LegacyGT.com

Ultimate Street Car Challenge

Prod

Ok, so the car club at PSU is running an "Ultimate Street Car Challenge" that will consist of the following events:

Drag racing on Friday night

Styling judging (exterior and interior)

Autocross Sunday

I'm not quite sure how points will be awarded, but in addition to the goal of having the Ultimate Street Car, there will be addditional awards for:

Drag:

60'

R/T

Trap

Autocross:

PAX

Least cones (Total for all competition runs)

Class winners (awarded by CPR SCCA)

The rules are that you have to be on street tires, and you have to run the same setup at all the events. I'll be representing the Subie side of the house with my LGT.

My setup:

05 LGT unlimited 5EAT wagon

Cobb AP Stage 1 93

Kuhmo MXs

14.154 in the 1/4

So far the competition is as follows:

1. 96 Ford Contour set up for autocross. Handles like a FWD go kart, running azenis. Very fast driver. 15.7 in the 1/4

2. Early 90's Civic hatch with an ITR motor swapped in. Very fast in autocross, typically places first or 2nd in SM. Runs a 14.1 1/4.

3. Some guy with a ton of cars. No idea what he'll bring, but it's probably going to be a VW or BMW.

4. 02 RSX-S: Cams, header and exhaust, tune, Koni Yellow shocks, aftermarket sway bars, Kuhmo MXs. Ran a 14.2 before the cams. I kept within 2 tenths of him at the autox when I was on RE92s.

5. 97 Pontiac GTP: Pretty much stock suspension set up. Runs a 14.7 in the 1/4. Not very fast around the autox course.

Potential competitors:

90's Eagle Talon

03 S2000: stock. He beat me in the autox course by a second last weekend. The 1/4 will be very close.

07 GTI: stock. Also beat me in the autox. Not that fast in a straight line.

98 Integra GSR: Stock. I beat him in the autox last weekend. Also slower than me in a straight line.

02 Z28 Camaro: Not much likelihood that this guy will race, but he's posted an 11.3 in the 1/4.

Where I stand:

Drag: Well, if the guy with the RSX-S didn't get the cams, I probably could've taken the drag portion. If anyone wants to buy me a downpipe, I'll win. I still have a pretty good shot at getting the best 60'. R/T is always a crap shoot; I might get lucky.

Exterior styling: I don't think that the judges will favor the wagon. :( If the S2000 participates, he'll likely win. Otherwise I don't know; it's not like any of the cars look that great.

Interior styling: I think my car has the best looking interior of those participating hands down. If the S2000 or GTI join the list, I may not have it in the bag.

Autocross: I'm going to get stomped. I can beat the GTP, and possibly the RSX-S. I'm thinking I might cut my losses and just drive a little slower to go for least cones.

I don't think I can win the Ultimate Street Car award, but I think I can do pretty well for a 3400lb boat. :icon_mrgr

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm currently holding second as of the drag portion. Tomorrow is the autocross. That's when I really need to do well to keep my standings. Tragically I was just shy of getting the best 60'.

Drag times that I can remember:

2nd Gen DSM: 13.566 @ 102.12, 1.843 60'

My LGT: 14.135 @ 97.67, 1.906 60'

SRT-4: 14.2 @ 105(?) (also ran a 14.9 @ 106 :lol: )

90's Civic hatch, ITR swap: 14.407 @ 100.70 (on worn-out Azenis, has run a 14.0 before)

350Z convertible: 14.4(?) @ ???

E36 BMW M3: 14.6 @ ???

350Z: 14.6 @ ???

240SX SR20DET: 14.6(?) @ ???

Volvo 240 (with chevy 350 V8): 14.6(?) @ ???

S2000: 15.5 @ ???

Ford Contour: 15.854 @ 89.79, broke something and won't be autocrossing

Cars that are going to beat me in the autocross, based on me having seen them and lost to them before:

DSM

Civic (when it had tread, now may be different)

S2000

350Z convertible

Cars I can probably beat:

240SX

SRT-4

Cars I have not seen run:

Volvo 240 (V8)

350Z

E36 M3

If I can drive really well and keep my autox time as close as possible to the convertible 350Z, I may have a shot at 2nd place overall. The DSM is going to take first without question.

As far as the concours (style competition) goes, it's up in the air. The S2000, 350Z convertible, E36 M3, and DSM will probably be the top finishers.

Ok, so today only 6 cars showed up, and completed the autocross in this order:

DSM

350Z convertible

Civic

E36 M3

Me

SRT-4

I had the M3 beat in raw time but my car was a cone magnet today. 1 more run and I could have cleaned it up. Points should be calculated by Wednesday.

Archived