LegacyGT.com

Anyone compared the g35 against the Legacy gt, or gt spec b?

nos

i rented a g35 a few weeks ago while on vacation. really surprised by how nice it felt. plush interior, a lot of creature comforts. fun to drive with the traction control turned off (especially since it was a rental). my modded gt wagon feels significantly faster though.

I took a look at the G35 coupe, just because I loved the body. But that was about it...everything was pretty nice but nothing was stellar and the lack of AWD in the coupe was a deal breaker for me. The LGT feels faster, was smoother (wife definately didn't like the G35 ride) was cheaper and has AWD. AWD was not something I was willing to give up unless the rest of the package was phenominal.

The G35 feels stiffer and has less roll. Damping and chassis feels stiffer (very notable when going over speed bumps).

LGT is quieter (exhaust, tire, wind). LGT feels quicker. LGT interior is nicer (IMHO). LGT is less common (G35's are everywhere, common like Camry's).

The killer: can't get G35 as a wagon. :)

Test drive them both. Then make a decision. The 07MY G35 is a different car than the 06MY.

I went with an 06 Spec B instead of an 07 G35 in part thanks to cost. The G was going to be about $8K more than I paid. Performance is supposedly very similar if you believe magazine numbers (like Car & Driver, etc.).

Good luck.

What mods do you have? Did you rent the coup or sedan g35?

i rented an 06 sedan.

performance mods off the top of my head are: tein flex coilovers, whiteline swaybars f/r, bridgestone re070 tires, cusco lower arm bars f/r, sti front strut tower bar, whiteline steering rack bushing, sti engine and trans mounts, sti pitch stop, sti catless uppipe, autospeed catted downpipe, greddy sp2 catback, dyno-tuned cobb ap.

i rented an 06 sedan.

performance mods off the top of my head are: tein flex coilovers, whiteline swaybars f/r, bridgestone re070 tires, cusco lower arm bars f/r, sti front strut tower bar, whiteline steering rack bushing, sti engine and trans mounts, sti pitch stop, sti catless uppipe, autospeed catted downpipe, greddy sp2 catback, dyno-tuned cobb ap.

Wow..

I'm not that familar with St.2 (I hope I am) but.. with your mod... It looks and sounds much more than G35. Even compared with the new G35 which has been compared with the new BMW 335....

Is your setup really can compared with at least 330 or M3?

Sorry for getting away from the topic..:icon_mrgr

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I took a look at the G35 coupe, just because I loved the body. But that was about it...everything was pretty nice but nothing was stellar and the lack of AWD in the coupe was a deal breaker for me. The LGT feels faster, was smoother (wife definately didn't like the G35 ride) was cheaper and has AWD. AWD was not something I was willing to give up unless the rest of the package was phenominal.

Didn't you compare the g35x to the legacy gt, since all wheel drive is a requirment?

Didn't you compare the g35x to the legacy gt, since all wheel drive is a requirment?

G35x only comes in automatic, it's ~200 lbs heavier than the RWD G35/LGT and finally it's $3000-$5000 more than the LGT. So for me G35x really isn't a good competitor to the LGT. IMHO the closest competitors are porbably the MazdaSpeed6 and Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

The killer: can't get G35 as a wagon. :)

After over 2 years of happy ownership of G35 sedan I got LGT for exactly this reason. I was preparing for somewhat of a downgrade in creature comforts and performance. Contrary to my expectations I feel like I upgraded.

G35x only comes in automatic

THAT is what makes the G35 suck in my opinion. It was a major contender for us until we noticed (we hadn't been out to drive it yet, good thing we didn't go) that the AWD only comes with an auto; NO THANK YOU!

The audi was nice - way too many buttons for my liking; i wasn't exactly sure how to operate the headlight knob(i think thats what it was anyway) as it didn't seem to do anything that normal knobs do..like turn. It was also the only car i got nauseous in.

well ive driven both the 6MT coupe and an automatic Sedan.

The G is a nice car, but i would totally still want my car and heres why..

In the G35:

Suspension is a lot more rough..

I dont like the interior design..

doesnt have the "kick" in the pants acceleration

kills lots of gas

6MT seemed a little notchy when shifting

but other than that, its a pretty good value.. i would get the newer G35's if i were to get one.

Ive also driven the 2007 Legacy Line.. (5EAT and Spec -B)

LOVE EM!

(yes i have no life and try to test drive every decent car in the world!)

Remember the 07 G35 MT is a whole other animal......just read the review a few days ago from one of the major rags.

0-60 in 5.2sec & that was on a car with only 200miles, thats a legit 5.0 sec flat car once broken in:eek:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Many uf us including me thought it was only a 8hp bump over the 06 model. That is not the case the previous models 298HP was without the new adjusted HP figures. The 06 model should have been advertised with around 276HP.

So the 07 model has 30+HP over the 06 model, plus another 25ftlbs.....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Many uf us including me thought it was only a 8hp bump over the 06 model. That is not the case the previous models 298HP was without the new adjusted HP figures. The 06 model should have been advertised with around 276HP.

IIRC, the '07 has a "new" engine. It's the VQ35HR instead of the regular VQ35. The HR stands for Hight Rev. I believe the red line is now at 7500 RPM. Chances are the turbo version of the VQ35HR is the eingine of choice for the GT-R.

IIRC, the '07 has a "new" engine. It's the VQ35HR instead of the regular VQ35. The HR stands for Hight Rev. I believe the red line is now at 7500 RPM. Chances are the turbo version of the VQ35HR is the eingine of choice for the GT-R.

That sounds like a bunch of BS. Nissan has been very consistent in its engine naming convention for the past 25 years, I doubt they are changins this now.

VQ35DE, where VQ- series, 35- displacement, D- dual overhead cams, E - electronic injection.

I agree, Nissan HP numbers, at least on 03-06 models, are very inflated.

When I put together NorCal G35 dyno day we had an 06 with 6mt putting down 248hp on a dynojet. Given this dynojet was the lowest reading of them all, it still sounds pretty low to me. My stock 04 5AT sedan was putting down 210hp/215tq on the same day. I have an excel spread sheet with mods and hp reading from about 20 Gs/Zs - in case anyone wants it, PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

Just for refference, IS350 guys are consistently putting down 270+hp. And their cars are automativ and rated only 9chp higher than rev-up Gs.

As I remember the G35X is only available in the 4 door and I really don't like the look...it isn't terrible but I was lusting over the G35 coupe. If it was an amazing performer or had AWD I may have swung the extra 6 or so thousand. But honestly I thought the ride was too stiff, so much so it seemed unsettled on expansion joints...that and the wifey didn't think she could go more than 30 mintues in it without peeing.

That sounds like a bunch of BS. Nissan has been very consistent in its engine naming convention for the past 25 years, I doubt they are changins this now.

VQ35DE, where VQ- series, 35- displacement, D- dual overhead cams, E - electronic injection.

I guess you don't know Nissan as well as you think you do.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074027&highlight=vq35hr

When I put together NorCal G35 dyno day we had an 06 with 6mt putting down 248hp on a dynojet. Given this dynojet was the lowest reading of them all, it still sounds pretty low to me. My stock 04 5AT sedan was putting down 210hp/215tq on the same day. I have an excel spread sheet with mods and hp reading from about 20 Gs/Zs - in case anyone wants it, PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

The stock '04 G35 sedan is rated at 260 hp. Given that the accepted drivetrain loss for a RWD car like the G35 is ~18-20% 210 whp sounds about right to me. 248 whp is about 300-310 hp at the crank so I don't think they are inflated.

Archived