LegacyGT.com

Deep water, the clutch, and shudder?

We had a little rain today:

(Excerpt from the National Weather Service taken a few moments ago)

...according To The Emergency Management Agency...flooding Problems Continue Across Southern Portions Of Vanderburgh County. The Areas That Appear To Have The Most Serious Problems Include The East And Southeast Sides Of Evansville. There Are Several Homes Which Have Up To 12 Feet Of Water In Them. Additionally... There Are Numerous Roads And Intersections That Still Have 2 To 4 Feet Of Water Over Them...

OK, so it was ALOT of rain. We had major flash flooding that totally covered many of our major streets (I live on the Southeast side). At first I was totally siked as I got another chance to prove the worth of the Legacy. However, the short trip from work to home became a white-knuckle driving experience and made me actually envious of those lumbering SUVs for the first time.

The short of it is, the Leg made it though some really deep water. Several times, water came up over the hood (water in the intercooler - whohoo!) as I negotiated my neighborhood. The only glitch was that I experienced was what I can only call clutch shudder. It usually happened during or just after getting though the really deep stuff.

Could it be that the water was cooling the flywheel and clutch assembly so much as to make them function improperly?Should I have my friendly neighborhood Subaru dealership check this out?

Any advice would be cool. I searched and found another post with a similar sounding issue, but there was no follow-up as to the resolution.

Driving through deep water is bad...have all your fluids changed as water will enter the components via the vent lines. Engine, transmission & diffs.

We've had cars totalled lately for driving in deep water...

The short of it is, the Leg made it though some really deep water. Several times, water came up over the hood (water in the intercooler - whohoo!) as I negotiated my neighborhood.

Any advice would be cool.

Are you completely stupid?

Here's some advice, don't drive through deep water.

Doesn't seem that bad if water didn't enter the interior. I guess try to step on the carpet and see if it sounds like a sponge. Also be careful of the ECU getting soaked that would cause some funky behaviors. I wouldn't drive that car for a day or so to let it dry out.

Driving through deep water is bad...have all your fluids changed as water will enter the components via the vent lines. Engine, transmission & diffs.

We've had cars totalled lately for driving in deep water...

So true....

And then you have the occasional owner that forget's to put the car in park;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That's what I get for writing the post at 2:30am. Sorry I wasn't more clear about the water level.

The driving through the really deep stuff was a no-choice type of scenario. There there several areas where I was completely surrounded by water (meaning each intersection that I tried was the same - deep). I know the best advice would have been to wait it out at my start point (which would have been work) but I had a sick GF at home and I certainly didn't want her out driving around in her Saturn. My point? Ease up on the insults, I had good reason.

I understand about hydrolocking. There was only one area that I thought was deep enough that it actually entered my mind. The water over the hood mainly came upon entry to our apartments (and was very brief, splashing) where the street dips and the enterance inclines up. It could rain for a few minutes and there is usually a puddle here. In my case, I kept steady constant power in 1st gear and just let momentum carry me through.

Now on to the suggestions. Do you think that a entire fluid changeover (meaning diffs, tranny, engine, coolant) would be nessecary? I was planning on tackling these with synthetic changeover ~30k (I am 16k now) but could do it sooner.

No water in the interior. Well, OK, the stuff that came off my shoes on the mats.

Archived