LegacyGT.com

Ver 1.1 Nav Disc in 07's

I'm looking for a portable nav system for my work van that would allow me to store location info on several hundred clients, so that when another employee uses the van for a trouble call, he can call up a specific client and have the nav system direct him to the client's location. I have all my client locations stored in my head, but I would like to have a nav system for others to use, or for myself just in case I forget.

Too many clients, too many subdivisions.........

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone can provide, especially if you have any first-hand experience with the product.

BTW, according to this thread, I must be the 3rd person that actually likes the Spec B nav system, though I must admit I liked the one in Kenzo's Honda Odyssey much better.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not something you will be able to find in anything portable. My guess is you are likely going to need a laptop. I don't know if streets and trips interfaces with outlook but mappoint might. Then again it also depends on how you store your client data...

I have a Treo 650 (but you could probably use a normal Palm OS PDA) with TomTom software and a bluetooth antenna.

The TomTom software recognizes my contact/address book and can navigate to the chosen contact.

Perhaps this is the route you might want to investigate?

Can't say that I can offer a lot of help with this but this does work for me. And TomTom is far more accurate than the OEM nav.

I have a Treo 650 (but you could probably use a normal Palm OS PDA) with TomTom software and a bluetooth antenna.

The TomTom software recognizes my contact/address book and can navigate to the chosen contact.

Perhaps this is the route you might want to investigate?

Can't say that I can offer a lot of help with this but this does work for me. And TomTom is far more accurate than the OEM nav.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that. I was thinking a PDA might be the way I'd have to go, but I didn't know if any of them could access external contact info.

I thought about the Cayman but I want 4 doors. S4 = Audi = waste of money when the warranty is up. M3 = out dated, M5/M6 = absurd insurance and I do not need a V10 on crack. AMG = the only contender I would consider but a manual tranny isn't available, plus MB gave me a ridiculous waiting list and the sales-staff treated me like crap; the SL55 is on my list once we're finished with schooling. .

I am surprised that you were seriously considering a MB AMG product (E55 ?) and also the BMW M5 and finally decided on the LGT spec b.:):icon_cool That was quite a vehicle spread you cross-shopped, in your quest for the perfect car.;)

That was quite a vehicle spread you cross-shopped, in your quest for the perfect car.;)

+1

He definitely has to be in the .01% of people that would consider all of those vehicles. ;)

My parents have a CLK 55, Cayenne Turbo, and S500. They would never consider a Subaru... Although, my father thought the Forester was quite "peppy." Yay for mods! :D

To be on-topic, I doubt I'll ever update my nav disc(s). Here in San Francisco, there's no room for new roads/communities. :p

-Mike-

Here in San Francisco, there's no room for new roads/communities.

:lol: :lol: Ha, never thought about it like that. Downtown Chicago, same issue, but they keep expanding west into the corn with new suburbs.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I am surprised that you were seriously considering a MB AMG product (E55 ?) and also the BMW M5 and finally decided on the LGT spec b.:):icon_cool That was quite a vehicle spread you cross-shopped, in your quest for the perfect car.;)

You would be surprised at how agonizing it was, both by trying to figure out which car I want and which salesperson was the biggest asshat!

The E55 and M5/6 are awesome but not practical: Would I ever be able to realistically use their power? No, unless I want to lose my license! The C55 was a possiblity but while it had plenty of power, it lacked in the sizing department, the same for the S4. Plus, operating costs for these vehicles is unreasonable.

I have no shame in driving a "lesser" vehicle and by lesser I mean cheaper and lack of snob-appeal. The Spec B is more than adequate in terms of price, performance (both as stock and aftermarket), utility when compared to its more expensive counterparts. Does the Spec B lack some of the features found in these pricier cars? Yes. Do I care? No, because the money I saved will get us another trip abroad this year :icon_mrgr

Back OT: Ver 1.1 is a piece of crap.

Forget buying a $300 (or whatever it is) new disc. Get a TomTom for that price and bask in the greater accuracy and diversity of its maps and use the OEM Nav for its "info" setting :lol:

Went for a nice cruise in the country side to a POI. Used the NAV to whole time to find different things including a cafe in a small town. Ran into some heavy road construction and NAVed our way around it. The OEM system works just fine.

:lol: :lol: Ha, never thought about it like that. Downtown Chicago, same issue, but they keep expanding west into the corn with new suburbs.

Yeah, if I go further north or east (50+ miles), then there are some new developments. However, I rarely leave the city... ;)

http://www.sfgate.com/gate/graphics/2005/04/03/sf.jpg

-Mike-

Get a TomTom for that price and bask in the greater accuracy and diversity of its maps and use the OEM Nav for its "info" setting :lol:

The one thing I dislike about my fiance's Palm T|X + TomTom Navigator 5 is that the location arrow is tiny when at a moderate zoom (compared to my other navigation units). Do you know if you can increase its size?

-Mike-

You would be surprised at how agonizing it was, both by trying to figure out which car I want and which salesperson was the biggest asshat!

The E55 and M5/6 are awesome but not practical: Would I ever be able to realistically use their power? No, unless I want to lose my license! The C55 was a possiblity but while it had plenty of power, it lacked in the sizing department, the same for the S4. Plus, operating costs for these vehicles is unreasonable.

I have no shame in driving a "lesser" vehicle and by lesser I mean cheaper and lack of snob-appeal. The Spec B is more than adequate in terms of price, performance (both as stock and aftermarket), utility when compared to its more expensive counterparts. Does the Spec B lack some of the features found in these pricier cars? Yes. Do I care? No, because the money I saved will get us another trip abroad this year :icon_mrgr

+1

Additionally, the Subaru engine and AWD system are amongst the very best in the production car world. I wrestled with my car buying decision as well. Going in, I thought that I would end up with a G35 because I wanted Jap, smaller displaecment/weight, non FWD and good touring ability. I'm very happy I stumbled across the Spec.B in the course of my DD.

Went for a nice cruise in the country side to a POI. Used the NAV to whole time to find different things including a cafe in a small town. Ran into some heavy road construction and NAVed our way around it. The OEM system works just fine.

In the world of 1st impressions, I'm sorry, but the OEM nav failed miserably with me. We were "lost" in our city so we thought that the nav would help us get home (or at least to the intersection near our apartment). Wrong, well kinda. It ordered us to drive to a "highlighted section on the map" so that it could start navigating. WTF? It knew the street that we were on so why not start from there?! My TomTom and the Touareg nav are/was a lot more intelligent...despite the Touareg's map database being a bit scarce up North.

But, as time goes on, I will give Subie nav another shot at winning my heart.

FWIW, I usually know where I am going but I use the nav to look for alternate routes and by-pass streets so in that respect, Subi nav works well!

The one thing I dislike about my fiance's Palm T|X + TomTom Navigator 5 is that the location arrow is tiny when at a moderate zoom (compared to my other navigation units). Do you know if you can increase its size?

-Mike-

I think it is stuck on that size; I am used to mine -- my Treo 650 has a small enough screen as it is so squinting is standard :)

• 1 month later...

yeah I should try making a copy of the original one I have...see if it works...

the DVD disc and the burner and the software all play a part into whether or not a "COPY" will workin the system.

I don't really think burning the DVD is legal but isn't charing 600 to update our map info illegal?

• 1 month later...

hey Vinny...just read some of our posts...you are not alone..I think the Nav system works great. I use it more than anyone here.

I actually bought the car for the Nav system. :)

Not really...but I would not have bought the car if it didnt' come with integrated nav.

I drive EVERYDAY... all over the state. (Third largest State in the Union.)

I even venture out to our neighboring states from time to time.

I would not compare it to an aftermarket system. That's really not fair.

If your car didn't come with a factory nav...then go compare all the aftermarket units and pick the best one.

No you can't take the factory subaru nav system inside and plug it into your computer. (All new cares coming up will have built in WIFI so you won't need to buy the update discs.)

Anyways... as for someone who uses it every day I've grown to love it.

Yes there are lots of things I wish it did differently but I'm not really complaining.

It gets the job done.

OK...I maybe I will complain.

My list of annoying thigns I wish the "FACTORY" nave had.

1. Mute Button (simple enough ...you'd think)

2. Input directions while car is moving...at least by passenger

hey Vinny...just read some of our posts...you are not alone..I think the Nav system works great. I use it more than anyone here.

I actually bought the car for the Nav system. :)

Not really...but I would not have bought the car if it didnt' come with integrated nav.

I drive EVERYDAY... all over the state. (Third largest State in the Union.)

I even venture out to our neighboring states from time to time.

I would not compare it to an aftermarket system. That's really not fair.

If your car didn't come with a factory nav...then go compare all the aftermarket units and pick the best one.

No you can't take the factory subaru nav system inside and plug it into your computer. (All new cares coming up will have built in WIFI so you won't need to buy the update discs.)

Anyways... as for someone who uses it every day I've grown to love it.

Yes there are lots of things I wish it did differently but I'm not really complaining.

It gets the job done.

OK...I maybe I will complain.

My list of annoying thigns I wish the "FACTORY" nave had.

1. Mute Button (simple enough ...you'd think)

2. Input directions while car is moving...at least by passenger

3. Guage display something besides MPG and ACCEL %

Those are the biggies...other things like someobody said aobut showing all gas stations...that's cool!

My pops owns an accord and just went in to get a new DVD update disc. I told him to brace himself for a $600 update charge. I figured it would be similar to Subaru. $150 .... I can't believe what Subaru charges for that disc.....

After having had a year to experience the Subaru/Kenwood nav, I have to agree...it definitely has some serious shortcomings, but I didn't realize how bad they were until experiencing the Honda nav and my new HP Travel Companion with Tom-Tom. I bought that one for my work van so I could store all my client locations in the database.

So, I've compared my OEM nav with another (superior) OEM nav, and I've compared the OEM to an aftermarket nav.

The Subaru nav is adequate, but it could be so much better. I'm looking forward to reading reactions to the new nav software update, although I agree the price is obscene. I'm hoping the Kenwood engineers had the sense to allow firmware updates from the DVD, instead of just putting map info on them. If the firmware can't be updated, I'm going to try to get schematics for the Kenwood unit and try to install an HP Travel Companion under the seat and inteface it with the in-dash touchscreen. If I can do that, I'll take out the Kenwood CPU and use Tom-Tom from that point forward.

It will be complicated even if it is possible to do it, but the difference would be worth the effort.

Interesting thread this! In my car the DVD playes is in the glove compartment. Does the american version have TMC. We sure don't have it. It's grayed out. I could buy it as an option for a LOT of money. We don't have the 3D View either. When I asked Subaru Sweden why not, they said that people did'nt want it. I told them bullshit.

When we pass a national border here in Europe the Navi say "Welcome to XYZ". Does it do the same when you guys pass a state border?

I've had it activated back and forth to Germany without any problems. It can be a problem though if you type in a road and alot of towns pop up. You better know where youre going :)

Archived