LegacyGT.com

First impression before install OEM XM

ZMAN Z28

I wanted to ask, does anyone with XM listen to channel 22? what's up with all the friging comercials? I though I was paying for comercial FREE radio. I have been meaning to lodge a complaint with XM about this, but though I would get a thought of who else listens to it. It would be my favorite station with out the dam comercials. Sorry for the thread jacking.

Try exploring some XM's other 69 commercial free music channes rather than the "pop" channels... discovering new music is the best thing about XM. As somebody else said, there are 5 channels programmed by Clear Channel... the WORST thing to ever happen to radio. The 5 Clear Channel channels on XM are simulcasts of terrestrial FM radio stations.

If you like channel 22, check out Flight 26. The music is very similar, but it is commercial free. Hitlist 30 is the commercial free equivalent of 21.

You'll also notice that channels 11, 21, 22, 24, and 161 ARE NOT listed on XM's channel guide under the "commercial free music" category.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a picture of the install (antenna)?

snoman, thanks for your advice on the install location. I will change the installer then. :)

I just had the XM install this past week on my '07. Overall, it sounds great. I think the sound quality is close to CD sound, but much better than FM.

I'm a little disappointed with losing some of the display features from my Audiovox Xpress. I really liked being able to see the band and song title on the same display. The OEM only lets you choose one (artist, title, OR channel). Even when you do land on a display, what you see is limited. You'll have to get used to names being cut off. Having the display option for the radion to automaticlly rotate info would be a big plus.

Since the install, I haven't had a single drop out of service (Hartford, CT). The antenna is a little large, but if good reception is the payoff, I'll take it.

One thing I like is being able to flip through the channels by category. It's pretty easy to get used to by using the up/down and left/right buttons.

Price paid: $518 after tax and install w/ 3 free months of service.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as sound quality goes, it depends on which channel you're listening too.

It can be compared to MP3's. The more popular a channel, the higher the bitrate it is streamed at. I'd guess that the majority of the music channels are between 96kbps and 128kbps with the most popular channels being around 160kbps. Alot of the talk shows are recorded in mono and are around 64kbps...but the popular talk shows, like O&A are very clear (96kbps probably)

the weather and traffic channels sound like 36kbps, but you can still clearly understand them.

the point is they give more bandwidth (kbps) to the more popular channels and throttle back the smaller channels.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

As far as sound quality goes, it depends on which channel you're listening too.

It can be compared to MP3's. The more popular a channel, the higher the bitrate it is streamed at. I'd guess that the majority of the music channels are between 96kbps and 128kbps with the most popular channels being around 160kbps. Alot of the talk shows are recorded in mono and are around 64kbps...but the popular talk shows, like O&A are very clear (96kbps probably)

the weather and traffic channels sound like 36kbps, but you can still clearly understand them.

the point is they give more bandwidth (kbps) to the more popular channels and throttle back the smaller channels.

Actually, most of XM's music channels are streamed at about 32 kbps. The technical specification for XM radios allows for a minimum bitrate of 24 kbps and a maximum bitrate of 96 kbps on the music channels. The traffic channels can operate at bitrates as low as 4 kbps.

Keep in mind that XM does not use an MP3 codec. They use a significantly more efficient aacPlus codec which allows them to use very low bitrates without sacrificing quality. An aacPlus stream at 32 kbps is approximately equivalent in quality to a 96 kbps MP3 file. An aacPlus stream at 64 kbps is approximately equivalent in quality to a 160 kbps MP3 file.

New revisions of the aacPlus codec have already been developed that allow high quality at even lower bitrates!

Just finished the install. It was pretty tough with the non-auto climate control. There's some type of cable that needs to be connected that connects the fan control to some type of lever. It was in the worst possible spot and I couldn't reach it, so I just worked around it. The stereo barely pulled out and I wasn't left with much working room, but I got it done. About 2.5 hours of work.

Sounds as good as my old car's setup which was a Pioneer headunit with the XM add on.

Wow xm installed by the dealer. Guess I missed out on that deal. I miss my xm in my ride and am dissapointed in the quality that I get using the aux jack. I want xm in my new ride but am at lost at how to get it in. Also I had a subwofer in my wrx and would like to have one in the new lgt. Lots like alot of work to get it wired. Has anyone attempted these two upgrades?

• 8 months later...

I just picked up a 2008 Legacy GT. I installed the OEM XM radio kit the second day I had the car. I really missed my XM for the 24 hours I didn't have it :mad:

I noticed a lot of people in this thread are impressed with the windshield mounted OEM antenna, but I'm not. I've had XM since the day they went live, and I've had at least 4 different receivers/antennas. This one is by far the worst for reception. Where I live there are no terrestrial repeaters, and I'm losing signal in places where I never had trouble before with my magnetic mount antenna on the roof.

There are a lot of hills around my house, and I have a lot of trouble with reception now when going down hills and when driving near tall buildings. I've never had reception problems in these areas before.

I think I might have to look into getting a roof mounted antenna for my car. Does anyone know if the connector on the back of the XM receiver is a standard one? The receiver box had a Clarion label on it, so I would think aftermarket antennas would work. It looked a lot like the connectors I've had on other units, only bigger.

Yes, the antenna port is standard, single pink connector. I have happy with mine, but have the same problem you have, live in a area with no repeater and in hills with lots of trees. So I had no differance between the magnetic and the subaru antenna.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 3 years later...

I'm about to order this kit from Fred Beans, $343.00

I'll let you know how it goes.

Called the Service dept at FB's and they were very helpful compared to my local dealer. I called Jeremy and he used my points and I got free shipping and a few dollars off the price.

Hopefully the kit will be here early next week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I installed the OEM kit this morning, took me about 90 minutes. Now when I select the SAT the radio displays the ESN number and channel 184.

The plastic pieces all came apart easy.

I'll have it turned on Monday.

I'll also add that I think the system sounds better as a whole now. I don't understand why removing the OEM Ipod kit and installing the OEM SAT kit would improve the sound quality ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Finally got it turned on. It took about 15 minutes for the satellite to cycle through after they turned it on.

Sounds great. I also mounted the antenna up behind the rear view mirror.

• 2 months later...

Archived