LegacyGT.com

H-Tech life expectancy vs. Shock life?

ogradnis

I want to install H-tech springs onto my stock shocks but I heard that installing lowering springs onto the stock shocks will cause the shocks to wear much more quickly. Any thoughts?

Also, how long can I expect the springs to last? They are only warranted for a year. Should I be concerned?

FYI: I have an '05 LGT w/ approx. 27K mi.

Any advice is appreciated.

I always thought that the effect on the shocks will be more of a result of the increased spring rate than the actual drop. Considering that the H's are relatively close to the stock spring rate (at least they feel about the same), I do not expect them to wear out the shocks significantly quicker than stock.

Yeah how about some feelings from those with a few miles on their Htechs and stock shocks...

welcome.....some feelings are in "search for H-techs"...there are LOTS of info on it's height, lots of pics, just lots of stuff...just gotta search :icon_wink:icon_bigg

a lot of peeps here have the H-techs and like the close-to-OEM spring rate, it lowers the car nicely without over doing it...I like them

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I always thought that the effect on the shocks will be more of a result of the increased spring rate than the actual drop. Considering that the H's are relatively close to the stock spring rate (at least they feel about the same), I do not expect them to wear out the shocks significantly quicker than stock.

it's the shortening of the stroke that puts stress on the valves and seals.

Keefe

welcome.....some feelings are in "search for H-techs"...there are LOTS of info on it's height, lots of pics, just lots of stuff...just gotta search :icon_wink:icon_bigg

a lot of peeps here have the H-techs and like the close-to-OEM spring rate, it lowers the car nicely without over doing it...I like them

you search for h-techs

little to no info, because its posted as "H techs"

On this site you can not search with spaces.:icon_wink

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Interesting..so the lower you go..the worse it is for the shock?

it's possible, like everything, things are designed to spec.. if the suspension travel range is not within spec, you will likely to wear something out just like anything else. Just like my Zeals (and supposedly, many other coilovers out there), eventhough the almost the entire shock body is threaded for the ride height adjustment doesnt mean you can use all of it. Zeal has a warning label/instructions not to lower the car past a certain point on them, because basically the shock motion is out of range.

in most cases for fixed perch shocks, there is a limit to them. If you shorten the suspension travel on the shock, that means it's pre-loaded, so when you do use that range of the shock of what is expected, it will bottom out and possibly blow out the seals.. That is why there is the creation of the bump-stops, to prevent the final fall out. But people still cut bump stops short and such to give them the proper look to the car (well, that's the chance that they are willing to take).

Keefe

my guess is about 36,000 miles before you have shock issues...

About right from my experience. I put the Ions on at about 10K miles. I now have about 35K miles and I need shocks.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I would go with coilovers if I had $1300 to drop on them right now but since I don't I figured H-techs would be the next best thing. How much could I expect to pay for a set of shocks to match the H-techs with the proper travel? If it's going to be close in price I may as well wait until I can afford coilovers.

I would go with coilovers if I had $1300 to drop on them right now but since I don't I figured H-techs would be the next best thing. How much could I expect to pay for a set of shocks to match the H-techs with the proper travel? If it's going to be close in price I may as well wait until I can afford coilovers.

Search the suspension section for some of the aftermarket shocks that are available for your car. There's a couple of stiffer valved shocks that are available or will be available for use with lowering springs.

Shocks wear out no matter what they're made off though. They're a wear item, plain and simple. It may not be worth the cost of upgrading your shocks if you're not going to be using all of the features built into it.

^ depends on the kind of shock choices out there, I think the only ones out on the market would be a set of Bilstein takeoffs or the Tokico HTS/D-Spec shocks.. I dont think Koni or Ohlins has a set yet...

pricing for those shocks are floating around somwhere...

Keefe

Archived