LegacyGT.com

The Evolution of Legacy Guages

What do you think?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I see your point. MY05 guages ftw!
    • Your crazy. Newer guages ftw!

I hate those stupid MPG guages. They are pointless and since it's constantly moving, it's irritating. Thank god I have an 05.

One advantage of the 05 guage is the red line for the tach is pretty close to vertical. Before the days of LCD displays and LED shift lights, racers turn the tach so the red line is pretty close to vertical. So in your peripheral vision, if you see the needle at vertical, SHIFT.

My vote goes to the 06 since I've never got to see an 05, but the older version still. The look of the 07 is more luxurious (goes with the new wheels/wood trim) but just has too much going on. The mpg needle is kind of like a boost indicator, the more boost, the more negative it goes. The multifuntion display is great, but it sucks pushing the knob each time. There should be steering wheel controls with a mode button or dial or something! My biggest gripe is that the time and temp gauge used to be together in the dash back in 05 and maybe 06. In 07, it's purely the clock in the dash and the temp is displayed with elapsed time as one of the screens. I wonder if I can use the old 05 clock/temp gauge?

Do the 05/06 display elasped time?

The 07 gauges can be pretty bright. I've had no issues with visibility in bright light. At night, the highest setting requires sunglasses. I have it dimmed down big time.

I like parts of both...

Hash marks on the 07 might be nicer. I spend more time looking at the speedo to guage if I am half way through the white segment at the right place for the speed limit I am in. It is legible, but it takes a little processing time to look is it above the number or below the number, half way, two thirds, or what...

very nice looking, not the quickest to read. and that is a fraction of a second that I am not looking at the road. I wish the hash marks were at 25-45-65... etc 5mph designations, too. USDM is one of the only markets that does not use KPH, and we usually use speed limits ending in a 5 digit. not always, but more often than not.

I do like the indirect red rings on the 07. BUT, I like the 05-06 guages for having FOUR of them, and having the tach nested behind the speedometer, and the side guages nested behind both. It gives a more cohesive look, and the information looks closer together and more concise.

MPG guage is stupid. put it on the info panel in the console, fine... I don't really even use it there. (avg maybe, instantaneous not so much...) BOOST would be so much more viable a gauge in the bottom of the tach.

LCD info display is cool though... although without SI drive, what would it really show, besides maybe text warnings instead of idiot lights, the digital ODO... Might be nice if it showed digital speed, in addition to the analog speedometer, per earlier comment about wide hash marks and longer read time for the analog gauge.

Then, I wish they would arrange the indicator lights a little more logically. Why is the green light for the headlights being on, and the green light for the fog lights being "on" on opposite sides of the guage pod?

functional indicators like lights on, brights on, fogs on, etc... that are almost daily use, should be gathered around the top, with the turn signal beacons.

Idiot lights and warning indicators that are normally not on should be along the bottom. That way when something lights up along the bottom of the gauge panel, you look and take notice to what is going on. not just that the fog lights are on...

But that is just me, and I wish this car had a HUD. there is lots of windsheild real estate for it...

Do the 05/06 display elasped time?

Yeah, at least the 05's show elapsed time (from engine start if that's what you're talking about). It's one of the modes on the trip computer.

The MPG analog gauge, I don't understand. The 05's have it digitally (and I'm assuming newer ones do as well).

Also I wonder why the euro-legacys have the lcd screen on the right instrument, and the 07 US has it on the left... on the US 05/06's it's on the right.

the 05 setup reminds more of an old domestic car gauge, the solid white line with ticks really reminds me of older cars. Seems to bulky and not very modern.

Definetly welcome the 07, its a step in the right direction. Lose the MPG and put PSI gauge in 07 and that would be ultimate.

The MPG analog gauge, I don't understand. The 05's have it digitally (and I'm assuming newer ones do as well).

The MPG on the dash calculates your average mpg as dead center. It encourages you to drive better by wanting you to do better than your average. It then recalibrates your new average as dead center and the process begins anew.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really like the 05/06 gauges with the BIG RED rings. The 07 looks a bit understated. I was really jazzed by the '06 instrument panel when I bought the car. Still am. I love driving it at night.

The '07 added the useless MPG swing needle. Big deal. Duh, when I step down hard on the big peddle-thingy I get less MPG. :confused:

Subaru should put a damned turbo boost gauge as standard equipment in the GT's and be done with it.

Could not have said it better myself. I guess Subaru is trying to appeal to old BMW owners.:rolleyes:

Here's another vote for a boost gauge.;)

I have an '07.. MPG gauge = total waste. should have been Boost instead.

my gauges (when at the highest Illum setting) are blinding at night! turned them down one notch and they are perfect. otherwise i like the styling and the relocated/newer digital section under the tach displays a lot of cool info!

Archived