LegacyGT.com

Ver 1.1 Nav Disc in 07's

Why don't you save me work and just tell me =D

-Allen

Correction, why doesn't he just burn them and send them your way?

I tried to burn it for "back up" purposes but my computer didnt recognize certain files....

tHe HoV

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A real, comprehensive update would be nice. I haven't seen the Nav on the 2007 cars yet, but I do know our development is going on 5 years old now and it doesn't show up on the 2006 Nav system. How old is the software that comes with 2006 cars?

I used an old version of MS Streets &Trips, and even that was missing a *major* exit on I-476N that had been in place for at least 8-10 years.

Actually... for anyone that has Streets & Trips, could you look up the Lansdale exit on 476 in SE PA? On my old software, I'd have it draw a route from Lansdale, PA to, say, Wilkes-Barre, PA, and it would take me clear down to Plymouth Meeting to get 476N, which is 10 miles south, and then another 10 miles back north to get where I started. It had no information about the Lansdale interchange. Fun stuff. :)

I know that BMW systems which are also really good, will now reroute with real time traffic updates. This is different than others usingXM that let you know about traffic, but dont automatically reroute.

The Honda system in the Acura RL and also the new RDX and the upcoming MDX offers real-time traffic updates and will re-route you. In fact, Acura's RL had this prior to any BMW.

I find the Honda system in my 05 Odyssey to be fantastic. Large 8" diagonal screen, touch screen, integration with the rear-view camera and accurate to the dot. I believe the Alpine system that Honda/Acura uses, is rated to be the best NAV system out there, with the system that Lexus/Toyota uses, coming in a close second. The Nissan/Infiniti system has some nifty features like bird's eye view etc.

The optional DVD disc updates from Honda cost $150 or so....I was a bit surprised at the $300 that Subaru charges.:eek:

I've been satisfied by my OEM Subaru system in my spec B but honestly, after using a C330 this summer during the rally, the Garmin is a much more user friendly system. You press one button for "gas" and it will list all the gas stations in the order of distance and also tell you which direction it is (so you know if it's behind you or not). With the Subaru system, the only way I can think to do that is to name a specific gas station (say BP or Sunoco) and it will take you to the nearest one.

I definately perfer the integration of the OEM systems, especially when the garmin kept falling off the windshield (the vibration from a 650hp V10 don't help). I'm working on finding a way to add an input to the OEM system and then I can use the display for a monitor to display video and such as well. I think the OEM Subaru system has a tremendous amount of potenital but fall short with execution. Give us a boost, oil pressure and water temp gauge instead of milage and accelerator precentage and let me mute the woman when I need to. Would be nice to have some sort of bluetooth integration as well.

I am certain I will believe my eyes..in even in 4.

You think they will ever have weather information intergrated into car Navi systems?

Got it on my Kenwood. Comes in via XM satellite for major metropolitan areas.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I bought the the spec. B for everything but the NAV. I have no experience with any other NAV system. In FL, the system works fine on the rare occasion I use it. It performed flawlessly driving to New England and back. Mine is very accurate as well.

There have been a few discrepancies and sometimes the routes generated are questionable. I received only an abbreviated user's manual when I bought my car. What I really hate is when using the guidance system and you're traveling on the highway, that bitch comes on before every "major" exit and says: "Continue traveling on I-95 North". :lol:

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

I am certain I will believe my eyes..in even in 4.

You think they will ever have weather information intergrated into car Navi systems?

Coming soon:

Weather and traffic data, internet, and yes, satellite tv, probably through satellite radio providers. All in one communication interface. :) Just like your cell phone.

I bought the the spec. B for everything but the NAV. I have no experience with any other NAV system. In FL, the system works fine on the rare occasion I use it. It performed flawlessly driving to New England and back. Mine is very accurate as well.

There have been a few discrepancies and sometimes the routes generated are questionable. I received only an abbreviated user's manual when I bought my car. What I really hate is when using the guidance system and you're traveling on the highway, that bitch comes on before every "major" exit and says: "Continue traveling on I-95 North". :lol:

You can always mute the voice. I've been using the butler voice. While traveling on secondary highways in the wilds of the UP and N. WI I would get the "bing" sound when approaching minor roads. At first, I thought this was kind of odd but then I figured that it was probably a safety alert.

Got it on my Kenwood. Comes in via XM satellite for major metropolitan areas.

XM also has an aviation version XMwx that could be very easily adapted to a car. It uses a receiver and has rca outlets that would plug into a nav unit real easily. All you would need to do is press aux or av input or whatever your nav system has and you would have a color weather map on your nav screen.

...Oh well.. some of you know that I have a comptuer in the car with a screen where the factory screen would be.

For $75 I picked up a GPS receiver and for $109 there is iGuidance. Good Navteq maps, 1.4 million POI's, itenerary planning, and more. (http://inavcorp.com/products/iguidance21.html)

That's a really cool set-up. ^^^^^ :icon_wink

I think a point has to be made here that people who own a spec.b have no reason to seek an alternative NAV system and ditch one that is, at least, adequate and integrated.

However, sebberry, I'd be interested to learn more about your set-up. Can you connect to the internet parked "near" WiFi hotspots? Where did you get your screen?

The Honda system in the Acura RL and also the new RDX and the upcoming MDX offers real-time traffic updates and will re-route you. In fact, Acura's RL had this prior to any BMW

Hmm... The Kenwood based system in the Spec.B seems to support TMC, most likely the KENWOOD-KNA-TM320. Someone just needs to get the cohones to but and try it.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I've been satisfied by my OEM Subaru system in my spec B but honestly, after using a C330 this summer during the rally, the Garmin is a much more user friendly system. You press one button for "gas" and it will list all the gas stations in the order of distance and also tell you which direction it is (so you know if it's behind you or not). With the Subaru system, the only way I can think to do that is to name a specific gas station (say BP or Sunoco) and it will take you to the nearest one.

I definately perfer the integration of the OEM systems, especially when the garmin kept falling off the windshield (the vibration from a 650hp V10 don't help). I'm working on finding a way to add an input to the OEM system and then I can use the display for a monitor to display video and such as well. I think the OEM Subaru system has a tremendous amount of potenital but fall short with execution. Give us a boost, oil pressure and water temp gauge instead of milage and accelerator precentage and let me mute the woman when I need to. Would be nice to have some sort of bluetooth integration as well.

actually you can just touch the screen anywhere on the map. Then touch the "poi" button and select what "poi's" you want to show onscreen. ie gas stations, hotels, whatever. Then it will show you all of them on the map and you can just click on the icon that is closest to you and it should give you the directions.

kong

But that's what I mean.. you don't exactly see Acura worrying about dwindling proffits. People buy their cars because they like the features... Acura makes enough on the car as it is to not worry about making a few extra bucks on the navi system.

If the Subie was better equipped and creature comforts such as navi veatures were a deal-breaker, then Subaru would probably make more money by spending more on those features.

I think the problem is with Subaru's rally heritage. People who have a history of buying Benz, BMW, Audi and the like are in a certain tax bracket which would most likely involve playing polo rather than driving through mud :) .

Acura entered the market by targeting the upper-middle class with a slight attack against the premium sedans with their RL (I think it was?). So, Acura developed its niche and tweaked it by building cheapie sedans much like the BMW 3's, and the Benz C's for those who want to be able to drive similar cars but costing far less. And, by doing so, these companies were able to recycle technology found in the more expensive variants which further serves to appease those who buy these cheaper vehicles.

Subaru, alas, became famous for playing in the mud :icon_mrgr .

However, I think that Subaru will gradually make an attack at the premium cars but it will be slow. Perhaps start with a STI on steroids to specifically target Porsche and even the Italians? Then, buyers of the Roid STI might need a new sedan so since they are happy with their Roid, they might want to try the Legacy Caviar Edition. Etc.

Subaru had better supply me with the Roid seeing as how I gave them this idea :lol:

However, I think that Subaru will gradually make an attack at the premium cars but it will be slow. Perhaps start with a STI on steroids to specifically target Porsche and even the Italians?

I doubt Subaru will ever tackle the premium sports car segment. The manufacturers in that segment are well established and I don't see Subaru having any sort of competitive advantage to sway people away from Porsches/Ferraris/etc. It would just be too risky. VW tried to go up-market with the Phaeton, and that was a disaster. Nobody wanted to buy a car in that price range with the "VW" badge attached. :p I can see the same type of iconic attachment with Subaru.

-Mike-

I doubt Subaru will ever tackle the premium sports car segment. The manufacturers in that segment are well established and I don't see Subaru having any sort of competitive advantage to sway people away from Porsches/Ferraris/etc. It would just be too risky. VW tried to go up-market with the Phaeton, and that was a disaster. Nobody wanted to buy a car in that price range with the "VW" badge attached. :p I can see the same type of iconic attachment with Subaru.

-Mike-

But, in Subaru's defense, it has its rally racing heritage which might give it an edge. Maybe start a bit lower and target the Cayman, S4 and cheaper AMGs? Ironically, the STI unofficially does this, so, Roid might actually work.

I remember the Phaeton (and the W8 Passat) and I too had problems trying to rationalize VW's irrationalization. Interesting vehicles but not worth the premium when you could have a BMW or Benz, both having better reliability and resale.

But, in Subaru's defense, it has its rally racing heritage which might give it an edge. Maybe start a bit lower and target the Cayman, S4 and cheaper AMGs? Ironically, the STI unofficially does this, so, Roid might actually work.

The rally heritage does lend itself well to the WRX/STi. But, people who buy the Cayman, S4, and MB AMG are also buying those cars for the status symbol/marques. So, even if you throw the rally heritage at them, most people will question why they have to pay so much for a premium Subaru.

In my view (and probably Subaru's), the STi competes with the EVO. These two cars may match (and in some cases exceed) the Cayman/S4/AMG in performance, but that's about it. In my experience, those looking for a luxury sports car opt for these models - not an STi with minimal sound deadening, loud tires, big spoiler/hood scoop, and no amenities.

The other thing you have to remember is that Fuji Heavy is a relatively small automobile manufacturer. I don't see them gambling much aside from what they've established to be profitable. The Nissan Skyline GTR and Toyota Supra releases should be coming up, so it will be interesting to see how they do...

I'd be first in line for a Legacy with 350hp/350ft.lb., twin turbo H6, 6-speed, and Brembos in the low $40K range... But a lot of people wouldn't.

-Mike-

But, in Subaru's defense, it has its rally racing heritage which might give it an edge. Maybe start a bit lower and target the Cayman, S4 and cheaper AMGs? .

People in the market for a Porsche Cayman or a Mercedes AMG product, would not think of a Subaru in the same breath. Even if it is priced a lot lower.Sorry to break it to you this way.:icon_cool

Performance wise, an STI or an EVO might beat the pants out of quite a few other well known nameplates but the fact of the matter is that the Subaru nameplate carries zero weightage in the premium segment of the market.

I don't understand why Subaru gives such a great car then goes and cheaps out on the nice stuff...

I mean.. kenwood navi... sachs clutch... just little things that get big complaints.

I do, you just dont know the natural history of Subaru USA marketing, its always perceived as a sub premium car brand so they dont invest in and jack up the prices in maxed out luxury amenities/bells/whistles. They limit most of the budget to where it counts, the mechanics.

Basically great powertrain, car, chassis and cheaped out interior. Im surprised the LGT have as many amenities as it does.

Ed

the fact of the matter is that the Subaru nameplate carries zero weightage in the premium segment of the market.

Yep. You can also look at the demographics for rally (Subaru) vs. road racing for cars like Porsche/Audi (ALMS, 24 hours of LeMans, etc), and I'm pretty sure you'd find that people with higher income/age groups follow the latter more extensively.

-Mike-

People in the market for a Porsche Cayman or a Mercedes AMG product, would not think of a Subaru in the same breath. Even if it is priced a lot lower.Sorry to break it to you this way.:icon_cool

Performance wise, an STI or an EVO might beat the pants out of quite a few other well known nameplates but the fact of the matter is that the Subaru nameplate carries zero weightage in the premium segment of the market.

You'd be surprised -- I wanted a daily driver that has great modification potential and is not a PITA to repair/maintain. I thought about the Cayman but I want 4 doors. S4 = Audi = waste of money when the warranty is up. M3 = out dated, M5/M6 = absurd insurance and I do not need a V10 on crack. AMG = the only contender I would consider but a manual tranny isn't available, plus MB gave me a ridiculous waiting list and the sales-staff treated me like crap; the SL55 is on my list once we're finished with schooling.

At the end of the day, the Subaru seemed like the least waste of money and my sales rep was the most pleasant out of all of them so Subaru got my money.

So, yes, my Spec B is 1/2 of the price of some of the other cars but I've been in that league and while Subaru isn't quite there, marques like the Spec B and STI are noteworthy contenders. To each their own :) .

The Spec.B is SOA's intial foray into the entry level lux market and it competes reasonably well absolutely excelling in some aspects and quite adequate in other ones.

Funny how many on this Subie board bash the Spec. when, in the generic sense, it truly is a superior vehicle.

Archived