LegacyGT.com

sport mode shifting on it's own

sougmou

I have a 07 GT 5EAT. When I put it in sport shift mode - hard accelerate in first, shift to 2nd (near or at red line) - it will continue to about 4500 rpm and then shift into 3rd by itself. It doesn't do it full auto or using the thumb shifters.

The dealership acknowledged that it was happening but didn't have an other 07 GT legacys to test against. They got one the other day and called and said that one does it at well. Not sure how that helps me.

anyone else with 07 notice this? I'm going to insist they fix it - it's an an odd thing but they only time I use the sport shift is when I want to hold a gear - having it change is not acceptable to me.

If you put it on sport mode it will still automatically shift but would stay longer on gear compared if you put it on D.

Not sure about 07, but on my 05 if you place it in sport mode and do a manual shift (buttons or tap shift the lever) it will be placed into manual mode(different from sport mode) and will no longer up-shift itself.

nah sport mode for us is straight shifting it on your will not the car's. when you are in auto it does it, then bump over it shows the gear and all...

me personally ive taken it to red in first and it goes clear to red in second... not sure what your's is doing. only thing i can think is the engine isnt warm enough? are you in sport, sport sharp or what ecu set?

also how many miles are you at? im around 2400

car is warm. does it in both sport and sport sharp. I redline 1st, shift to 2nd and then it will goto third on it's own after about 2 seconds. I can downshift back into 2nd and it will stay there.

It will do the same if I start in 2nd - redline, shift to third - after 2 seconds it will go to 4th on it's own.

again if I downshift - it will stay there until I shift.

hmmm what your car is doing is highly odd... im not even sure what to freakin think on it now. if the car is warm i dont have any other ideas really. :confused:

on response... if you brake boost/power brake it helps... just dont press to hard on the gas mine went to about 1600 or so and i just hammered it the other day it got up and went just fine in my book.

the lag that you are not happy with is an auto trate, atleast it is from the factory... the cobb accessport with a reflash will take care of that from what i read. honestly it is coming sooner than i figured it would, i was on their site today and they discontinued all the older model ones... sooooo id say here in a month or two we should have accessports. from what a friend told me they are looking to do three interchangable ecu maps for the si drive to link with. sooo just keep it out of your head untill the accessport takes care of it then you should be happy as a clam :D

anyone else with 07 notice this? I'm going to insist they fix it - it's an an odd thing but they only time I use the sport shift is when I want to hold a gear - having it change is not acceptable to me.

Don't worry, it's designed to work that way. Paul (in Japan) noticed the same "problem" when test-driving the 07 JDM Spec.B.

This Space For Rent

well - I think it should come from the factory with better throttle response. Even with AT and turbo considerations it's poor. A smooth even pressing of the gas is the best I can get from it - beside power brake - and I think it's poor. I though it was just the car breaking in but it hasn't improved much. Not sure why I should pay to get proper throttle performance.

gt_ltd : how can that be the way it's designed - that makes no sense.

^ i have no idea, may you can ask Subaru? ;)

Driven the paddle shift 5EAT - quicker upshifts/downshifts, isn't too bad at all for fanging it around a track (fuji speedway). I have only one problem with it, in that it will automatically upshift now, does not hold the gear. What would happen was I'd go into the corner, flick for the upshift at exit, and it would go up *2* gears as it already knew it was going to upshift automatically, and also held my gearchange in "memory".

This Space For Rent

well - I think it should come from the factory with better throttle response. Even with AT and turbo considerations it's poor. A smooth even pressing of the gas is the best I can get from it - beside power brake - and I think it's poor. I though it was just the car breaking in but it hasn't improved much. Not sure why I should pay to get proper throttle performance.

gt_ltd : how can that be the way it's designed - that makes no sense.

it isnt designed that way since my car doesnt do that?

also... if you think about the responsivness... its partly because it is an auto you are have extra weight to spin in the transmission, you also have a torque converter that has to get going and stuff... i honestly dont think it is that bad... i know what you mean it is noticeable but here look at this... when you drive a manual, you have some revs built up when you are leaving the line. you arent running the manual from 750 or 800 rpms. soooo there is where the toss up is, you cant expect the car to make crazy power when it is at idle lol. plus it is a turbo car we have power come 2500 rpms since we build boost and crap there, soooo lower then that we have problems. it all boils down to the manual having less sprung weight, the torque converter, as well as the manual being able to start at higher rmps. which is why if you brake boost or power brake you will notice it picks up speed a LOT faster.

it isnt designed that way since my car doesnt do that?

also... if you think about the responsivness... its partly because it is an auto you are have extra weight to spin in the transmission, you also have a torque converter that has to get going and stuff... i honestly dont think it is that bad... i know what you mean it is noticeable but here look at this... when you drive a manual, you have some revs built up when you are leaving the line. you arent running the manual from 750 or 800 rpms. soooo there is where the toss up is, you cant expect the car to make crazy power when it is at idle lol. plus it is a turbo car we have power come 2500 rpms since we build boost and crap there, soooo lower then that we have problems. it all boils down to the manual having less sprung weight, the torque converter, as well as the manual being able to start at higher rmps. which is why if you brake boost or power brake you will notice it picks up speed a LOT faster.

I'm not comparing a AT againt a manual - I'm talking about AT against AT. This is one of the slower responding cars I've driven. My wife's Pilot jumps off the line fast. The Tribeca is quicker. I had a 1978 BMW AT Turbo - that weight 1000lbs more that was faster. You hit the gas it it's like it's deciding what it should do. Occasionally it'll do it when I'm driving.

well there are two things that jump to my head when you are compairing... first being that the tribeca and the pilot are both n/a cars, non turbo. so they will always have a better low end responce. obviously it is because the turbo isnt spooled and you have no boost pressure. while the n/a doesnt need to build anything it just makes power on its own.

the bmw you speak of can be atributed to a few things that i can think of... most likely (and im just throwing things out i dont know the specifics of that car) a smaller turbo (which is more responsive), a bigger engine (which would cause the turbo to be more responsive with more exhaust gases flowing through the turbo), and just small differences like that.

the only other reason i can come up with would be the car's transmission computer that decides when it shifts. as of now im thinking that your computer may be on the fritz. either that or something is off in the transmission which id doubt... id guess a computer before the mechanical parts since there are no odd noises.

The dealership said today they didn't think it should do that - they want to draft up something to send to engineers in Japan.

Seth, I understand what your saying but what bothers me is you can get aftermarker maps that improve throttle response. If they can do it - why can't Subaru.

I don't have a GT but mine shifts well before redline as well. At first I thought it was a rev limiter now am wondering if it is simply or partially "sport mode" programming setting shift points lower than I'd like.

Almost tempted to change transmission fluid which resets shift points and let the car re-learn.

wild idea here and not sure I'm on the right track, but most owners in the past have had some minor complaint about the shift buttons having a slight lag before the transmission shifts. Could it be that you are hitting the button too late and the tranny is automatically upshifting to second due to redline during the pause after you hit the button, and then shifting to third after it completes the shift and figures to follow your button command?

I'm just curious if you try shifting a couple hundred RPM earlier if it still automatically shifts to 3rd at 4500 RPM.

Archived