LegacyGT.com

Engine swap question

LegacyRS

I asked this in the N/A forum, but maybe it belongs here. So the deal is, I have a '94 Legacy Brighton Wagon with the EJ22. A friend of mine is swapping the EJ25 from his RS for a EJ257. He has offered me his EJ25. Is the engine swap from the EJ22 to the EJ25 feasable? Im a subaru Newbie, but as old school a car guy, as any 21 yearold can be. Thanks a ton for info! My apologies if this has been covered a million times before.

Yes. I wouldn't bother if it's a phase I (DOHC), but a phase II would be fine. The extra torque should be pretty noticeable in the older car. The engine will drop right in, but the problem is going to be wiring - especially as the old engine is OBD I and the new one is OBD II. If you're using a phase II engine, it may be as simple a fix as swapping your old engine's top end on the EJ25 bottom and running it off the stock computer, but I'm not sure if there'd be driveability issues or not. Steve

Thanks a ton for the replys. all my questions have been answered. The ngine is almost new. Its from a 2002 2.5 RS. It has less than 20,000km on it. The engine was replaced under warranty in the 2.5RS about 7 months ago due to a cracked block.

Yes it is that body style. I might be crazy (I am a recent Subie convert), but am pretty sure its just a brighton. When Im done, I hope its a whole lot more than the body suggests. With the engine swap, I will do the suspension as well. Springs, shocks, shock tower braces, urethane bushings, larger anti roll bars. Just enough to make the chassis much faster than the engine. I think I will just put a set of wheels from a 2.5RS on it for a while, then gets oem nicer wheels as the car takes shape over the next year or so.

For the SOHC engine, you SHOULD (but this is an educated guess) be able to swap the EJ22 top end and sensors over and run stock ECU. As for the DOHC and maybe some other better info ... [url]http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15570[/url] [url]http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=15368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30[/url] Steve

Archived