LegacyGT.com

Ouch! A real-world side impact test.

I was worried about getting my first ding on my new GT Ltd Wagon--I had no idea it would be this bad. A nanny driving a '90 Acura Legend ran a red light at about 50 MPH and nailed my left rear door. The side curtain airbag saved me a major headache. I walked away with just a very sore neck. The reassuring thing was seeing that despite the door being completely caved in on the outside, the inside of the door looked fine and the empty child seat next to it wasn't damaged.

759299305_LegacyDamageSmall.jpg.2fdcc06f5bec6a93d71209a9dd0922cc.jpg

The adjuster is visiting tomorrow morning. I went to the body shop at my neighborhood Subaru dealer for an estimate. They don't have the 2005 information in their estimating computer, so the $4,000 estimate is probably way too low. One indicator of that was the $120 cost of a new alloy wheel. The next week dealing with the insurance company will be interesting.

[quote name='Wa-gone']The adjuster is visiting tomorrow morning. I went to the body shop at my neighborhood Subaru dealer for an estimate. They don't have the 2005 information in their estimating computer, so the $4,000 estimate is probably way too low. One indicator of that was the $120 cost of a new alloy wheel. The next week dealing with the insurance company will be interesting.[/quote] glad to see the SIB's did their job. i'd be incredibly pissed if that happened to me, since it's pretty much still new. good luck with the insurance. keep us posted.

as soon as you are okay, it will be fine :D but good to know the Airbag did well in that impact. btw, claim for insurance by saying ur back is hurt :D so that u can purchse some new wheels or the Sti kit or even LEDs by that money :P jk at least, she didnt hit and run or didnt have insurance. but 50MPH for red light seems too much for me...

eww... hopefully they will give you genuine subie parts... not generic when you fix. Good luck to you.. part of the reason i bought a new '05 is that my '02 legacy LGT was hit 2 months after I got it... and the car never felt right to me after that.

[quote name='GT-L']wow at 50 mph it only did that much damage?! lady luck may have something to do with it too[/quote] That is too little damage for a 50mph collision. By the time she hit the Subaru she must have been on the brakes, and slowed down considerably.

[quote name='NewGTGuy']Whatever the speed guys, the car can obviously hold up to an impact. I'm happy to see it did the job right! NGG[/quote] Right on. I'm glad he decided to post the info on his accident. Since not many LGTs have been hit yet, its a great contribution to the boards. Some people need to lighten up.

This wouldn't be considered a high speed impact. Speed is irrellevent in many cases. I've seen damage like this in supermarket parking lots. Any damage at all to the front door? Does the rear hatch close properly? How about all door seams and hood seams? All perfect?

[quote name='TLS'] Speed is irrellevent in many cases. I've seen damage like this in supermarket parking lots.[/quote] Not to nit-pick, maybe just to clarify: Double a given speed and the impact will be 3 times as hard. Triple a given speed and the impact will be 9 times as hard. Quadruple a given speed and the impact will be 16 times as hard. Etc. (One of those physics things that you think you will never use in real life! :) ) I agree though. Parking lot wrecks can look just as bad! It's great to hear that the rear door wasn't intruding in the cabin! I'm sorry to see it happen to you Wa-gone!

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='outahere']To see what a Legacy looks like after being T-boned by a 3300lb test sled at 31mph, see this link: [url]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0411.htm[/url][/quote] OUCH! was this test before or after the recall?[/quote] After the recall.

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='outahere']To see what a Legacy looks like after being T-boned by a 3300lb test sled at 31mph, see this link: [url]http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0411.htm[/url][/quote] OUCH! was this test before or after the recall?[/quote] After the recall.[/quote] Too bad, because that's not acceptable.

Glad to hear that you are all good, the car can be replaced/fixed, humans arnt so lucky. I have to admit, the scoob is a safe car in this respect. Having being smashed from behind, there wasnt a huge amount of damage compaired to the car behind. His sump was damaged he hit me that hard and I walked away with about AUD8k worth of damage, so all in all not bad. Hope u can get it fixed and back on the road soon. Adam.

The 50MPH figure was a very rough estimate based on the normal speed on this road and the fact that she showed no sign of slowing down. If it was only 30MPH, I'm glad for that. Either way, I'm pleased with the way the Legacy held up. It would be interesting to know how fast she really was going. As for the car seat, of course I would put it in the middle if I only had one child. The other car seat was out since an adult sat there last. I'm glad to see someone was paying attention to child safety as too many people don't.

I remember when I was buying my car, that they said the new Legacys had a safety feature built into the doors whereby there was a metal stud in the door and a latch in the door jamb. So in a side impact, it was supposed to be designed so that the door would not enter the passenger compartment. At the time I remember thinking that it was a nice feature. And judging by the intactness of the child seat, it looks like it worked.. Great reassurance :)

Archived