LegacyGT.com

Shopping List help

leggtnut

Ok, This is what I want to do: upgrade my 06 LGT Sedan 5eat suspension w/out droping at at all. I can't afford loosing any ground clearance. So this is what I had in mind:

JDM Spec B Rev A. Bilisten struts

JDM GT springs

STI front strut tower brace

??? rear strut tower brace

??? front sway bar

??? rear sway bar

So, what do you thik? I am also on a tight budget (uncertin right now, but don't want to spend a fortune).

Do you think I can get away with this setup w/out dropping it? And what swaybars work best. I don't know if I will be able to afford endlinks or mounts so I will need it to fit with the OE. I am not certin if the rear brace is going to end up in the plan yet.

I live on a twisty and windy road and drive it to and from work. I would like not to sacrafice much in ride quality, but I need to get it better. I was thinking the new version of the whiteline sways are what I am leaning toward, I searched and it looks like they work well with the OE endlinks and brackets.

If there is another way I should be looking, please direct me. I am not set on anything here. I will most likely be piece mailing it all so probally won't be a package thing for me.

Thank you for your constructive input.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

From what I have read (meaning I have no personal experience) you should probably upgrade your tires before anything else.

Is this the order you plan to follow? If so, why are you going with springs and struts before sway bars? If you like the stock ride height but don't like the body roll I would think sway bars would be the most bang for the buck beyond tires.

YMMV.

Cheers!

-Ian

But doesn't the JDM Bilsteins drop the car? I though I read that they do.

JDM (SpecB or not) Bilsteins with stock JDM springs DO NOT drop the car. In fact it seems like they raise the car few millimeters in front.

I run SpecB dampers with SpecB pinks. I don't have experience with SpecB w/stock SpecB springs. I think I remember reading a comment that ride quality increased after putting Pinks on SpecB dampers (sic!).

Your plans sounds good, but just skip strut braces, waste of money. It's 1% performace, 99% bling.

Definately start with dampers. If you go for lowering springs (such Pinks) you would be okay with just sway bar - I run JDM GT rsb and I don't feel like I need stiffer bars with my current combo.

No That isn't the order I am going to get things. It was just how my brain organized them when I was thinking of what would be good.

I need the stock ride hight because I have a driveway from hell. I almost rub as it is, so dropping the car at all is out of the question.

I know the Strut brace is normally a wast of $$, but on The road I live on, it made a world of differance on the Baja T I had, so I was hoping for at least a little bit of help with it and got a good deal on it. The road I live on makes STI owners drool :p and I normally drive it aggressivly.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Gotcha. Just throwing your ideas down. ;)

The new Legacy unibody frame is way stiffer than the Baja's (which was based on the last generation of Legacy structure). Hence the reason you shouldn't need strut tower bars.

unclemat seems to have really done his homework on the suspension and has way more experience with suspension options for the Leggy than many folks here. I'd listen to him.

I'll still probably get a thicker rear sway bar first (after replacing my already well worn RE92's). Then get the Bilstein's and maybe some pinks.

I'm also interested in how the COBB springs feel. Though they'll be too much of a drop for you.

Cheers!

-Ian

Ian and unclemat,

Thanks for the input, exactly the information i am looking for. My RE92's are going to stay, unfortunatally, untill they are tost due to financial reasons. But I do have to say that the RE92 with the shorter sidewalls than the RE92's on the Baja was a world of differance. But i do feel the loss of grip on some of the turn, but they are adiquite for now. I have owned 3 legacy based cars now. 90 Legacy L FWD, 04 Baja T, and now a 06 LGT :). The LGT is by far the best so far. I have also driven each generation and they are getting better with time. I also got the STI Strut Tower bar at an unblievable price so I couldn't resist.

But keep the comments comming. This is one, of many, areas I am clueless about with cars. I am a techy so I know my computers. But just adore my subies :).

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Go sways first (F&R). I presume that it is bumpy where you live. Sways help keep you stuck to the road when bumps occur. Shocks next, and springs last. Stiffer springs can just help you off the road when it gets bumpy! Tires whenever!
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 2 weeks later...
Just signed up on this site... thanks for the great advice from all. I hear what many of you write about tires. I drive 30 K per year just from commuting. Tires will be replaced soon enough (It is inevitable). I want to (practically) eliminate body roll. My plan is to do all all of the work at the same time (to avoid multiple alignments) is to replace OEM springs and get a 1 to 1.5 inch reduction, along with AntiSway bars. I do not want to go with Cobb on the springs since as they lower at different heights. I just upgraded to Apexconde HID's (5000k) and don't want the rear to be higher, as that will change the light projection height. I will likely go with Sway bars as they are adjustable. I will skip the tower braces (thanks UncleMat). Any thoughts of specific springs? And what about end links (necessary replacement or overeated)? Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
Well got the STI front strut tower bar brace installed last week. all I can say is I realy like the rigidity and confortable it has made it in all the turns. Not drmatic of a change, but I only notice it durring all the twisty roads around my house. I also just got a Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar comming next week. Got a good deal on it and can't wait till I can get it installed. I am really looking forward to feeling the differance and how much. I will problally start at the lowest setting and leave it there for a couple of weeks at least, weather premitting, and then experiment with the higher setting.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 months later...
I just picked up a set of JDM Spec B Rev A Bilisteins with JDM GT sprins on them. I should have them in the car in a few weeks if things work out right. The Swaybar was the wrong one so That went back and was taken care of. Now just need to find the right setup for the swaybars.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Well got the STI front strut tower bar brace installed last week. all I can say is I realy like the rigidity and confortable it has made it in all the turns. Not drmatic of a change, but I only notice it durring all the twisty roads around my house.

You actually felt a change :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, just got the suspension installed. And yes, I know, worthless with out pics, but forgot the camera. But will take some shots installed tomorrow. I will be getting the alignment next weekend. The stearing is still straight so I don't think that we ended up to much off. The rears were the PITA though. But all went well and no issues.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Ben:

Pretty ironic. You have a 2006 Silver L GT and 04 black Forrester. I have a black 06 LGT LTD, and my Wife has a Black Forester XT. Hers is all stock, while mine is pretty heavily modded. Will add the Perrin endlinks, and stout mounts that weren't installed when I had the H & R lowering springs and Perrin Anti Sways installed. Handling is AMAZING! I'm sure yours it too!

Archived