LegacyGT.com

Guilding A Lost Breed

Since SOA is not going to provide a move-up car or even a replacement car for LegGT/MT/wagon owners, I plan to keep my LegGT/wagon and improve it. My car is 20 months old and only 8k miles from being out of warantee.

I live in SoCal. Is there a really capable, quality place in SoCal to get aftermarket work done on suspension and ECU? More specificly, I am looking for Cobb ECU upgrade, bars and coil overs. Also interested helping this great machine breath better (AVO power filter kit, AVO Turboworld TMIC). I took care of tires and wheels the week I bought the car.

Everyday, this car reminds me of its abilility and untapped potential. I may buy a new car in a year, but will keep the LegGTwagon for my winter runs to Mammoth skiing (600 mi. round trip) and general work horse with gusto.

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks for referrence. Very helpfull.

I do not want to lower at all. After 36k, I need new shocks/coils and may as well get a bit more sport action. Same with bars. This car is so close stock, I just want to replace with Sti level, but no drop.

Anybody see any negatives to my pe-concieved ideas about upgrades besides the lowering issue?

20 months ago we had no experience with this car, now you guys have been there and done that.

Thanks,

I have a wagon. Definitely recommend swaybars and coilovers.

IMHO, coilovers are a must for wagons compared to lowering springs. You can adjust the drop so that you don't get the saggy rear end. I dropped my wagon 0.75 inches in the rear compared to stock unloaded. However, the high spring rate (8 kg/mm) means that it doesn't drop much if I put a big load in the back.

Anyone who rides in my wagon is literally amazed at its handling. Most of the guys I work with have high end German cars. When they think Subaru, they think Paul Hogan and the 2.5 NA Outback. The guy who aligned my car and test drove it was completely surprised by its performance.

BTW, I bought my MR coilovers from Boostjunkie. Those are budget coilovers which fit my need and budget. However, if you want a better ride, he has KW coilovers for a good price too. If I was in SoCal, I would buy all my stuff from him and have him install it.

:whore: that would be my recommendation. The issue is that Rev. A Spec B Bilstein springs are a bit oversprung. Rev B or C would be the better compromise, or the std. GT level Bilsteins.

The rear end squat is gone with just about any change. Having had Cusco coilovers, I'd avoid any coilover unless you can tailor the spring rates. 4kfront/5 or 6k rear would be a good compromise for street driving. I had 8k/8k on the Cusco and the rear end of the wagon would 'load' and then launch off the next bump.....very scary around a corner.

Trying to wade through all the different combinations isn't easy. So Rev B or C is JDM Spec B struts? What kind of ride will these give? Also, what springs would you recommend with those?

I have an 05 LGT wagon and I'd like to do the same thing as MtnSub. I'm going to get the JDM rear sway and my current thinking was to wait for the new Koni struts and get STi pinks (is there a wagon specific version of those?) but how would that compare to Rev B or C? Also, what's the best place to get these struts?

Thanks.

The revisions denote the combo of rear swaybar, springs and struts. Rev.A used stiff springs, a 20mm rear bar. Rev. B softened the springs and used a 19mm rear bar. Rev.C? not sure exactly. You'll be hard pressed to find anything but Rev. A on the used market. The current thinking is that the USDM Spec B setup and JDM is on Rev. D or E. The USDM Spec B springs aren't very stiff...likely the same as normal GTs.

Pinks are available for wagons....with part numbers for Spec B Bilsteins or normal GT Bilsteins.

I'm installing Spec B Bilstein dampers today with ion performance's HD wagon set. A bit more length and rate in the back to give extra load capacity. With four passengers, I was hitting bumpstops on my previous setup (I've got a 100lbs of stereo gear in the back).

Thanks Patagonian.

Ugh, another variable. I've heard good things about Ions too. Any idea how those compare to STI pinks? Why did you get them? Part of what I want to do is pass the wife and baby test, meaning, I don't want to compromise the ride too much and I don't want to lower the car much (New England winters).

I had a '98 A4 1.8T with sport package. The car was much better damped and had more roll stiffness than the LGT. It also rode decently. I miss that aspect of the car (but not all the stuff breaking). So, I know I want better dampers and more roll stiffness.

Great stuff and I am surprised this has not been bumped to the tech forum section. I found the "Mach V Dan" thread very helpful in the Suspension/Brakes forum section.

For my wagon street needs, sounds like coilovers may be overkill. bars and spring, new shocks. Again, I do not want to lower car.

Harmanmotive was a great lead for SoCal which led to several other good installer shops.

Mickeyd2005, who is Boostjunkie and how do you contact?

FWIW on my wagon I've gone with the STi pinks/stock struts with the addition of Cusco sways front and rear,Cusco lower arm bars f/r,and Cusco strut bars f/r.

That IMHO in addition to a good set of tires(not the stock ones) makes fr a very sporty daily driver without sacrificing any utility or comfort.

ps,,I think coilovers are overkill in your situation also.

Again, I do not want to lower car.

some feedback on my setup since I mentioned it previously. I switched over to Spec B Bilsteins (JDM front tophats) and iOn Performance's 'HD' springs for the wagon (and the normal front springs vs. the Bilstein specific one they sell). The car is close to stock ride height....I'd say it's similar to the difference the 'Sport' option makes on a BMW 5 series.

I'll get pics up soon...as soon as it settles some.

'heavy duty'. they are both longer and have a slight increase in spring rate to accomodate the extra load of a wagon + what it tends to carry. I've got all my stereo gear in the back, so my car was sitting too low for best performance. Think of putting sedan springs on a wagon and you get the idea of what I had going on.

Archived