LegacyGT.com

before the LGT can be bought

groff

before I can vigorously search for the 05LGT I need to sell my 1998 Dodge Durango (in upstate NY). its a hand me down from my parents, so I haven't really had any experience in the market of buying and selling cars, so I'm looking for some help here.

I realize its probably going to be hard to get what I'm looking for, the local dealer said they'd give $1000 without even looking at it, I'd like to think its still worth the KBB of $4,500. What are some of the best options for selling this, local paper, online, or just driving around with the old fashion 'for sale' sign in the window? :confused:

its a good working truck, good room, i've taken care of it well, does excellent in the snow etc, but it is old and has 135000, what are peoples opinions here (btw it is definitely going to be hard to get into a sedan after this...i owned a coupe before that so I now like the room) looking forward to starting down the road of a new purchase though! :wub:

where is it printed in, and what kind of distribution, do you know offhand?

I don't know the distribution, but when we sold our van, they put it in various AutoTrader publications like Sport Utility Trader, Auto Trader classified magazines available at places such as gas stations and newspaper kiosk type things. I do truly believe it is worth the money, though.

-ben

i most definitely won't sell to the dealer, don't worry!

craigslist...binghamton has a site, but I don't really think its that popular (not to mention I'm at school for the rest of this semester in Potsdam, NY...try and find that on a map :iam: ), when I was looking to buy a motorcycle over the summer I couldn't really find anything, I kept an eye on the car forums as well. its def worth the list though i'm sure, syracuse and rochester are 'close' and possibly worth the list, not too familiar with how to sell on craigslist though.

any idea on the price for autotrader listing?

thanks for the quick responses-

try eBay...I work for a dealer in the Internet Sales dept and recently sold a 1998 Durango with 185,000 miles for almost $3,000.

Without the "clout" of being a big dealer you might not get as much $ but if you disclose everything you know about the vehicle whether it be good or bad it will be of value to buyers. Plus that way they won't be upset when they see the truck if you forgot to mention a ding...plus get feedback on the spot so they can't hold it over your head if something goes wrong a few days or week down the road.

I am an ebayer, buyer and seller, but a vehicle just makes me nervous to sell on ebay for some reason, doesn't sit well and I'm not sure why. Since the title is still in my parents name as well, I know my mom would be against it...I can already hear the arguement coming about selling the truck to begin with.:argue:

although the legacy is the only car she has 'mother approved' to replace the truck. she had horrible luck with her a4 and maintenance, so audis were out of the question, bad luck with my previous saturn (not that i'd want another one), and she knows i wanted all wheel drive and has had good luck with her outback, so i've finally found a winner that she'd be happy to see me drive...which i consider a good thing, hence why i'll be keeping the money from the sale of the durango, else i'm out that 4 grand. and no i'm not a momma's boy either, just respect her opinion and decisions, unless they go against what i want in life :spin:

Craigslist is free. Try the Rochester site. Find somebody wit ha truck like yours, see how they described it, then do the same. You only need 1 buyer....

When we needed to sell our Ford cargo van, we listed it on craigslist and got a bunch of worthless emails. Parked it with a big For Sale sign and a sheet giving year, mileage, price, phone etc on a busy street and it was sold two hours later.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I "third" the craigslist option. Even with their county breakdown they have out here near Seattle I still get alot of hits in ads I post in the smaller county north of Seattle. It's free so why not at least just try it? :iam::D Takes 2 mins to post a description and then you can just attach pics at the end of the post. VERY EASY!!! Do it! :lol: If it doesn't sell there, it only cost you NOTHING! :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Good plan. You might want to put it up a week before or so as Holiday shopping might take center stage over buying a used car. :) I don't know the statistics but I assume car buying lessens closer to Christmas and holidays due to other gift shopping. :iam: Who knows... good luck anyways! :D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

tempting, i have enough cash in hand for Jim L's car, which is almost exactly what i'm looking for in a legacy, so maybe selling the durango will come second for a little bit...thoughts on his car or should i wait, the price seems unreal i'd say

Well, on KBB it's worth $15k even without any mods, so yeah... that's a damn good deal! :lol: From what I hear he's a good guy, we know mutual people in Chicago on here but not each other. Looks like he's taken care of his car so you might want to pop in on that thread! :D One PM has been sent already! :eek:

I've had some good communication with him over email today. Looks like the car will go to someone else besides me unfortunately.

Few reasons I wasn't ready to pull the trigger were the fact that the car was smoked in previously, and had also been in an accident (listed as severe...airbags deployed...by CARFAX). reading back through his threads I figured this was probably why he replaced his steering wheel back in the spring :lol:

very honest and willing to help, I'm sure the car will go quickly-

been craving thats for sure, just wanted to finish up the schooling this semester before getting the car. this forum has distracted me for a while though from class...not that I consider that a problem however.

on a funny note, dealers in my area have never had an 05 LGT in since I first took interest in the car, so I've never test drove or even sat in one, but I'm pretty confident in my decision to buy one. (hint, anyone in upstate NY want to show me what the LGT is all about :D )

Archived