LegacyGT.com

06 or 07 specB?

psi365

So here is another problem in my car buying mind. There is a dealer here that has a new 06 spec B sticker is $35,500 and they couldn't move it so they were advertising it for $31,000. Well from another person who went by that dealer said in the back lot they have 07 spec b's sitting there. So my question to all of you is, buy the 06 and save the coin, or go with the better featured 07 spec B? When I say better features I mean memory seats, fold down rear seat, 6spd trans, SI drive...etc

Thanks

Chris

I don't think I've read of anyone who bought an '06 Spec B that has called it a dud.

Alternatively, the only thing that interests me about the '07 Spec B is the aux input jack and maybe the darker color exterior. They can keep the Si drive, VDC, WRX STi-ish blue insert interior, and the extra gear. Things like memory seats and a fold down pass through are useless to me as well.

You just need to ask yourself if those differences between the years matter to you.

I love my 06 Spec B and thinking of the added functions of the 07, most dont interest to me. I like the AUX jack. Aside from that I think the 06 is geared perfectly, I actually have come to really like the interior color and to me is the perfect combo of classy and sports with a little nostalgia attatched. I would buy the 06 now and really crunch the dealer on the $$'s.

Welcome to the site. 07 without a doubt.

The 06 was somewhat of a dud. guys who have them like them on here, but most were bought at a significant discount. You could prob get it for 30K if you pushed.

The 07 if you read the threads on here of guys who already have them, have better leather, no weird red leather seats, fold down (a big plus), mp3 jack, SRS WOW stereo, etc. etc. Plus the depreciation hit will be harder on that 06. No one views it as a "limited edition" model that will appreciate.

Where are you located, I find it hard to believe that a dealer at this point has multiple 07 spec Bs in stock.

What a BS post.

The 06 Spec. is a great car and what makes it even better is that you could drive a hard bargain for it. The 07 will be great too but you'll have to wait to get a deal on one. The Spec. is a superior performer be it 06 or 07. I find the brick red seats classier than the blue. The only thing I find more desirable on the 07 is the new rear differential. The 6MT is redundant. One thing I've really come to appreciate is that you can zip around in traffic without having to downshift unless you really want to jump. Offer the dealer $29k and see what he does.

Actually I meant a dud in terms of sales not performance. They couldnt move them when new, and there are still enough left that shouldnt be sitting a full year on dealer lots with no movement. i.e., something wasnt right.

There are many on here including those who bought 06 spec Bs who not only agree with the dud statement, but were able to buy theirs due to it.

The LGT is a new effort for Subaru in entering a market in which they had previously participated and still remains largely unknown. The 06 Spec. B was newer still but for the most part impressed the reviewers when compared to more traditionally upscale OEMs. The Spec.B showed Subaru that they could compete with the big boys. Any 06 LGT or Spec. still sitting on the lot should be able to be had for a good price. The suspension is what makes the car, IMHO. So much more refined than the LGT which in itself is superior to most other cars on the road.

You seriously need to get over yourself and allow for other opinions besides your own.

Hardly a BS post. Read the forum to see how many members view the spec B, and again, as I have pointed out to you in other threads, you bought your spec B USED.

Hence, you prob would not have bought it at the price subaru was asking for it. FEW did.

If you were able to think clearly about the issue, you would see that I am not talking about performance. I agree that the performance through suspension, etc. is upgraded. However, that alone does not make it a successful effort.

Watch and see how many more 07 specBs will be sold than 06s. Not because of availability, as again, there are still brand new 06 specBs that they cant give away.

Your post was completely subjective. One can get one of the best bangs for the buck in the entire car world with the 06 Spec. B which is why I bought mine. Yes, I bought mine "used" though the plastic still on everything. That Subaru provided me with a world class gem at an excellent price is my gain as cars are depreciating assets and I wanted maximum value for my car buck. I did thorough DD on all manner of cars and had crossed the LGT off my list after a test drive. Then I became aware of the Spec. B and the rest is history. A truly successful effort.

except in selling them off dealer lots, which was the point he made and you missed...

nobody denies it's a good car. the sales success of the Spec B has everything to do with whether we get a full blown STI model. ;)

except in selling them off dealer lots, which was the point he made and you missed...

nobody denies it's a good car. the sales success of the Spec B has everything to do with whether we get a full blown STI model. ;)

The point of the thread was missed by the first respondent. Due to whatever circumstances being encountered by the dealer, it is the buyer of the 06 who going to come out ahead now. And wasn't that the point in the first place? Let's remember the Subie demographic and take full advantage of it. The 06 Spec. was SOA's first attempt to produce a car to compete with the heavies in the sport sedan market and according to the reviewers (and owners) the Spec. was completely successful in that regard. Looks like SOA produced a loss leader in 06 though that probably wasn't what they intended despite being extremely conservative in limiting the 06 production run. SOA's loss is, of course, the buyer's gain.

Bang for the buck is what it is all about when it comes to depreciating assets like cars, IMHO.

I just did a quick check of new 06 LGTs for sale in Chicagoland. They are asking $30-31k for them. A new 06 Spec. with the asking price of $31k seems like a screaming deal. No Spec. Bs to had for love nor money in these parts and Subaru is a relatively popular make in this region. However as I wrote before, a Sube isn't what leaps immediately to mind in those looking for an upscale perfomance sedan. The 06 Spec. B is probably the best car for the money in the auto world these days.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think the 06 was a joke. Limited editioin model that stayed glued to the showroom floor. Only a few knuckleheads bought one. The 07's are better, but still not what I would want.

the 06's seemed like a test.. see if the U.s. would buy it... they did thats why they came out with a production model of it for 07. the 07 is nice... im looking at one right now. this one is the same color as the limited sti. the interrior goes good with the body color. what i wish they did was put on those black brembos that are going to be on the limited sti. a nice sti lip would nice too. SI drive is a nice touch. ohh and dont forget about vdc. i wish my lgt had the 6mt. ohh well ill just wait until 08.

FWIW, I got my 06 this past June for a shade over $30K...So I would imagine any 06 you find now would be sold for even less than that. Especially if there are 07s on the lot too.

Personally, I really dislike the 07 interior. Love the aux jack, but whatever. I am enjoying my car for a lot less (or a lot sooner) than I could have an 07.

Plus the exclusivity is sort of cool...even if I am the only one who notices.

Good luck. Can't go wrong either way!

I think the 06 was a joke. Limited editioin model that stayed glued to the showroom floor. Only a few knuckleheads bought one. The 07's are better, but still not what I would want.

I did a couple of quick nation wide searches for new 06 Spec. Bs. I found one (maybe two) and they're asking ~$33k. Looks like there are at least 499 (or 498) knuckleheads in the US plus one.

I haven't seen a 2007 spec.B. I do like my 2006 spec.B's appearance, inside and outside, except for the rear spoiler. The red interior is attractive and easy to live with. I don't like the notchy short-throw gearshift, but otherwise the car is a good balance between fun and comfort. I'm thinking of getting a 2007 spec.B because VDC is a desirable feature, the rear seat back folds down, there's an iPod jack, and the six-speed transmission has a smoother operation.

I'd rather have a 3.0 spec.B wagon with HID headlights, rear LED foglights, automatic transmission and the other features denied us North Americans.

I did a couple of quick nation wide searches for new 06 Spec. Bs. I found one (maybe two) and they're asking ~$33k. Looks like there are at least 499 (or 498) knuckleheads in the US plus one.

I know of 2 in NJ, Lomans in Parsippany is 1 , forget the other.

Denial is your best friend

Wow...this turned out to be a "my 06 is the best car ever and I need to defend it post".

Everyone agrees that the upgraded items in the Spec B help to alleviate some of the gaping problems in the 05/06 LGT. Such as non-MP3 radio, suspension, tires! and such. But for the extra cost over a non Spec B, you could do aftermarket and do it better; granted some like the factory warranty on the parts :)

The '07 is more of a special edition (without being limited) than the 06 and you should expect to pay the same (A dealer in NY is selling them for a little over invoice).

The '07 Spec B has MUCH more than an upgraded suspension and different color leather.

Among others the major differences are:

1.) Aux-Box (Line-Input for MP3 Players)

2.) 6MT (different gearing than STI)

3.) VDC

4.) Torsen Rear

5.) Alcantara Leather inserts (some may think gimmick)

6.) Steering wheel mounted audio controls (some may think gimmick)

More info: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=732889&postcount=14

OK maybe I left people confused. I guess my question is are all the little extras on the 07 worth paying more then the $31,000 that I could get an 06 spec B for? To me the aux jack isn't that important, but since I do a lot of tires for friends and hauling rims the fold down rear seat is a plus. What the heck is VDC anyways?

Thanks

Chris

Archived