LegacyGT.com

Subaru Remote Engine Starter

I noticed on Subaru's website for Legacy accessories they have a Remote Engine Starter (part #H001SAG000). Has anyone ever used this? I am just curious if it will work with my '05 LGT. I was thinking of getting an aftermarket one, but I would have to have a key plugged in under the dash all of the time.

How is it possible with a 5MT?

You need to disengage the clutch to start and the shifter is in 1st/Reverse.

For reference:

...owner's manual. Page 7-36 for 05-06 models..

When parking your vehicle, always set the parking brake firmly and put the shift lever in the “1” (1st) for an upgrade or “R” (Reverse) for a downgrade for manual transmission vehicles, or in the “P” (Park) position for automatic transmission vehicles. Always set the parking brake firmly when parking your vehicle. Never rely on the transmission alone to hold the vehicle.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I noticed on Subaru's website for Legacy accessories they have a Remote Engine Starter (part #H001SAG000). Has anyone ever used this? I am just curious if it will work with my '05 LGT. I was thinking of getting an aftermarket one, but I would have to have a key plugged in under the dash all of the time.

you don't have to leave a key under the dash.

there's a sensor wire which loops around the key cylinder and you have to reprogram all of your keys w/ this loop and the loop acts as the imobilizer. i have installed a few on O/B, i think i have to install one on a legacy tomorrow.

I think I paid like 300 bones. really kool feature to have.

I have a 07 limited by the way.

The way how it works is you have to press the botton twice within 5secs.

Car locks the doors

wait 3 secs.

then gauge cluster and inner lights turn on

wait 2 sec.

car turns on.

When I got the car, we got two remotes for the starter.

Now the car will turn off if you hit the break pedal. But a really kool feature is that once your in the car, put your key in and turn it till you hear (2) clicks... and your off.

Not a bad feature. Only reason why I bought it was cuz my wife is the main driver and up here in New England it can be chilly in the morning.

By the way... all 07 Leggys come pre-wired.

I think I paid like 300 bones. really kool feature to have.

I have a 07 limited by the way.

The way how it works is you have to press the botton twice within 5secs.

Car locks the doors

wait 3 secs.

then gauge cluster and inner lights turn on

wait 2 sec.

car turns on.

When I got the car, we got two remotes for the starter.

Now the car will turn off if you hit the break pedal. But a really kool feature is that once your in the car, put your key in and turn it till you hear (2) clicks... and your off.

Not a bad feature. Only reason why I bought it was cuz my wife is the main driver and up here in New England it can be chilly in the morning.

By the way... all 07 Leggys come pre-wired.

Very cool. I have an 07 LTD as well, silver. What part of CT are you from, we are in Bristol.

How was the install?

Remote starter is a stupid, wasteful feature that sure will sell very well with fat lazy Americans.

Sorry, but it should be banned for exactly the same reason idling is banned in certain states (unfortunatelly rarely enforced).

Last but not least is not great for the engine. One should not idle long a cold engine - engine will warm up faster to operating temperature if under load.

unclemat, explain your logic? if the car is idleing cold, it is at 1500rpms max. underload it ranges from 1500-4k. up and down, up and down. And you think letting it idle at 1500rpms while cold, is worst than going up to 3.5k when cold? Sorry sir, but i will let my car warm up in the mornings, and not take off.

unclemat, explain your logic? if the car is idleing cold, it is at 1500rpms max. underload it ranges from 1500-4k. up and down, up and down. And you think letting it idle at 1500rpms while cold, is worst than going up to 3.5k when cold? Sorry sir, but i will let my car warm up in the mornings, and not take off.

Let it warm for 30 seconds to get oil properly flowing. You'll harm your car more if you idle it for extended period of time. Fuel does not burn well and oil pressure is not at normal operating level at idle. There are countless articles on the web about it. Just an example:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-government/transportation/municipal-communities/articles/idling-tips.cfm?attr=28

Honestly, I used to do what you describe, but realized it's just wasteful and actually not smart.

Let it warm for 30 seconds to get oil properly flowing. You'll harm your car more if you idle it for extended period of time. Fuel does not burn well and oil pressure is not at normal operating level at idle. There are countless articles on the web about it. Just an example:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/communities-government/transportation/municipal-communities/articles/idling-tips.cfm?attr=28

Honestly, I used to do what you describe, but realized it's just wasteful and actually not smart.

I've heard this from other people before, but how cold is the climate where you are? Would you still reccomend driving your car immediately when the temps go well below 0? Everyone here has remote starters just about, and most people let their car idle for around 15 minutes. I can't imagine just taking off when it's 20 below zero.

Where I live the coldest it can get is -15 C (0 F). For -30 C (-20 F), indeed slightly longer warm up is in order. Minute or two. But not 15 minutes to have your ass warm. Seat heaters are for that.

Remember even if you idle it for 1 hour, the transmission, differentials, bearings, etc is still frigging frozen. You need to get that warmed up, too.

Remote starter is a stupid, wasteful feature that sure will sell very well with fat lazy Americans.

Sorry, but it should be banned for exactly the same reason idling is banned in certain states (unfortunatelly rarely enforced).

Last but not least is not great for the engine. One should not idle long a cold engine - engine will warm up faster to operating temperature if under load.

Maybe - but my a$$ will warm up faster if I start it before I go out there! :lol:

Maybe - but my a$$ will warm up faster if I start it before I go out there! :lol:

Turn on seat heaters. Besides, this is the prevailing mentality, my ass first. Oh, well.

Well i don't let me car idle for 15 mins, but not 30 secs either. About 1-2 mins.

Truth694: Vernon.

As far as the dicussion about remote starter:

This morning it was 24degsF outside. real COLD!. Before I left for work I bundled up and went outside to turn on my trusty 91 Corolla.

As I started my car I noticed the curtain in the kitchen move. I'm like... WTF?! Two chirps come from my wife's leggy... and sure enough the car starts.

I'm like, rubb it in....

say what you wanna say, but this feature is really kool. Maybe not in the corn belt or below that, but up here in the unpredictable Northeast where you roast your balls and freeze your nippies the next day, the grin I got from my wife when I got back in this morning after starting the car was all worth it.

oh and BTW, the car only took 4mins to defrost everything and VERY warm when my wife got in and drove off.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Truth694: Vernon.

As far as the dicussion about remote starter:

This morning it was 24degsF outside. real COLD!. Before I left for work I bundled up and went outside to turn on my trusty 91 Corolla.

As I started my car I noticed the curtain in the kitchen move. I'm like... WTF?! Two chirps come from my wife's leggy... and sure enough the car starts.

I'm like, rubb it in....

say what you wanna say, but this feature is really kool. Maybe not in the corn belt or below that, but up here in the unpredictable Northeast where you roast your balls and freeze your nippies the next day, the grin I got from my wife when I got back in this morning after starting the car was all worth it.

oh and BTW, the car only took 4mins to defrost everything and VERY warm when my wife got in and drove off.

Have you tested to see what's the max range on the remote?

I have one in an '05 automatic. Range is easily 500 feet,maybe longer though you can tell when the fob battery is beginning to die as the range quickly gets much shorter. I can stand in my office and start my car. Yeah, seat heaters warm up pretty quickly but, having an engine at operating temperature also makes cleaning ice off of windows go much faster - even if you don't turn the defroster on till you get to the car, the temperature is already warm, rather than waiting.

Note, from what I read, the current remote starters that Subaru offers actually stop the engine once you press the fob to open the doors, not like the older ones (mine) where you can turn the ignition to "on" and the engine will remain running. Kind of a pain I imagine and likely some really wacko safety concern.

AFAIK, most non-Subare aftermarket remotes cannot signal the immobilizer logic ($)so, you are forced to scarifice a key. I seem to recall there is one manufacturer that can signal the immobilizer but can't remember. Search, aftermarket remotes come up every winter (for those of us in the North).

Archived