LegacyGT.com

ripped my rotora's

rjoeser

One track day, thirty laps on a 2.5 mile road coarse in 70 degrees. I completely demolished my rotora front brakes. I had pad up to my last 4 lap run, Hard braking on main straight from 140 to 50 mph. 2 more turns from 60 to 20, down the back straight 120 to oh shit!!! no brakes, Luckily the track is perfectly designed to let you run out the back of pit road. Rotors torched, no pad. Amazing since the turn just before this had good stopping and pedal feel. I will post pics of rotors, charging up my battery.

I definately will get beter pads for next month track day.

My stock pads lasted 2 track days, rotora's less than one. A pretty weak compund.

BTW, again on this day I had many BMW, nissan,corvette owners coming up asking " what are you running there".

RJO

:lol: Sorry but it's funny that many people run a BBK and use street pads that aren't very good for track use. With the speeds you mentioned, I'm not surprised. Which track were you at?

With most BBK's it's so easy to switch between pads.. that's the main reason why I wish I had a BBK since I run dedicated track pads (although they are still streetable at least.. just really noisy).

I'm sure you'll find some nice replacements and will really enjoy the stopping power and fade resistance. :)

I did a pre-track day check up, had the car on a lift, checked my sways, control arm supports and brakes when I put on my track wheels. I also checked betwwen runs during cool down periods. I did not,however, check pads between my last run. I had a rider on board, did 2 laps, dropped my buddy off and went out for a couple of more laps. My VERY bad move.

I was at Spokane Raceway Park in Spokane Wa. A very nice 2.5 mi. road coarse. The main straight starts with a long high speed sweeping turn 60-80 mph onto the dragstrip. The big V8's ie vipers and ZO6's hit 160 easily. A couple of runs I hit 140 at 6200rpm. I do not do that too often though, those long WOT runs are killers on my poor subie, the turns are more fun anyway.

BTW there is an one more track day, the last of the season on Oct 6th, a friday. Spokane raceway park has a web site with a track map and directions. There are people from all over the northwest. I spoke to several guys from Seattle area and portland oregon. It is a fun crew, very well organized and a great track surface. LOts of american muscle-Vettes,vipers,mustangs. So far I have been the only legacy though there quite a few STi's and WRX's. One VERY fast Evo and some very nice older boosted nissan sentra's.

If anyone wants info they can PM me.

BTW my car is:

2006 specB

STI pinks

CUSCO F-R sways

CUSCO control arm supports

COBB UP and DOWN pipes

CBE, TMIC, lightweight pulleys, Drop in K+N

Kick ass TDC tune.

And as mentioned, now shredded rotora BBK on the front.

RJO

What kind of pads would you recommend for the north or south course at pocono?

This is using street tires.

This is a first timer education day.

http://poconoraceway.com/trackrental/

if it's the 12-turn course, I would get something like the XP10s at least, if not, XP12s if you are on stock rims.. the amount of short lap times with repeative braking, getting at least a set of XP10s up front..

Keefe

Did I say that I don't track the LGT? :)

---

Damn, bro, sorry to hear of your woes - I truly cannot comprehend why, though, the stock setup was able to hold out longer than your Rotoras! (not to say that I don't trust your report, but rather, that this incident throws further doubt in my mind as to the "trackability" of this BBK set, in "stock" form)

Regardless, I hope that your problems will be easily solved with replacement pads!

Please keep us posted!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It is true, my stock pads lasted longer than the rotora pads. That being said. I did do several longer sessions on the rotora pads, and on this latest day I was driving very hard.

My rotors are toast. I will have some pictures later today. I am going to bring them to be turned, but it may not be worth it since they are heavily grooved and the amount they will have to cut will basically leave them quite thin. The strange thing is, on the last lap there was no grinding feel, I could not hear noise as I was driving with the window down so I could hand signal other drivers.

The guy who sponsors the track days here has a brake shop and provides most of the local racing efforts with pads. He is going to hook me up with some pad options. He has a track car M-3 and claims he gets 15-18 track days on a set of the pads he sells. I'll post what these pads are when I see him tomorrow(Tuesday).

All this aside, the rotoras did a great job of stopping, great pedal feel, until I over did it.

I WOULD NOT track the pads sent with the rotora BBK. Obviously, they have competent track pads available.

RJO

15 to 18 track days? that's some pretty agressive pads.. that's 5 to 6 weekends for me.. The GT has a lot more weight than the M3, by a good 500 lbs, that would explain the M3 having longer periods.. there's also brake ducts that can help as well, frankly the GT is heavy, so suspension work would help on the rear bias some as well under braking situations IMO.. the best that I normally do and still keep up with some good lap times is about getting 4 weekends out of a track pad..
Keefe

bling > *, dontchaknow?

:D Hey, I resemble that remark!

--

Good stuff to know, rjoeser! Thanks!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I am going to give the rotora track race compund a try the next time out. The H2 pads that come with the BBK are billed as "streetable, light track use" pads. I guess this was more than light track use. I have some pics that will go up as soon as I can find the cord to load them onto my computer.

RJO

wow, that sucks

better talk to Eric at Brakeswap, he has the better solutions.

funny that you always recomend them.... but i was at a point(still am, but most likely gonna go with mach v) where i was ready to buy rotors pads, lines and fluid, i hit him up more than a few times, and all the resposes i ever got was i have something for and no reponse after that... hit him up on AIM and talked to him personally and he told me to email him and i did as instructed and still no response...so i kinda lost hope

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

odd, Eric is a pretty busy guy, but he usually gets back to me ASAP.. He's currently coming back from NASA Nationals right now.. it's too bad he doesnt have more help as he's busy racing as well as running his business. Eric's been very prompt with me when it comes to ordering... I'll let him know to quit slacking off :lol:
Keefe

Archived