LegacyGT.com

New Hid - Output? Aiming? Color?

legacy4me

Hey Everyone. As you know from my recent posts, I just had my 6000k HID's installed froma local upper class detailer. They mostly deal with higher end products and do alot of the local sports team players cars. Back to the point.. My HID's are not the best color out put I was hoping for, and they dont seem to go as far as my Halogens appeared. I thought that by having the HID's installed it would make a world of difference. Dont get me wrong as I love my new lights, I guess I was just expecting a whole lot more? As far as aiming goes, I think they are aimed right, I just assumed they would be more distant. Also, they seem to be a little blueish purpleish right now, they have to burn in correct? The dealer told me they would be crystal white after the burn in. How long does this take? I may have to opt for a lower temperature possibly later down the road. The installers informed me that this temperature, of this kit, will look the most OEM. I know about the other Kelvin ratings, but I guess I assumed what they told me was correct.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4300K is OEM. 6000K is more blue/purple and has less usable light, but is a popular choice because it gives the similar effect of OEM lighting systems.

Even though OEM uses 4300K, for the most part, their optics are true HID optics and thats what gives OEM HID systems the fringe blue/purple color shifts that make ricers wet.

Cliffnotes: 4300K = more visable white light. As you increse in degrees K, you get less light and more ricer color.

Oh and burn-in... no such thing. The Bulbs will change color as they warm up, that takes about 3-4 seconds.

ignore him, he'll go away.

So in other words, the set up I have now, will be the color I will have for the life of the bulbs? I just had them installed yesterday, and only drove at night once. I will take a drive again tonight an see what its like. Would 6000k vary in color temps for different types of kits? Could I purchase a 4300k bulb and put it in my system, even if it is a different brand than what kit I have?

I have 5000K ones and they have just a tint of blue, but it is almost not noticeable.

I really like my kit, I have the XTEC kit, and it is day and night compared to the halogens.

I have sen other brands in the same range, and hey do not looks as good as the XTEC. This is not to say that you do not have a quality kit, but the 6000K may be bluer than what you expected. I would change them for 5000K and yes you should be able to just purchase the bulbs.

Here is a link with pics of the comparison thta I did between my HID's vs Stock:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22268&highlight=laz

X

---

I jus got back from driving, I think my driver's side is a little different than my passenger side. Is it possible that this bulb could be positioned differently, sideways, as the cutoff on this side is not as pronounced as the passenger side. I wonder if I can somehow turn it so it is positioned differently? Also, when I had them installed, the guy told me that when you look at the light, you will notice stuff inside the bulb or light housing that blocks light output, he said that this is the parts of the bulb that obstruct the light output. I will try to take a picture of this. I beleive this is also adding to the driver side as not being the same as the passenger. I am starting to think I should have got the 4300k as I wanted the best output and distance as well as whitest color. It rains here alot and I want the safest clarity.

I pity the person that has to stare in my HIDs longer then 1 second. I got flashed by a guy because he couldnt stand staring at my hids(he was at the bottom of the hill on the otherside of hte light and so he was caught below the cutoff point.

Change the K temp of your bulb and you should see a difference. 4300 or is it 4600k(i forgot what the temp of the sun is) is what is going to be best. Any lower is bad as well as any higher is bad.

Nothing worse than buyers remorse....sorry to hear that you are having 2nd thoughts.

I would try to go through the place you got them to change out the bulbs you have for 4500's...Not too sure what kind of fitment issues you will have if you went the ebay route. I'm not familiar with the brand you have...sorry.

I have Xtec 4500's and love em still, even after almost a year. The light pattern will look different from left to right, that is totally normal. The driver's side beam will be cut off lower at the top, to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. Here is a pic I took where you can kind of see what I am talking about.

It basically "steps down" on the left side

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1135/hid61jr.png

Nothing worse than buyers remorse....sorry to hear that you are having 2nd thoughts.

I would try to go through the place you got them to change out the bulbs you have for 4500's...Not too sure what kind of fitment issues you will have if you went the ebay route. I'm not familiar with the brand you have...sorry.

I have Xtec 4500's and love em still, even after almost a year. The light pattern will look different from left to right, that is totally normal. The driver's side beam will be cut off lower at the top, to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. Here is a pic I took where you can kind of see what I am talking about.

It basically "steps down" on the left side

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1135/hid61jr.png

I love the look of yours, do you have foglights on? The cut off on mine is not that abrupt or strong. The left side does step down as in yours however. Do you see the black area in the driver side light, thats what i have as well. Should I possibly just buy bulbs from Xtec? Buyers remorse is no fun. I didnt feel bad though after buying the car. The place I bought it from, the lowest kelvin kits are the 6,000.

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I think there may be a burn in period.

I say this because my friend had one light replaced on his Audi and the new HID light was more blueish-purpler that the old. The new one was a little dimmer at first too. I took about a month or 2 for them to even out.

Yeah my fogs are on in that picture...and they are the "ion" yellow 2500k or 3000k Nokya's I think...they are not hid bulbs, just stock bulb replacements.

I got my XTECs from RPM and they were super to deal with, so maybe they can help you out. That dark area...hmm maybe it's the gap between the HL's and the fogs...not too sure. I can snap some more pics if you want...these aren't the best.

Here is a shot of the front...you can see how the 4500's are super white. I'd say they take about 20-30 seconds to fully warm up...

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6746/hid16xc.png

It's the full kit (4600K bulbs, ballast, ignitors, wiring...). You could just replace your bulbs with the ~4600K version, and get similar color. However, my headlights are also a bit modified. I took apart my headlights and filled in the small rectangle on the projector cutoff shield (using exhaust repair putty). I also added a couple washers on each mounting point of the lens to the projector "bucket" in order to make the cutoff more blue. Since you didn't install these yourself, I suggest you find someone in your area that has taken apart Legacy headlights before, in order to replicate what I have.

-Mike-

Mike's McCullochs seem to have less "dark" in them...but he looks closer to the wall too, so who knows??? :iam:

I don't have any dark spot that I can tell. It could be which way the bulb is mounted in the housing. IIRC, the H7 retrofit HID bulbs can be put in two ways, and I think you need to have them a certain direction. I think it's to have the brown/wire part next to the bulb itself face down, but I can't remember... :p

Also, the front of the car was approximately 25' from the wall in my photo.

-Mike-

I don't have any dark spot that I can tell. It could be which way the bulb is mounted in the housing. IIRC, the H7 retrofit HID bulbs can be put in two ways, and I think you need to have them a certain direction. I think it's to have the brown/wire part next to the bulb itself face down, but I can't remember... :p

Also, the front of the car was approximately 25' from the wall in my photo.

-Mike-

I really like your set up. If I got just the bulbs, would the cut off and everything look pretty similar do you think?

I REALLY like the 12000

http://www.xenon-vision.com/images/gallery12k.jpg

http://www.xenon-vision.com/images/gallery/12000k/100_0958.jpg

http://www.xenon-vision.com/images/gallery/12000k/12accord.jpg

http://www.xenon-vision.com/images/gallery/12000k/12accordwall.JPG

:munch:

Archived