LegacyGT.com

Damn cheap windshield!!!!

P. Henry

Just got back from a 700 mile business trip and after washing the car notice two areas on the winshield with little pits.

Of course 10 miles into my trip a rock flips up from an 18 wheeler and pegs the passenger side of the windshield. Now I notice three pits in the drivers view.

I've read all the issues about the great quality windshields from SOA. I should have stopped at the Subie plant since I passed it today driving thru Layfayette, IN on the way home to Chicago.

Ok, I'm done venting...for now.

$900.00:yikes!

I have a Leggie Speical Edition so not sure if I have the heated windshield like the GT's. I do have a black grid pattern at the top center of the windshield if that means anything.

Just got back from a 700 mile business trip and after washing the car notice two areas on the winshield with little pits.

Of course 10 miles into my trip a rock flips up from an 18 wheeler and pegs the passenger side of the windshield. Now I notice three pits in the drivers view.

I've read all the issues about the great quality windshields from SOA. I should have stopped at the Subie plant since I passed it today driving thru Layfayette, IN on the way home to Chicago.

Ok, I'm done venting...for now.

:lol: Don't stess...I'm on my 3rd windsheild in 35,000 miles!

Guest *Jedimaster*
$900.00:yikes!

I have a Leggie Speical Edition so not sure if I have the heated windshield like the GT's. I do have a black grid pattern at the top center of the windshield if that means anything.

Look at the bottom by the wipers- do you see any lines that are brownish orange? Those are the heaters.

I checked with the glass shop the other day and it mentioned something about the gaskets for the windshield, guess they need new ones when you take out the old glass. Apparently they come from Subaru, anyone know how much they cost? My glass wasn't too bad about 370 plus labour.

OEM glass from the dealer runs about $500 with molding. Plus labor, etc.

I watched the guy replace mine and asked a lot of questions so I know what they do pretty well.

The molding that you HAVE to get is the one that goes around the sides and top of the windshield. Make sure it does get replaced. It'll look kind of distorted in certain places once it is finished, but that's because Subaru packages the molding all rolled up. Rolled up trim will scretch in certain places and you can never get it to look perfectly straight.

Basically they cut the adhesive between the glass the the chassis. The guy who did my car said he loves working on Scoobys because the adhesive is so soft to cut. There will be some scratches in the paint under the glass, but they paint it with some primer, SOP.

There's also a possibility of scratching the top of the dash where it is hidden by the glass since he has to run the knife along the plastic to cut away the adhesive at the bottom of the windshield. You will never see the scratches unless you pull the glass or the dashboard off. There's nothing they can do to prevent it. It just the way the car was designed and there's no other way to run a knife to cut the adhesive and not scratch the plastic. If you don't watch the guy do it, you will never know the scratches are there, if there are any.

The one thing you might want to do is remove the interior trim that fits over a the passenger A pillar. Some people are very abusive in how they remove the trim since they don't know where the clips are. I pulled mine off before so I told the guy where the clips are just to prevent him from breaking it accidentally. The connector for wiper heater is located there.

arr, i have noticed simiar pits on my glass after my 700mi rnd trip from NYC to Rochester. first the soft/thin side panels, then soft glass?? o.O

i'm wondering, as P. Henry might be as well, do i have to fix/fill/repair these pits? they are not large enough to be annoying, and are only maybe .05-.3 mm deep (little nicks), but do i risk a crack or spreading, or anything of that nature? it gets REALLY cold here in the winter and i plan on using them heaters alot so the glass would be going through lots of thermal stress.

As long as the nicks are not near the edge of the glass, you are pretty safe. The crack I got with my windshield was a very small nick, but it was on the black portion on the side of the glass. That caused a crack to form almost half way across the glass. There were other chips that were bigger that didn't crack.

I have some small nicks also that would be way less noticeable if they were polished to remove the "white" look of the chip. They are not large enough for a repair, just big enough to catch your eye. Any ideas if I could use some compound on a buffing wheel on my Dremel, or am I asking for trouble?

Scotty, thanks for the detail of the replacement process.

It is still ugly.

You would need to fill it or else you will still see it as a distortion in the glass.

The DIY windshield repair kits are kind of scary. One of them I saw required taking a Dremel with a diamond bit and basically cutting into the glass to remove any possible chips within the nick or else the fill wouldn't be clear. Man, one slip and you could be out a lot more money. Definitely not a DIY. If you pay someone, THEY become responsible if they screw up can break your glass.

My chips are not large enough for repair and are not near a corner so I'll deal with them for now.

I did take some Zaino glass polish but that just made the glass smooth. Certainly can't fill in pits.

Archived