LegacyGT.com

So I was reading my owners manual and...

while looking at the Dimensions section (12-2) I noticed something kind of interesting. For ALL Legacy sedans and station wagons they list ground clearance of 5.9 inches (150 mm) EXCEPT the GT Wagon. It's listed as having a ground clearance of 6.1 inches (155 mm). Why do you suppose this is? Do you suppose the whole car sits 5 mm higher? If that's the case, the LGT Wagon would (without even considering the fact it's overall height is nearly two inches taller) have a higher center of gravity. I was trying to think of what would make the GT wagon have a higher ground clearance. What's different about it than the GT sedan. But I couldn't think of what they'd have to do differently that required them to either raise the car 5 mm or reroute something higher up. Anybody have any thoughts?

That small of a variation would lead me to believe that the location that they measure the ground clearance is different rather than the entire vehicle being higher by that amount. Perhaps it's a combination of the exhaust routing and suspension. The OBXT has the highest ground clearance of all OB wagons so it's not that strange that the GT wagon would be different too. Ken

[quote name='Ken S']That small of a variation would lead me to believe that the location that they measure the ground clearance is different rather than the entire vehicle being higher by that amount. Perhaps it's a combination of the exhaust routing and suspension. The OBXT has the highest ground clearance of all OB wagons so it's not that strange that the GT wagon would be different too. Ken[/quote] I don't think there is different locations of measure. When they speak of ground clearance, they have the car on a flat surface and measure from ground to the part of the car that's hanging down the lowest. Ground clearance is a bit missleading. Sure the ground clearance might be 5 inches at the lowest point (say the exhaust mufflers) but every other part might be 7 inches from the ground. I thought the same as you ans Scubie02, that it might be a slightlly taller/raised/stiffer suspension. Due to a couple things, 1- just like scubie mentioned, the ability and desire to carry more weight in the back. 2- simply because it's the heaviest Legacy (non outback) there is, so to compensate, the slightly stiffer spring settings raise the car 5 mm. I'd be curious to know what the GVWR (max load including the car) the GT wagon is and what the GT sedan is. If they are the same, that rules out the slightly stiffer suspension theory. I'd also be interested to know if it isn't a slightly stiffer/taller suspension (which would raise the whole car 5 mm too then) what exactly is different that the GT wagon has something that sticks down 5 mm further. Hmmm.

Umm, Legacy GT limited sedan is heavier than a regular GT wagon (3365 versus 3355), and what about the regular wagon? Think that would be used more often for cargo than a GT. Then again, perhaps the 100 pound difference between the base wagon and GT is enough of a difference? But that is really strange. Every other Legacy is 5.9, wonder what makes the GT wagon 6.1... Current GT owners, go check out your door jam! Good find. -B

[quote name='Beanboy']Umm, Legacy GT limited sedan is heavier than a regular GT wagon (3365 versus 3355), and what about the regular wagon? Think that would be used more often for cargo than a GT. [b]*** Correct, but the regular GT wagon and the GT sedan limited are very close in weight and the regular GT wagon has the same ground clearance.***[/b] Then again, perhaps the 100 pound difference between the base wagon and GT is enough of a difference? [b]***That's what I was thinking. The GT Wagon Limited is the only one that weighs over 3400 pounds curb weight, but they don't single out the GT-W Limited as the only one getting the extra 5 mm in height. They say all the GT Wagons are 5 mm higher ground clearance. It must have something to due with the weight it's certified to carry or maybe that combined with towing weight. That 100 extra pounds might make the difference.***[/b] But that is really strange. Every other Legacy is 5.9, wonder what makes the GT wagon 6.1... Current GT owners, go check out your door jam! Good find. -B[/quote] Okay, the my GT sedan Limited manual has: GVWR of 4435 GAWR Front of 2295 GAWR Rear of 2340 Anybody got the specs on the GT Wagon (manual prefered for comparison sake)?

Archived