LegacyGT.com

Holy K&N Batman!

GTTuner

ok here. maybe i typed wrong or it was taken wrong but i wasnt saying oem box=bad. typhoon= bestest:(

as a siting car is going to heat the intakes,boxs, inlet hose,ect. hell who cares about that, how about the most important thing... the IC heating up. & as a side note- having a inlet to the box sitting on top of the radiator isnt what i call the best idea.

i myself have gone further on the heatshield set-up also. but there wasnt anything much to do but put black tape on a little slit on the shield. & maybe something else i dont remember. i dont have it at this moment & working on & driving local brothers stg2 STI yesterday isnt helping my already piss poor addittued.:(

like i said b4 im not playing the 'vs' game. just the statement made b4 is incorrect. i guess ppl have to see it when its installed in the car. i was just making a fact that it does not sit open in the engine bay & suck in HOT air. that was all i was saying nothing more:(

GTsleeper, 1. i'm a tech at a subaru dealership (installed plenty on K&N"s)

2. just traded in a stage IV wrx wagon

3. read every issue on HYPER REV (imprezas and legacys)

Maybe I missed something, but it seems that you where running OEM air box with a tune for the K&N. If that is true then of course the OEM airbox will seem a fair bit slower, not tuned for it.

I am under the impression that the K&N is not really worth much power at stage 2 levels (3-4 whp) but starts to make over 10 whp at upgraded turbo levels.

My thought as well. I wouldn't get one unless I had a fatty turbo. No need imho...

To go from low 13's to 12.8's, that Typhoon must have added around 50 whp. :lol:

I want one

+1

GTsleeper, 1. i'm a tech at a subaru dealership (installed plenty on K&N"s)

2. just traded in a stage IV wrx wagon

3. read every issue on HYPER REV (imprezas and legacys)

wow!! im not tring to make problems.

1. i pack boxes at a box packing factory

2. i just got my stage 2+ LGT back

3. i read every undercar digest, motorage,corvettes, motor trend, road & track, diesel power.

i was just making a point its not in the open engine bay. & the subie tech. thing is nice but dont throw that card out. im not impressed with them at this moment.

Well I did not read everything... but here are my thoughts

I took my K&N off, which was e-tuned

I put on stock airbox / AVO filter with TDC stg II shelf map

seems like I lost a little low-end

very quiet

car still pulls hard

I wish I would have done logs, though as edmundu said those would not say MUCH other than maybe IAT differences and flow differences

I think the K&N makes for a spunkier low end - as flow is instant and better... but it was too loud for my tastes. I LOVED the BOV sound - but hated the almost whistle sound at acceleration. A quiet K&N would be ideal for me.

stock airbox seems more 'consistent' when I drive around under vairous load conditions. after a few days of driving it feels better too.

^ I feel that the stock box is probably more consistent, too, at least for everyday stop-and-go driving.

It stands to-reason that it should, if it can keep IATs from swinging too wildly, it should provide for more consistency in power delivery.

I think that at least for the typical < Stage II+ power levels, that an open-element intake is a give-and-take tradeoff - a bit more flow and power when conditions are ideally suited for the intake, i.e. when you demand more flow and when temperatures are not roasting-hot - but that it does give some trade-off, particularly in sit-and-go traffic due to IAT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

And again - I am a strong believer that a tune makes all the difference.

I have ridden in a protuned LGT with stock airbox and low end was great and probably on par with my K&N setup. One of the reasons I went back to stock airbox. K&N + bigger turbo makes more sense to me.... but at this point on a relatively stock setup, stock suits me fine.

Archived