LegacyGT.com

Windshields.....

aldog1330

I'm on my 2nd already after a couple months - mine was defective from the factory. Had a "ripple" or "swirl" or whatever you want to call it. Right in the middle of the windshield. I dont know how Subaru Q/A missed that one... So far the replacement is fine :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had someone shoot mine with a pellet gun of sling shot or something... I guess this was a year and a half ago. Had it replaced for free with my sweet insurance. I did start getting a little creak after the install, but I kinda solved it.

If the damage can be covered by a $1 bill it can be repaired.

DSCN0498.thumb.jpg.8af1e435593b8331d3d0b9cfd8b1e1ca.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
do all legacies (2005+) have the heating element for wipers? I just placed an order for a new windshield (fully covered by ins. in MASS) and there was no mention of the trim level in the form. I gave a VIN number, but they better be planning on giving me the glass with the heating element!

Heating element at the bottom of the windshield for the wipers?

I got my windshield replaced last year and my 2.5i limited def. doesn't have the heating element at the bottom of the windshield.. not sure if it ever did...

anyone?

I had the same crack develop from under the molding and halfway across the windshield this winter.. Waiting a bit longer before getting it replaced. I got a quote from http://www.safelite.com and they want something like 730 bucks for the replacment (includes oem seal) and windshield wiper heaters.

This truly is crazy that a fairly low priced car (not cheap by any means) could have such an expensive piece of glass.. I should get another quote for a sl500 and see how much Mercedes glass is...

• 3 months later...

7/26 7pm, drive '08 QSM SE off the lot in seattle...mood: happy

7/26 7:35pm, driving I405 SB in Kirkland, WA, crack...mood: worried

7/26 7:36pm, on offramp, crack has spread 6 inches, i watched it grow...mood: pissed as all hell!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, owned it for less than an hour and i already have to get the flippin thing replaced cuz its almost a foot long now and grew an inch over night in the garage!

hey thanks, they totally saved me $300 and will come and do it where my insurance company's glass company wouldnt. also, they are giving me OEM glass, but its not the factory glass, yet still listed as OEM glass. SOunds kinda confusing, but after 24hrs and reading some of the posts ranting about windshield cracks, i don't want the factory glass, its crap! also, they are doing it tomorrow rather than 2 weeks from now!

^and yes, they can do the heated glass OEM windsheild. it was another 150 or so and mine was 317 with tax. I used "123Glass"

check out this website:

http://www1.glass.net/main

pretty cool when shopping for windshield replacement.

it will get you 3 price quotes instantly!!

• 3 months later...

Here's the deal with me.

2008 Legacy GT, 5k miles.

I get in my car Friday morning, shut my door, and BAM! A crack shoots out from the pillar about six inches across the windshield. By the time I drive to work and get back home, it's two feet across.

No visible rock chips, nothing. Heck, I wasn't even moving with it cracked.

Warranty issue? Deflective glass?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Should be warrantied there were some 05-07 guys that the windshield broke because of the heating element and was replaced. Mine busted pretty easy with a rock and now with an aftermarket windshield it seems to be holding up better.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Had mine replaced a month ago, and just 2 weeks later on the freeway.......bang..... another F'n crack from a rock. I friggn' give up replacing windows, I'll just wait for it to fall out.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Just had mine replaced about a month ago....

Damn rockhaulers.....with our state being a NO FAULT state good luck with getting it paid by them.

No-fault laws pertain to bodily injuries, not property damage, it's a common misconception, nobody is really getting off the hook :) They're not really liable anyway, at least hard to be held liable because it's not an intentional act or act of neglect. In other words, shit happens. This sort of damage falls under your comprehensive coverage but if you have a high deductible, forget about it. You'll pay out of your pocket until you exhaust that, only afterwards will the insurance company step in. How much are glass repairs nowadays? Typically deductibles are what? $250, 500? There's ways to safely, effectively and fairly cheaply fix chips. If they spider, no go though.

• 1 month later...
damn, mine just cracked today. about 5 inches long from the passenger side pillar. was on my way home from the gym this morning and heard an interesting noise. didn't think much of it until i was out later in the day and the sun was reflecting off it. well, at least i got almost 3 yrs outta mine.

Need windshield replace. It will be my 4th (!) windshield over 1.5 years since I bought the car. Yikes.

Not getting OEM ever again. Looking to get PPG.

my experience...

bought my outback xt in april 2005...

3 cracked oem windshields (with heating elements) in 6 months...

finally changed to windshield without the heating element and i'm using the same one since...

so, heating element was bad news for me

Mine cracked about a month ago. Still haven't broken down and bought a new one. Figure I'll give it through winter, and buy one in the spring. Christmas = no $$

I don't know squat about glass, what brand is good, and who sells what?

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived