LegacyGT.com

Discovered additional mud guard

mickeyd2005

When I was working on the suspension of my car, I discovered two additional mud flaps on the car. It looks like it wasn't installed properly at the factory.

Most station wagons have a sort of mud flap hanging in front of the rear tires. I don't know how exactly these things work (maybe they break up the water wake from the front wheels:iam: ), but I've seen them on other wagons such as Volvos, etc... including the LGT.

The first picture is what the rear tires look like on my wagon. Notice the mud flap hanging in front of the rear tires.

The second picture is the additional flap hanging just forward and inboard of the original one. This second flap is attached to the body with a single plastic pin. Since there is only one pin, the flap rotated up and into the body out of sight. I rotated it down to take this picture. However, looking at the part, it is pretty clear that there is a hook on it that is supposed to hook onto the lower sill. This would prevent it from rotating into the body.

Has anyone else noticed this? I couldn't find it in my service manual. If someone knows the page where this can be found, please let me know.

When I have time, I'm going to bring it into the dealer...

IMG_6401.thumb.JPG.4e3179b37bcc7a0781def5756346bcd8.JPG

IMG_6402.thumb.JPG.fdc0d1061bd5a827af28066fc66bb64f.JPG

they are air splitters for the rear wheels to help divert away from the tire. It's not a mudflap. I always have to fix the inner one every time I go to the track because I always end up clipping something like the curbing or the dirt.
Keefe

Thanks. Air splitter... that makes perfect sense, especially in light that they are staggered with the outboard one further aft.

I was able to shove one in with no effort, but the other was tougher to get in. I guess I should have bit the bullet and removed the sill fasteners.

Anyway,... I am annoyed that Subaru would go to the trouble of engineering these features but then have their manufacturing not bother to attach them properly. The clip part on both flaps is mint. They have definitely never been installed.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
I found one of those pieces. It's #9 in the picture. Looks like it's called an "end cover" for the ground effects. I found it here.

That sounds right. I too lost one and the dealership cost was ~$45 iirc.

MSRP is listed as $35.53. A $10 dealer markup is always a possibility.:(

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

there are two, the End Cover which bring everything minus the 3 clips that hold the fender liner to it (which is the same as the engine cover ones)

The second one is the one that is "snapped" into the body which is usually a bit slanted towards the back.

Hope this helped!

• 4 months later...
Has anyone had to replace their mudflaps? One of my flaps got ripped off the car and half of the flap that attaches to the body is embedded. I can't seem to remove to to replace it with the new one. Anyone with insight on how the part can be removed?

Archived