LegacyGT.com

Here's why you should change your differential fluids

http://www.softwarepirate.net/pics/car/diffshavings1.jpg

http://www.softwarepirate.net/pics/car/diffshavings2.jpg

This came off the magnet in my front diff drain plug when I changed it and the rear today. Just past 30,650 miles .. feels good to get those break-in shavings out of the mix. The rear diff magnet wasn't nearly as bad. FYI, I put Redline 75w90NS in them.

Now go change that fluid!

It's scary when you see shavings like that. I'm afraid to look at mine due to several 2nd gear grinds. Still have to work on my personal tranny.....hand & foot synchro.

Thx for the tip

My wife's balls are delicious.

For the front, it took right around 1.5 quarts. For the rear it supposedly takes .8 quarts .. I just poured in a whole quart through some tubing and let the excess drip back out the fill plug.

That's weird, my diff and MT tranny oil didn't look nearly that bad when I changed at 30k. The drain plug on the rear diff had some gunk on it, but few if any shavings. The tranny drain plug was pretty clean IIRC. Glad you got that oil out of there!

I am not much of a mechanic as my question will reveal: Is that for manuals only or for automatics, also? I am buying a new 2007 Subaru and just want to know all the maintenance items that I should be mindful of.

Thanks.

Mine's an auto, and auto's have seperate drains for their transmission fluid and front diff fluids. In manuals, they share, so you'd be getting both at once. It should be done on both every 30k according to Subaru, though.

Oh and subastyle, nah, I can't tell any difference. Granted, I'm not exactly out there testing the differential's abilities every day :icon_mrgr

I just my rear diff and tranny fluid changed this past Friday with Red Line NS ... the fluid looked great, there was some sludge built up on the tranny drain plug. I am not sure, but it feels as if the car shifts a little smoother.

Archived