LegacyGT.com

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 VS Dunlop Winter Sport M3

evams

I was doing some browsing and these two tires seem to run neck and neck. I'm in need of changing tires for the winter. This will be my 2nd yr running RE92's and that can't happen. Just currious of everybody's thoughts. From my friends who have Subarus...Blizzak is the way to go. The Dunlops seems to have a little higher performance rating.

Thanks for everybody's input.

I ran lm-25 for 5 New England winters on my fwd eclipse. I liked them a whole bunch. Don't know about the Dunlops.

Guarantee you won't be dissapointed with the lm-25

Are you sure it wasn't the LM-22 you were running? I'm almost certain the LM-25 is a fairly new replacement for the LM-22. Nonetheless, I loved the LM-25's on my STi and they will be making thier way onto my Legacy in the next few days. We just had our first snowfall here yesterday.

Are you sure it wasn't the LM-22 you were running? I'm almost certain the LM-25 is a fairly new replacement for the LM-22. Nonetheless, I loved the LM-25's on my STi and they will be making thier way onto my Legacy in the next few days. We just had our first snowfall here yesterday.

Yep, you're right. LM-22 DOH!

I don't know about the Blizzaks, but I do know about the Dunlop Winter Sports. I have a set of M3s on my Sienna and my S2000 and just ordered a set for the Legacy.

The Dunlop winter sports are 'performance snow tires' meaning they good in the snow, but still good/great when the roads are dry. Where I live the roads are cleaned in one day after it snows, so dry road performance is very important. The Dunlop don't feel squishy, they feel superior to most all season tires at least when it's cold out.

One thing I found Dunlop has updated the Winter Sport tires, the new ones are called the 3D and the old ones are M3. I ordered the 3D for the Legacy in the stock 205-17 size. I don't have them on the car yet so I can't say. But IMO you can't do better than the Dunlop (you know at least I think so since this is my 3rd set for 3 different cars).

Maybe the Blizzak are as good, or maybe not. Perhapse the Blizzak are better in actual snow but less good on dry roads. Since 95% of my winter driving is on dry roads I am sticking with the Winter Sports.

So, you've never driven on the Blizzaks, but you know they aren't better on dry pavement.

I follow your logic.

I've never tried Miller Light, but I can guarantee that Bud Light is better.

Pillboy and I were hoping to get together soon and do a head-to head comparison of the tires. I'll try to update this thread too. :)

FWIW - I really like the LM-25 I have on my car.

64 degrees today...you'll have yours worn out before I put mine on. :icon_bigg

It is still ugly.

I used Winter Sport M3's last season, they are really good, they offer a very nice ride in cold dry weather and I felt very secure during snow storms. I drive 107 miles each way to work, up the Merritt Parkway. I was suprised by the way that they stick to dry pavment. One problem to report was that I had sidewall damage on two tires. I didnt really remember hitting anything , but i guess I must of. I have Blizzak tires on my 4-runner. They are soft and thick. You have to think what is your main reason for choosing these tires. I choose M3's because of the best all around performance. We usually drive in snow maybe 5-10 times a winter. This is way I got Winter tires , but a performance winter tire allows my to speed around with a more secure feeling during the winter months.
05' LGT Wagon with 5 Spd The Coolest Mod ! :dm:

i'm running the blizzaks myself. very good tire, however i do wish i had studded snow tires this season since they are saying we'll have more ice than snow this year. :(

so far, we've probably gotten a good 10" of snow accumulated (not all at once). the blizzaks are great in the snow, i have no issues. however, it's the ice i still slide around in. at that point, i believe studs are the only thing that may help. oh well... still great tires and i would highly recommend them, especially if all you have to worry about is occassional snow, and not 6 months of snowy icey hell like here.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Fully aware of the difference.

LM-25 and WS-50 are the most common flavors of Blizzak. There's also the Revo and a 4th I don't remember the name of. The revo doesn't come in a stock size. The WS-50 I wouldn't recommend for our car unless you live in a very high snow area (and I'm talking 150"+)

Not sure if you can get the Revo or other Blizzak in a plus sized tire that fits our cars though. Didn't look that far into it.

i'm running the blizzaks myself. very good tire, however i do wish i had studded snow tires this season since they are saying we'll have more ice than snow this year. :(

so far, we've probably gotten a good 10" of snow accumulated (not all at once). the blizzaks are great in the snow, i have no issues. however, it's the ice i still slide around in. at that point, i believe studs are the only thing that may help. oh well... still great tires and i would highly recommend them, especially if all you have to worry about is occassional snow, and not 6 months of snowy icey hell like here.

Next time try the Nokian Hakkepelitta RSis. They are the best tire I have ever used on ice. Much better then any "performance" winter I have used to date.

Pillboy and I were hoping to get together soon and do a head-to head comparison of the tires..........

Already been done, see this link:

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/205-55-R16-HT-2004-10/default.asp?ComponentID=94917&SourcePageID=8979%

Conclusion: the LM25 outperforms (by a small margin) the M3 on wet and dry pavement, on ice, and on snow. The M3 did however, have lower rolling resistance than the LM25.

I've seen comparisons, but nothing beats actually trying them side by side yourself on a similar car. Just want to see how they actually feel.

I don't think either Mark or myself are good enough drivers to provide an objective test or comparison, so I fully expect to have it be nothing other than subjective. But sometimes you'll also find a tire is great on one car, but not so hot on another!

Either way, I'm sure we'll compare them and not be able to tell the difference! :lol:

Speak for yourself...;)

I'm still planning on schooling you ;)

Before or after the Miller Lite / Bud Light taste test?

Before AND after!

You busy this week or weekend? Maybe time to get together soon. Maybe get some of the other southwest burbs people together for an after-work drink one night?

Well I just got my M3's mounted and I watched my buddy do it...I was quite surprised to see how tight the bead was. They actually had to over inflate the tire to get the bead to pop up. Then as I drove away I thought that they actually felt better than the stockers. They seem to be more responsive, I haven't pushed them yet in a turn but now I am a little concerned. If they are this good in the dry how good will they be in the snow????

By the way he mentioned another tire that someone brought in for him to mount, he said the guy swears by them. I haven't heard of them: http://greendiamondtire.com/index.html but the idea doesn't sound bad, just not sure I am into the idea of remanufactured tires. He said that these tires were sharp...he got a ton of cuts on his hands. Has anyone ever heard of these? I am just wondering how or if they match the tires, I would be concerned if they all had different sidewall characteristics.

Well I just got my M3's mounted and I watched my buddy do it...I was quite surprised to see how tight the bead was. They actually had to over inflate the tire to get the bead to pop up. Then as I drove away I thought that they actually felt better than the stockers. They seem to be more responsive, I haven't pushed them yet in a turn but now I am a little concerned. If they are this good in the dry how good will they be in the snow????

They are better in the dry because they are just a better tire. I just put my M3s on last week (second season) and my T1Rs had a huge dry performance edge over the M3s. Also consider that the T1Rs are not at all the best dry performance tire.

Archived