LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT really safer than BMW 325/330?

yikes. scenes from ferris bueller being played back in my head.

:p As to be expected. I haven't seen that movie, but I made sure to take care of all the cars.

As for you guys avoiding valet parking, please, continue to avoid them. Hahah.. If you really need to use it, see if they have an option to keep your car up front where it won't be able to be driven. Expect to pay a lot more, though (like $10-$20 in tips).

Anyways... back on topic..

-ben

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would take the word of the crash testers over a BMW salesman ...... call me crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:

My dad's BMW salesman tried to tell us that the X drive will out perform the Quattro on his A6 (that he was getting rid of). YEAH RIGHT!

I love the light weight doors. The funny part is the biggest complement I get. Everyone who rides in my car are like your doors are so light I love how easy they open and close. I don't have to worry about Valet because a valet will never touch my car.

Very interesting. I too like the legacy doors, nice and light. I drove my mother in laws Lexus SC430 last night, and everytime I open those doors they swing and hit the car next to me. They are just so darn heavy it drives me nuts!!!! Lightweight doors ftw!

Actually, the 07 Spec. B door "sounds" a lot more solid. There is a solid thwump when you close it, more so than my '05. Windows down though, its all the same...that's the price you pay for frameless windows.

Although, the 350z has frameless windows, but I haven't had the opportunity to close it with the windows down to compare.

Since you said you were expecting a baby, I just thought I should mention that it is darned hard to install a car seat in the center position in the Legacy. (It was also hard in my '99 Forester.) Subaru actually recommends against it, although they put a LATCH top tether there anyway. The hump in the seat makes it hard to get a good fit. On the bright side, it's very easy to get a good fit in the side positions, and the data shows that the center really isn't any safer than the outboard seats. But I thought I'd warn you, in case this is a big deal to you.

(My two kids (4 and 1) are in the outboard seats, and I feel very safe with them there.)

Just get the BMW.

Ha Ha. while not the same... my dad has a new 7 series... The past two summers when i've been home he's driven my car whenever he runs errands... At first his excuse was it was easier for him to grab my car than to have me move it so he could pull out of the garage. Then i started parking on the street and he'd still do it. He finally admitted he enjoyed driving the LGT... as if it wasn't obvious or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:p As to be expected. I haven't seen that movie, but I made sure to take care of all the cars.

Wait a minute... this has to be the most disturbing comment in this thread!:eek: Have you seriously not ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off?!?!:icon_conf I know that you may not even have been born when it first came out, but it's on tv just about every other day and is a true 80's classic.

I think when you live in a country that allows any citizen to drive at triple digit speeds you have no choice but to design cars that feel like vaults and feel planted and numb all at the same time when driving. That vague feeling you get sometimes on a stock Legacy would not be tolerated in a German mark even on the base models, at 120mph+ any slight wandering can be dangerous.

By the way in the mid 90's Mercedes was talking about re-engineering their doors so that they had that vault like thud when they closed. A lot of Mercedes owners were complaining that the doors did not feel like they did in their old Benzs. Although the doors where stronger and lighter than the ones in the 80's people still wanted that same solid feel.

I agree with everyone who says it comes down to personal choice. Test drive both. I intend to keep my Suby beyond 5 years, I don't think I would do that with a Beemer unless I could afford to.

Oh and for the car seat in the middle of the Legacy Wagon, get a car seat leveler, works fantastic.

Wait a minute... this has to be the most disturbing comment in this thread!:eek: Have you seriously not ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off?!?!:icon_conf I know that you may not even have been born when it first came out, but it's on tv just about every other day and is a true 80's classic.

+1 Thats like not seeing "The Breakfast Club" or "Risky Business" ;)

My son's car seat fits perfectly in the middle position of my LGT. No prob at all...

do yerself a favor though - go buy a NICE bath size towel to put under the carseat before you lock it in... the hard plastic car seats can chaf your leather :(

My Jeep tought me that. Cost me $80 to get that fixed...

Kids and carseats? Best left in mum's "lease vehicle"... I buy my vehicles, and LEASE my wife's. It just broke my heart too many times to see what that woman does to a vehicle. Her 05 fully loaded trailblazer is always dirty (though I bought her a book of wash passes for the carwash and left it in the visor for her), and the inside resembles an epiode of sanford and son. :(

I feel slightly better knowing that the mess she made of that once nice $38K vehicle is not **my mess** :lol: I LOVE "givin' it back to the stealership".

Drew

My dad's BMW salesman tried to tell us that the X drive will out perform the Quattro on his A6 (that he was getting rid of). YEAH RIGHT!

X Drive is pretty nice...I've spent some time in the dry and snow in an X3...I would bet that X Drive will outperform Audi's Quattro in the dry/wet....not sure about the snow...X Drive is RWD based and the front wheels will only drive and provide traction on an as needed basis...

My dad just bought a new A6 a few months ago...it feels like there's a giant pendulumon on the nose...look in the engine bay - the engine sits mostly ahead of the front axle....not good for handling.

About safety...you can't go wrong with either BMW and Subaru. My Bimmer is a much more solid car than my Legacy but I have just as much confidence in the Legacy with regards to safety.

X Drive is pretty nice...I've spent some time in the dry and snow in an X3...I would bet that X Drive will outperform Audi's Quattro in the dry/wet....not sure about the snow...X Drive is RWD based and the front wheels will only drive and provide traction on an as needed basis...

My dad just bought a new A6 a few months ago...it feels like there's a giant pendulumon on the nose...look in the engine bay - the engine sits mostly ahead of the front axle....not good for handling.

About safety...you can't go wrong with either BMW and Subaru. My Bimmer is a much more solid car than my Legacy but I have just as much confidence in the Legacy with regards to safety.

Your 05 is subastantially safer than your 01 Bimmer and safer than any Bimer to date. Just because a car's door makes a thud doesn't make it a safe car, just one that makes a thud.

BMW X Drive is like Mercedes 4matic, they basically took a regular rear wheel drive version and slapped the front drive on to it. The output shaft for the front drive pops out of the transmission at a right angle then takes another right angle to engage the front drive shaft:nono: All this takes place underneath the drivers seat.

Apart from the irregular weight balance this creates there is also the mechanical complexity to get that angled shaft working.

Subaru is symetrical. Its not a gimmick when they say that. The weight is perfectly balanced down the middle. There is no bizzario shaft sticking out of the tranny like a Borg :)

Your 05 is subastantially safer than your 01 Bimmer and safer than any Bimer to date. Just because a car's door makes a thud doesn't make it a safe car, just one that makes a thud.

:icon_conf

Did I ever say that because a door closes with a "better" thud means the car is safer...

In fact, I never mentioned anything about the doors. I only stated that the BMW is a more solid car. Did I say it was safer? No.

I would only hope that my 05 Subie is safer than my 01 M3 since it is the car that my 22 month old son is hauled around in 99% of the time....but I'm not 100% sure. It's never been tested by the NHTSA. The only data I've seen is for the 3-series sedan which is similar but not the same...My car is a coupe and it's heavier and wider. It also has several additional chasis reinforcements over a regular 3-series....and too many other differences to list.

BMW X Drive is like Mercedes 4matic, they basically took a regular rear wheel drive version and slapped the front drive on to it. The output shaft for the front drive pops out of the transmission at a right angle then takes another right angle to engage the front drive shaft:nono: All this takes place underneath the drivers seat.

Apart from the irregular weight balance this creates there is also the mechanical complexity to get that angled shaft working.

Subaru is symetrical. Its not a gimmick when they say that. The weight is perfectly balanced down the middle. There is no bizzario shaft sticking out of the tranny like a Borg :)

I agree that Subarus AWD system is simpler, more logical, balanced and less prone to problems...but BMW could not have car with their desired driving characteristics and intelligent stabilty control if it had a Symmetrical system like Subaru...each has their positives and negatives. I'm not saying BMWs has a better system...it just serves a different purpose.

The main thing I don't like about the Subie is that is has no traction or stability control...I don't care about it if I'm driving - I've done a fair amount of track driving and have a decent understanding of car control and dynamics...but my wife drives the car most of the time and it could definitely help her in snow or slippery conditions.

I agree that Subarus AWD system is simpler, more logical, balanced and less prone to problems...but BMW could not have car with their desired driving characteristics and intelligent stabilty control if it had a Symmetrical system like Subaru...each has their positives and negatives. I'm not saying BMWs has a better system...it just serves a different purpose.

The main thing I don't like about the Subie is that is has no traction or stability control...I don't care about it if I'm driving - I've done a fair amount of track driving and have a decent understanding of car control and dynamics...but my wife drives the car most of the time and it could definitely help her in snow or slippery conditions.

BMW's driving characteristics are flawless, something Subaru will prbably never match. Lexus has more money put to trying to match and still can't. But thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about the mechanical durability of an AWD system that is based on rear wheel drive car. It sucks and I think I read a test drive that showed it actually screwed up with the Bimmer handling in a slalom test.

I agree on the traction control. Subaru is screwing up on that one. I am suprised they don't have it on the 2007-2008's especially now that it has been officially recommended by the IIHS http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html. Cheaper cars have it. Rav4 for one. Maybe Subaru is afraid it won't be able to justify the higher premium on the H6 outback if they offer it to the lower models....maybe? They may not get a Gold recommended rating in 2008 from IIHS if they don't have it standard.

BMW's driving characteristics are flawless, something Subaru will prbably never match. Lexus has more money put to trying to match and still can't. But thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about the mechanical durability of an AWD system that is based on rear wheel drive car. It sucks and I think I read a test drive that showed it actually screwed up with the Bimmer handling in a slalom test.

I agree on the traction control. Subaru is screwing up on that one. I am suprised they don't have it on the 2007-2008's especially now that it has been officially recommended by the IIHS http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html. Cheaper cars have it. Rav4 for one. Maybe Subaru is afraid it won't be able to justify the higher premium on the H6 outback if they offer it to the lower models....maybe? They may not get a Gold recommended rating in 2008 from IIHS if they don't have it standard.

for '07 it's offered on every Turbo and H6 Outback and also on the GT w/ NAV and the Spec B.

It went from 1 Legacy/Outback model in MY 2006 to 9 Legacy/Outback models in MY 2007

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup...I would definitely have more confidence in the durabilty of Subaru's AWD system....I don't think anyone would question that.

With regards to the slalom test, you're probably thinking of active steering - that has been known to be react too slow in track or autocross conditions.

I've actually read that BMWs X-Drive was very quick to react and overall, worked very, very well. I've spent some time drifting in an X3 in the snow on a skidpad and it was pretty neat....you could feel the front wheels start to pull the instant you needed them to...

I've actually read that BMWs X-Drive was very quick to react and overall, worked very, very well. I've spent some time drifting in an X3 in the snow on a skidpad and it was pretty neat....you could feel the front wheels start to pull the instant you needed them to...

Im not exactly impressed by it. My commute home from work is wear I do my test driving (windy roads). The A6 handled it flawlessy, so does my LGT, but obviously the Legacy has 75 less hp. The 330 easily loses traction on the rear tires, when moderately accelerating. So while it does handle beautifully, its not as sophisticated as Quattro or Symmetrical.

Archived