LegacyGT.com

Toyo Proxes T1-S

trouter

In my quest to improve the handling on my LGT wagon, i swapped out the OEM RE92's for Toyo Proxes T1-S tires in 225/45/17 sizes last week. The Toyo's are highly regarded by many of the more hard-core sports car enthusiasts. The new tires seem to require a touch more steering effort, which i like since the car was slightly "darty" when new. The ride has remained essentially the same, and freeway noise may just be a hair louder (could be my imagination though). But the best part of the new tires is the amazing grip! - No more squealing around corners. The tires provide such an improvement in cornering confidence. So for those who live in dry climates (or those who don't mind swapping for winter tires), definitely check these out as higher performing replacements for the much-maligned stockers

[quote] What did you do about speedo difference with the new size? I haven't done anything. According to the Toyo specs, the difference in tire diameter is roughly 2% (about 0.5 inches) - i think i read somewhere that anything less than 3% isn't really that much to worry about. The revs/mile haven't noticeably changed either (80 mph = 3500 rpm in 5th) Similarly, i haven't really experienced anything performance/acceleration loss due to the slightly higher overall gear ratio. I suppose when ECU reflashes become available, one could recalibrate the speedo to correct the difference. [/quote]

"The revs/mile haven't noticeably changed either (80 mph = 3500 rpm in 5th)" That is a VERY GOOD THING, since both of them are mechanically coupled to the engine's crankshaft! :o Your speedometer and your tachometer are measuring the rotational rates of different shafts that are geared together in a mechanical system. Thus a change in tire size can't affect the ratio of the tachometer and speedometer, if you are in the same gear before and after the tire swap.

That is a VERY GOOD THING, since both of them are mechanically coupled to the engine's crankshaft! Your speedometer and your tachometer are measuring the rotational rates of different shafts that are geared together in a mechanical system. Thus a change in tire size can't affect the ratio of the tachometer and speedometer, if you are in the same gear before and after the tire swap. [quote] Uhhh...that's true (took me a bit to catch what your saying). I guess i would need an independent speed reading GPS, radar gun, or even car following) me to correlate my new revs at speed. i guess 80mph FEELS the same as before, so my speedo error is rather minimal (not very accurate, but take it for what its worth). [/quote]

[quote name='racerdave']Yeah, I heard about the T1-R too... haven't seen them yet, but if they're out in spring, that could be just what I'm looking for. :) [url]http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.t1-s[/url] [img]http://www.toyo.co.uk/graphics/t1r_hi.jpg[/img][/quote] Hm.. those could provide some rivalry with people who use the Falken Azenis

With the larger tires according to the tire calculator on the Miata website, your overall diameter increased by about 1.4% So at a true 80 mph, you would be travelling 81.1 mph. You raised your final drive ratio just a bit too. Not enough for you to notice, as you said, but the car will accelerate just a P.H. slower because of it. But that may be offset by the fact that it's possible the Toyo's are a bit lighter than the stock Bridgestone. So it's a wash, except the speedo thing.

Yeah, you are probably correct. But the fact it's a 225/45 alone pretty much tells you the tire will be 10 mm wider and a bit taller than a 215/45 tire of the same size. I know there is variance in each tire manufacturer, but for all intents and purposes a 215/45 tire will be 215 mm wide and have a sidewall about 96.75 mm tall. Whereas a 225/45 tire will be 225 mm wide and have a sidewall about 101.25 mm tall or 4.5 mm taller...again give or take.

Archived