LegacyGT.com

Clutch Fluid Replacement?

I remember when I was a kid, we had an old Renault and we had to fill up the battery :)

My 00 Maxima (and father-in-laws 00 MPV) had unsealed batteries that I filed twice a year. They actually outlasted all of the sealed batteries I have ever owned.

The brake fluid is recomended at 30k. I'd do both.

Brake & clutch fluid are both hygroscopic fluids (they absorb water). Replace both at the same interval...every 2 years is what I have read in many different places. I have never had a corrosion related brake issue (or clutch with the Cherokee) by doing this.

It is still ugly.

I don't think I've ever had clutch fluid changed in my other car (84 camry that I drove for 12+ years). Power steering maybe once. Then again the brake fluid probably only got changed once or twice.

For power steering fluid the shop manual says it should be changed "when highly deteriorated or contaminated" or if there was a leakage (couldn't find anything in the clutch section). So if power steering has a "infinite" life then I'd assume the clutch fluid does as well.

I'd guess that the PS and Clutch systems are closed and don't let any air in, so you shouldn't be getting much water into the fluid. Plus there's no where near as much heat cycling as there is with brake fluid so I don't see how you'd get much deterioration. I figure at about a 100K I'll consider changing clutch/PS fluids.

Look at the fluid in your master cylinder. If it is black or very dark, your overdue.

You will be amazed at how much better the pedal feels after a flush. Usually the pedal is higher and firmer.

And, as everyone agrees that brake fluid will absorb water, as it does the boiling point of the fluid goes down......which could cause fade or even failure if it boils.

I changed the clutch fluid in my 00 Maxima when it was 4 years old. I had never even opened the cap (first owner, ordered from factory) and I was very surprised at the amount of junk in there.

I will change the fluid in my LGT every 2 years. Brake fluid every year.

• 7 years later...

The clutch uses the same fluid DOT4 as the brakes. Never a bad thing to do at regular intervals. I would do clutch fluid at every 60k miles whereas the brake fluid is every 30k miles. As for PS fluid, we drain and fill the reservoir every 30k miles with Redline Synthetic PS Fluid which removes about ⅓ of the fluid.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived