LegacyGT.com

06 or 07 specB?

psi365

OK maybe I left people confused. I guess my question is are all the little extras on the 07 worth paying more then the $31,000 that I could get an 06 spec B for? To me the aux jack isn't that important, but since I do a lot of tires for friends and hauling rims the fold down rear seat is a plus. What the heck is VDC anyways?

Thanks

Chris

You have to pay for the car, not us! :)

You have to decide if the differences are worth the money to you.

OK maybe I left people confused. I guess my question is are all the little extras on the 07 worth paying more then the $31,000 that I could get an 06 spec B for? To me the aux jack isn't that important, but since I do a lot of tires for friends and hauling rims the fold down rear seat is a plus. What the heck is VDC anyways?

Thanks

Chris

You are asking a question that, unfortunately, we should not answer for you. I will still, however, do my best to help you.

The 07 Spec-B is technically/ mechanically superior than the 06. It has everything the 06 has, and more. I will not go into details as the upgrades have already been listed in this thread. The real question is, do you place value on these upgrades? Do you feel these upgrades are worth the extra money that it would cost to purchase the 07 Spec-B? Do you want a couple thousand extra to put money into aftermarket parts?

We can talk all day about the superiority of the 07 compared to the 06, but those superiorities are in large part subjective. Not everyone swoons over torsen diffs and beefy transmissions like I do.

Traditionally, 'next years' model of any car is going to be superior. Waiting for next years model is never good practice as it is, of course, going to be better. So get whatever car you will be more comfortable in, and personalize it to your liking.

Hope this helps,

-Bobby

Here's the deal, dealers will try and dump their '06 Spec B on you for less than you can buy a '07 Spec B. However in terms of driveability and features, the '07 (unfortunately) trumps the '06.

If you can part with more $$$ get the '07 or save for an '08 when the legacy line is getting refreshed.

Here's the deal, dealers will try and dump their '06 Spec B on you for less than you can buy a '07 Spec B. However in terms of driveability and features, the '07 (unfortunately) trumps the '06.

If you can part with more $$$ get the '07 or save for an '08 when the legacy line is getting refreshed.

The 6MT is moot with the 2.5 turbo (perhaps better for racing but then again it apparently weighs 100 lbs more which if true would be like driving around with 4 or 5 sets of golf clubs constantly in the car) but the new rear differential would be desirable. It's as if SOA felt they had to add the 6MT in order to keep up with the Jones in the class they're wanting to break into despite the fact that in comparison tests the 06 was beating the Jones in just about all categories. The suspension is the main driveabilty factor, IMHO. The more tricked out 07 will force down the price of any 06s remaining in inventory that's for sure.

Just to clarify, I know of at least 2 dealers (in northern IL) within 15 miles of me that still have an 06 on the lot. I think there is even a third dealer that might still have theirs so I know there are more then two left in the country.On of my main reasons of getting a spec B over a regular LGT is for nav. It was suggested to me by a friend to just get a regular LGT limited stick and mod it which is also something to think about.

The 6MT is moot with the 2.5 turbo (perhaps better for racing but then again it apparently weighs 100 lbs more which if true would be like driving around with 4 or 5 sets of golf clubs constantly in the car) but the new rear differential would be desirable. It's as if SOA felt they had to add the 6MT in order to keep up with the Jones in the class they're wanting to break into despite the fact that in comparison tests the 06 was beating the Jones in just about all categories. The suspension is the main driveabilty factor, IMHO. The more tricked out 07 will force down the price of any 06s remaining in inventory that's for sure.

My desire towards the 6-speed goes beyond driveability. In fact a 5-speed is probably more 'driveable' as you spend more time accelerating and less time shifting. I want the 6-speed for its strength. I plan to do a few track-day's and I want a transmission that can handle quite a bit of power as well. I want no 'if's, and's or but's' about it. You know what I mean?

Also, VDC is some kind of traction control which I am having a hard time finding information on. The local internet salesman told me to turn the VDC OFF in snow. I thought that is where you would want it most, but then again I understand very little about it.

Just to clarify, I know of at least 2 dealers (in northern IL) within 15 miles of me that still have an 06 on the lot. I think there is even a third dealer that might still have theirs so I know there are more then two left in the country.On of my main reasons of getting a spec B over a regular LGT is for nav. It was suggested to me by a friend to just get a regular LGT limited stick and mod it which is also something to think about.

If you got a LGT Limited, you could buy an aftermarket NAV system which would be much better than Subaru's stock system.

If you got a LGT Limited, you could buy an aftermarket NAV system which would be much better than Subaru's stock system.

The AM NAV system wouldn't be integrated into the the car's systems however. I don't have any experience with any NAV systems except for the OEM one on the Spec. It's works great and I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities.

My desire towards the 6-speed goes beyond driveability. In fact a 5-speed is probably more 'driveable' as you spend more time accelerating and less time shifting. I want the 6-speed for its strength. I plan to do a few track-day's and I want a transmission that can handle quite a bit of power as well. I want no 'if's, and's or but's' about it. You know what I mean?

Also, VDC is some kind of traction control which I am having a hard time finding information on. The local internet salesman told me to turn the VDC OFF in snow. I thought that is where you would want it most, but then again I understand very little about it.

Yep. I know what you mean and for that application it could be really useful as there have been no stories of the 5MT packing it in on the track you should gain an additional measure of confidence. That's a counterintuitive statement made by that salesman about the VDC but I know even less about that system than you.

They haven't been advertised anywhere locally. Strange.

LGT will have better resale and cheaper insurance.

my $.02

As the 07s are forcing the price of all 06s and any remaining 05s down, the resale value becomes dependent upon what one paid initially. I'm seeing ads for stock 07 LGTs for the same price as the new 06 Spec. B that was mentioned earlier on this thread. In that case, unless the 07 Spec. is singing its siren song to you, the 06 Spec. would be the obvious choice but that might be difficult because we're only getting reports of onesies or twosies left to be had.

The thing is that I was able to drive a hard bargain for my "nearly new" 06. I was in the right place at the right time and got an excellent deal as I always try to let someone take the "drive off the lot" depreciation hit. I figure cars are terrible investments so you owe it to yourself to get maximum bang for your buck because the money you put out for a car is going to leak through your fingers like a handful of sand. In my case, it truly was "Mission Accomplished". If hadn't found the Spec, I'd most likely be driving a G35 right now.

I think it is actually a pretty amazing system. This is similar to the ESP systems on other cars.

What, since it isnt on the 06 spec B you don't like it?? :lol: :lol:

If I lived on an icy mountain top, I'd be all over it. :icon_bigg As I've never owned an AWD car before, I want to learn how to drive it a la natural. If I had that system I'd probably use it all the time and never learn what the Spec. B was actually prone to do when at the edge of the envelope. It's the same reason I wanted a MT. Then again, I prefer sailboats to powerboats. However, I'm sure it's an excellent system.

If I lived on an icy mountain top, I'd be all over it. :icon_bigg As I've never owned an AWD car before, I want to learn how to drive it a la natural. If I had that system I'd probably use it all the time and never learn what the Spec. B was actually prone to do when at the edge of the envelope. It's the same reason I wanted a MT. Then again, I prefer sailboats to powerboats. However, I'm sure it's an excellent system.

You can turn the VDC off. It would be completely inactive.

To defend my own statement about knowing of 2-3 in the area. I see one every night on the way home from work. The other one I saw sitting at the dealer saturday so unless by some miracle they sold it yesterday its still there.

To defend my own statement about knowing of 2-3 in the area. I see one every night on the way home from work. The other one I saw sitting at the dealer saturday so unless by some miracle they sold it yesterday its still there.

What dealer and where?

The VDC is similar to the yaw system in the EVO in that it can actually help you drive faster and better near the edge of the envelope, and you can turn it off like Borti said.

I suppose the system is designed to reign you in when you exceed grip due to poor driving or, more accurately, poor driving in poor driving conditions. Me no want though I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers unless I lived on that icy mountain top. Probably some would find it very useful.

Ok... I actually drove an '07 Spec B today. My opinions have changed on some things.

I thought I would hate the seat color. The blue is dark enough that it is subtle and the alacantara feels much better to sit on. The leather did seem slightly better than mine especially the shifter boot.

I liked the new instrument cluster. Looks very nice although the mpg gauge is a pointless clutter.

I couldn't tell any noticeable difference with the sport sharp on but the car had 7 miles on it so who knows. The SI Drive badge on the center console looks horrible and is the only complaint I have although I don't think the stereo area matches as well color wise as the 06. The clutch feel is much different and it was hard for me to get a good engagement and smooth gear shift. This has more to do with unfamiliarity than anything else.

I was having a hard time selecting the right gear but this also has to do with it being new to me. The gear selection took very little effort to hit home once I actually selected the right one which was a nice touch. The ergonomics of the shift knob is really bad and it was kind of uncomfortable. The 5 speed knob really feels good in comparison. It really is hard to pull the reverse ring up since the distance is far from the knob.

I've seen two places on the forum where people have mentioned slightly stiffer suspension. Could be placebo effect but it seemed tighter to me. Better than my car and I have the JDM 20mm rear sway. If it is just different springs I will buy them for my 06. Opie, part number differences?

I like the exterior color and think it matches well with the interior. The Spec B I drove had no spoiler which I wish mine was spoilerless.

I have to admit I was tempted. If it wouldn't be such a bad economic decision I would have to think twice. It is a really nice car and new owners will not be disappointed. I'm really curious to see what next year will bring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psi365 viewpost.gif

What dealer and where?

-------------------------

Try Northshore Subaru.

I test drove an 06 spec b (spoiler, short shift kit, armrest ext. ) before ordering an 07. That was mid August.

Salesman's name was Bill. Straight shooter, cut straight to the chase on price.

I bet the 06 Spec B is still there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psi365 viewpost.gif

What dealer and where?

-------------------------

Try Northshore Subaru.

I test drove an 06 spec b (spoiler, short shift kit, armrest ext. ) before ordering an 07. That was mid August.

Salesman's name was Bill. Straight shooter, cut straight to the chase on price.

I bet the 06 Spec B is still there.

It's there at Northshore for $33.3k with 36 miles on it as per drivechicago.com.

I've only seen 2 LGTs on the road in 5000 miles of Chicagoland driving.

Archived