LegacyGT.com

Blue Shop towels okay to use for waxing?

<smacks sutter2k with a fish>

How much did you pay for your car? How much do you think the paint is worth? Why on earth would you want to use something 'cheap and disposable' on it? Why is it that a $.05 shop towel is preferable to use on your $8000 paint job? For applying wax you should use a foam applicator. To remove it you should use a microfiber towel. Shop towels are far too coarse to be used on your paint. I promise you that you will haze the paint if you continue to use paper towels to buff product off with. I shudder to think of what you are washing and drying with... (sees image of dried piece of leather chamois hanging from a peg in the garage next to a bucket with a sponge in it....)

It is true that a shop towel is probably softer than some old rag you have lying about. I guess if you want your paint to look like this when you are all done shining it up, then that is up to you.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/problem.jpg

You don't have to be a professional detailer, or even an obsessive enthusiast, to use the right tools for the job. You should buff product off your paint with the softest towels available. That does not include old t-shirts or bath towels. Read the directions on the wax you are using. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the word 'microfiber' on it somewhere if you bought it in the last five years.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Blue shop towels are made from paper and paper products will scratch your plastic surfaces (including lens covers inside and outside of your car) and your paint. Keep them away from anything you don't want scratched.

This product recommends/uses the blue shop towels. So they must be okay???
I hope that's another joke. No in short. That is a POS gimmick. To use buffing compounds, you use a wool pad or foam pad depending on the grit. Apply wax with a foam or cotton pad & buff off with microfiber. You will not regret doing it right...other ways?? Well, it's up to you.

About the only "cleaning" I would do with a blue shop towel is to apply cleaner wax on the wheels or windex to the windows.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Woody wax is like Collinite wax, its main focus is Marine/Aviation application. They both are great for cars though with unbelievable protection for the winter months if you live in the North East.

I think that woody-wax buffer is for marine/aviation use. Modern car paint unfortunately is a lot more sensitive :( Don't use that on it!

This is typically what I use. Seem softer than old cloth towels. Cheap and disposable. Just curious if they were generally okay.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

Dude, go to Wal-Marts and buy a couple of packages of Microfibre towels. Save the paper shop towels for cleaning windows or in the engine bay. The Microfibre towels are soft, soak up a load of water and do a great job without scratching the crap out of your paint. I bought a couple of different colors, one for body, one for windows, one for wheels.

Be well, be nice to paint, it will love you for it.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

^^Okay,

I have a water blade and microfiber towels for drying

foam pads for applying wax

Also microfiber pads for rubbing wax off???

What type of thing do you guys use for just using the quick detail/wet stuff spay(I used to use the blue shop towels for this)? Something disposeable?

^^Okay,

What type of thing do you guys use for just using the quick detail/wet stuff spay(I used to use the blue shop towels for this)? Something disposeable?

Microfibre towels. They be good.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Then chuck them in the washing machine? How many uses are they good for?

They seem to hold up pretty well. I wash them by themselves in the washer with a detergent and put vinegar in instead of bleach.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Archived