LegacyGT.com

About join you guys... need some info.

crazyravr

Quick intro..... I am currently driving a 2000 jetta TDI. The has 130K miles and has had ZERO problems to date. Soon I will need to do major maintanace work on the car and will need to spend around $1000-1500 (timing belt, water pump change is the majority of this cost). I can get a new car now instead of doing this maintnanance. I am looking for the new car to serve me just as well as the old one over 5yrs and similiar milage (I drive around 100 miles each day). Forking out large $$$ for gas does not concern me as I am getting reinbursed for that now.

After number of test drives I find the only real advantage LGT has over a '06 Jetta is the power and AWD (I cannot say anything good/bad about LGT reliablity as I dont know). The jetta wins in the styling, fit and finish, interior and trunk room (LGT wagon is not my cup of tea).

Questions...

- anyone here drive this car a lot (over 100miles/day and how do you like it)

- hows the interior holding up (my old '00 jetta interior looks like the day I got it)

- when it come to maintanance is it failry simple to do yourself or does dealer need to get involved

- any common problems with LGTs to know about (I will be looking at 5spd tranny)

Anyone has any opinions on this?

Hey welcome.

1. I don't drive it that much, but take it for looong road trips. Just completed a 4500 miles one. The car rocks, but gas economy sucks if you drive fast (I drive 90mph + most of the time).

2. Can't say.

3. Depends. Simple maintanece, oil, filters, etc, are super easy. Replacing spark plugs on the boxer won't be fun.

4. Nothing major. Radiator fun geting stuck problem, shitty brake pads leaving deposits on rotors.

Get the car, don't sweat it, but be prepared for gas economy shock, especially you're coming from a TDI.

You'll love the LGT except for the fact that your fuel bills will double. At 100 miles/day it'll cost you about $2K/year more @ 5 days/week.. Thats a lot-o-dough. I went from an '05 Ford F-150 5.4L to my OBXT. My daily fuel cost is about two-thirds of what it was. The Ford hasn't been moved in a month.

So whats an average lets say 50/50 hwy/city gas milage on the car? I think I do more like 80/20 hwy/city but I want to be prepared for the worse hehehe (I tried doing a search on it but cant find anything).... also I dont drive more then 70-80mph.

So whats an average lets say 50/50 hwy/city gas milage on the car? I think I do more like 80/20 hwy/city but I want to be prepared for the worse hehehe (I tried doing a search on it but cant find anything).... also I dont drive more then 70-80mph.

I drive about 75% of my miles on the highway and I've been getting 25-26 mpg going easy on the throttle. I generally keep it around 75 on the highway as well. 50/50 driving you might be looking at 21-22mpg depending on how you drive the car, from my experience anyways.

EDIT: with the 5-speed manual btw

Hey welcome.

1. I don't drive it that much, but take it for looong road trips. Just completed a 4500 miles one. The car rocks, but gas economy sucks if you drive fast (I drive 90mph + most of the time).

Hmm, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, just passing through asking a quick Q:

I drive kinda fast too (90-110mph) on the highways (of course...), so you seem to be the right driver to ask this to, so in that sense could you quantify "sucks" as per reference to gas economy when going 100mph? Like... how much? :)

Hmm, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, just passing through asking a quick Q:

I drive kinda fast too (90-110mph) on the highways (of course...), so you seem to be the right driver to ask this to, so in that sense could you quantify "sucks" as per reference to gas economy when going 100mph? Like... how much? :)

It's seems to be around 16-18 mpg. Kinda sucks, but due to short gearing of 5th gear the car stays in boost all the time at those speeds.

Another thing is, perhaps I have a bad apple. I recently completed a tank driving like grandma, single WOT for entire tank, easy accelaration, 80 mph on highways, very few (like 3-4) speedups to 85-90 mph) and got only 22 mpg, which is kinda low. Part of it might be the think 10W-40 dino oil I am running now.

Whaow... that's a lot, especially when using premium... but when I think of it, I probably do not do much more than that with my Accord at those kinda speeds.

And we must not forget that it's far more fun driving at those speed, thus worth the extra dollar :)

Just think of yourself, at night, super low trafic, the road is long and perfect, driving an interstate, going 107 mph, just having blast, listening to your favorite rock song, that's just too cool to miss out. Free fun is a myth...

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but could you explain in a little more details: "due to short gearing of 5th gear the car stays in boost all the time at those speeds"? is this normal on all LGT? (If you don't want to change topic, PM me instead).

And thanks for the info unclemat!

Whaow... that's a lot, especially when using premium... but when I think of it, I probably do not do much more than that with my Accord at those kinda speeds.

And we must not forget that it's far more fun driving at those speed, thus worth the extra dollar :)

Just think of yourself, at night, super low trafic, the road is long and perfect, driving an interstate, going 107 mph, just having blast, listening to your favorite rock song, that's just too cool to miss out. Free fun is a myth...

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but could you explain in a little more details: "due to short gearing of 5th gear the car stays in boost all the time at those speeds"? is this normal on all LGT? (If you don't want to change topic, PM me instead).

And thanks for the info unclemat!

It simply means that the rpms are high at those speeds. Like 4k rpm at 100 mph. At those rpms turbo pumps boost and that eats gas.

If you could coast at, say 2.8k rpm at 100 mph, you would be out of boost and use less gas.

I am not expert on this, but this is more or less how it works. It's debatable how much longer gearing would help, but apparently it does as 07 SpecB that comes with 6spd tranny has better fuel economy ratings than 07 GT.

It simply means that the rpms are high at those speeds. Like 4k rpm at 100 mph. At those rpms turbo pumps boost and that eats gas.

If you could coast at, say 2.8k at 100 mph, you would be out of boost and use less power.

I am not expert on this, but this is more or less how it works. It's debatable how much longer gearing would help, but apparently it does as 07 SpecB that comes with 6spd tranny has better fuel economy ratings.

Ah ok, now I get you, thanks!

To be honest, I'd say you were lucky to get all those trouble free miles out of a VW!!

My last two cars were Accords....buying a Subaru was new to me. But having done extensive research and reading it became apparent that Subaru reliability is excellent. I've had my car for a year now have had zero problems. It runs like the day I got it (only faster) and I have no regrets. Having AWD is peace of mind given the weather in New England.

Best of luck with whatever car you choose.

- The Mortgage Man

Archived