LegacyGT.com

Opinions Please...

legacy4me

So I have been going back and forth. I cannot decide whether to go ahead and order HID's from one of the vendors on this site, or to have a local detailer install the systems they have. Of course the installation from the detailer is more expensive but I believe the kits are more OEM. However, lifetime warranties are nice too. Please help and let me know your opinions on what you have done as far as HID's and also how installation was for you. Are you happy with the end product? Light output?

Thanks

If you've seen a kit installed on a car done by your local guy and like it, then go with that one.

There's a lot to be said about local pro installations who will stand by their work.

extended warranties are a waste if you have to spend money shipping defect product across the country in order to wait a month for it to be exchanged and sent back to you.

If they are changing the projector, then do it at the shop, it will look better, and if something happens you can always bring it back to them. Dont get me wrong all the vendors here are great, and stand by all their products 100%. I'd just go to the local shop, if and only if they are doing a whole swap out and not just bulbs.

Exactly what is meant by "you think it's going to be more OEM?" <--- the true questions are below, this is only a "header": :)

What, EXACTLY, will this shop/dealer be doing?

If they're just putting in a "plug-and-play" bulb, ignitor, ballast kit, then it's no better or worse than doing the same yourself, unless you simply do not have either the time or the technical know-how (honestly, this is pretty basic, especially as there are SEVERAL detailed walk-throughs for you to pursue on this very Forum and many member's private pages, such as that of brother Scans007's).

Similarly, if they're doing a full-optics retrofit, you should also pursue in-depth exactly their procedure (again, technically, while more challenging, this is still do-able by anyone here who has cracked open their own headlamp housings to "clear" them), as well as ascertain the components they will be using (see below).

Also, what EXACT components will they be using? Typically, most shops/dealers will try to maximize their profits - and this can mean using less expensive parts and/or simply charging you more.

Just because you're getting it done somewhere that's "brick-and-mortar" doesn't always mean that you'll be getting either better products or a more detailed job. Be sure you know what you're walking into. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived