a snowy road, then get the snow tires. I drove my old Taurus with no-ABS through a couple big "north-easters" that we had a few years back (literally, while it was snowing) and I was on crappy Costco tires too :lol: No problems, no drama whatsoever.

Funny, people actually use the stockers for their winter rims...You could probably get some beat up 17's and some used snow tires to run on those few weeks of winter where there's snow in that area.

Stock with winter/whatever for the winter.

Nice rims and summer tires for summer.

yea, I just might do that.. I like having more handling fun in the summer and I don't drive like an animal in snow so snow tires would probably be a waste.

i'll just remember to clean my stock rims more often during the winter to keep them nice :D

Archived