LegacyGT.com

Gauging Interest in Ohlins Fixed Perch Struts for Legacy!

In light of the success of the Ohlins fixed perch struts for WRX and STi applications, Ohlins has decided to introduce them to the US market in Legacy fitment. The Ohlins are very unique in their ability to combine comfort, handling, and compatibility with a wide range of spring rates. This is mostly due to their advanced piston technology, the Parallel Compression Valve, or PCV. The function, in principle, is that fluid is forced through needle valves at a low rate of flow, and through a number of apertures in the piston at a high rate of flow. The flow through these apertures is regulated by shims (thin steel washers) that at high pressure are deflected to open for the fluid.

When movement of the vehicle causes compression in the shock absorber, the fluid flows through the needle valve (combined compression and return valve) in the piston rod. If velocity of the piston is high, ie, in the case of rapid compression, this will not be sufficient and consequently the shims underneath the piston will open to allow a greater rate of flow. The fluid that is displaced by the volume of the piston rod is forced into the external fluid chamber via a separate compression valve. Even this valve is fitted with shims that open at high piston velocity. The separating piston is displaced, thus increasing the gas pressure.

When the spring presses the shock absorber out again, the fluid flows back through the needle valve in the piston rod. The fluid flowing into the chamber is forced by the pressure of the gas back into the shock absorber via a separate non-return valve. If velocity of the piston is high, the shims on top of the piston will also open to allow the fluid to flow through.

So what does all of this technical jargon mean? Basically, it means that these struts are designed to absorb quick, jarring bumps very smoothly, while still behaving like a more stiffly valved strut in terms of roll resistance. Very advanced stuff, and it truly shows. At this point, we are gauging interest in these, as we are trying to put together a preorder list to send off to Ohlins. Once they officially hit the market, we will begin stocking them regularly, as we do with the Impreza and Evo fitments, but we are just trying to get a sense of how much interest there really is in these struts. So let's hear some feedback and opinions, and feel free to ask questions as well. If you are interested in preordering a set, shoot us a PM and we can add you to the list.

-Dan

Very nice, many on here would love another strut option. I'm not sold on the Tokico's durability. But, Ohlins always makes me think $$$$, even if it is worth it. What kind of price are we looking at here?

for around the same money as these struts and any springs of choice, you could also get KW V2s with DMS camber plates. how would you compare those two set ups in terms of adjustability and performance?

I cannot comment on the Subaru setup, but the Ohlins in the racecar are absolutely AMAZING. You cant compare them to KWs, GroundControl, etc.

Their adjustment range is VERY nice.

http://www.roadracetech.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=78&g2_serialNumber=2

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

We have just about finished some back to back testing of the OHLINS street coilovers vs the DMS coilovers (40mm setups)

As most can imagine and agree, these are the two leading performance options on the market today for the majority of vehicules on the road or in competition.

I will post the results here (even though they are for an EVO) in a new thread. THe info is the same results on all applications, just shaft speeds, etc change.

If you are looking to use OEM springs, I would definatly recommend the OHLINS compared to anything else on the market. Coilovers, well I can not promote something that is direct competition, as both DMS and OHLINS have there positive and negative sides, and both are the same price.

Cheers,

-mark

^^Agreed...as far as replacement struts that use OEM style springs, we have found that the Ohlins are the best solution, period. As far as coilovers, things get a little more tricky due to the wide variety of available options. I have been running the Ohlins Sportline coilovers on my STi for a few months now and they are outstanding, much better than some of the others I've tried. I haven't personally had a chance to use DMS but I've heard good things.

-Dan

Archived